|• Municipal manager||Seppo Ruhanen|
|• Total||746.59 km2 (288.26 sq mi)|
|• Land||465.38 km2 (179.68 sq mi)|
|• Water||281.2 km2 (108.6 sq mi)|
|• Rank||186th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||253rd largest in Finland|
|• Density||4.58/km2 (11.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||10.9%|
|• 15 to 64||52.1%|
|• 65 or older||37%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||20%|
It is located in the Southern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 2,132 (31 December 2021) and covers an area of 746.59 square kilometres (288.26 sq mi) of which 281.2 km2 (108.6 sq mi) is water. The population density is 4.58 inhabitants per square kilometre (11.9/sq mi).
Hirvensalmi is often said to be an island municipality. Most people live on the mainland, but living on an island is not unheard of. Most islands, though, are only inhabited during the summer holidays, when holidaymakers come mainly from Southern Finland and double the population of Hirvensalmi. In the north lake Puula marks the border of Hirvensalmi and Kangasniemi, and in the west lake Suontee separates it from Joutsa.
The municipality is unilingual Finnish.
Hirvenlahti, Hirvensalmi, Hämeenmäki, Kekkola, Kilkki, Kissakoski, Kotkatvesi, Kuitula, Lahnaniemi, Lelkola, Malvaniemi, Monikkala, Noitti, Pääskynsaari, Suonsalmi, Syväsmäki, Vahvamäki, Vahvaselkä, and Väisälä.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M12*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 February 2022.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003–2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.1.2012" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Archived from the original on 3 October 2013. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
Media related to Hirvensalmi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Hirvensalmi – Official site (in Finnish and English)