Luke 19 is the nineteenth chapter of the Gospel of Luke in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. It records Jesus' arrival in Jericho and his meeting with Zacchaeus, a parable and his arrival in Jerusalem. The book containing this chapter is anonymous, but early Christian tradition uniformly affirmed that Luke composed this Gospel as well as the Acts of the Apostles.
Luke 6:4-16 on Papyrus 4, written about AD 150-175.
|Book||Gospel of Luke|
|Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Bible part||3|
- The original text is written in Koine Greek.
- Some most ancient manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- This chapter is divided into 48 verses.
Old Testament cross referencesEdit
Zacchaeus (Greek: Ζακχαῖος, Zakchaios; Hebrew: זכי, "pure", "innocent" ) of Jericho was wealthy, a chief tax-collector, mentioned only in the Gospel of Luke. A descendent of Abraham, he was a poster child for Jesus' personal, earthly mission to bring salvation to the lost. Tax collectors were despised as traitors (working for the Roman Empire, not for their Jewish community), and as being corrupt.
Jesus' entry to JerusalemEdit
As he drew near to the city, Jesus wept, anticipating the destruction of the Temple.Lutheran biblical scholar Johann Bengel contrasts Jesus' reaction with the immediately preceding scene of rejoicing:
- Behold before thee the compassionate King, amidst the very shouts of joy raised by His disciples!
- Jesus weeps over Jerusalem, and yet compels no man by force.
Jesus cleanses the TempleEdit
- [Jesus said] unto them, It is written, My house is the house of prayer: but ye have made it a den of thieves.
- Halley, Henry H. Halley's Bible Handbook: an Abbreviated Bible Commentary. 23rd edition. Zondervan Publishing House. 1962.
- Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook. Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville, Tennessee. 2012.
- Milligan, Jim. "Lexicon :: Strong's G2195 - Zakchaios". Blue Letter Bible. Sowing Circle.
- Luke 19:1-10
- Warfield, Benjamin Breckinridge. "Jesus' Mission, According to His Own Testimony". Monergism. CPR Foundation.
- Luke 19:41-44
- Bengel, J. A., Bengel's Gnomon of the New Testament on Luke 19, accessed 11 July 2018
- Luke 19:46