Love Thy Woman
Love Thy Woman is a 2020 Philippine drama television series broadcast by Kapamilya Channel. Directed by Jeffrey Jeturian and Jerry Lopez Sineneng, it stars Kim Chiu, Yam Concepcion, Xian Lim, Eula Valdez, Sunshine Cruz, Zsa Zsa Padilla, Ruffa Gutierrez and Christopher de Leon. The series aired on ABS-CBN's Kapamilya Gold afternoon block and worldwide via The Filipino Channel from February 10 to September 11, 2020, replacing Kadenang Ginto.
|Love Thy Woman|
|Opening theme||"Mahal Ko o Mahal Ako" by Regine Velasquez-Alcasid|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||95 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company||Dreamscape Entertainment|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||February 10 –|
September 11, 2020
Jia Wong and Dana Wong are half-sisters and daughters of Chinese Filipino self-made billionaire Adam Wong with two different women. Jia's mother is Kai Estrella, Adam's mistress, and Dana's mother is Lucy Gongsu Wong, Adam's wife. The Wong daughters are beautiful, charming and intelligent, groomed to lead and head Dragon Empire Builders, a multi-million peso real estate business established by Adam.
Adam acknowledges his relationship with Kai and his daughter Jia, who form part of the Wong immediate family, attending all family and social events. Adam's wife, Lucy, is not happy about this but swallows her resentment and accepts their constant presence in their lives.
Lucy comes from a wealthy Singaporean family, her Filipino mother was one of her father's wives. Her mother leaves and Lucy is raised by her Chinese Singaporean father who hates and mistrusts Filipinos (including Chinese Filipinos). So when Lucy fell in love with Adam, her father disowns and curses her. Lucy never sees her family again. After Adam's indiscretion with Kai, Lucy saw it as the unravelling of her father's curse. Forced to accept her husband's mistress, the two families coexist under Adam's care. Because Adam is a prominent businessman, society accepts Kai as Adam's consort with a place in the social structure.
Jia is an interior designer. Dana finished architecture in Singapore where she met and fell in love with David Chao.
Dana becomes pregnant with David and the couple plans to marry. As part of a pre-wedding ritual, the families have the couple's fortune read. The seer warns them of the curse and urges them to stop the wedding. Despite Lucy's apprehensions, Adam does not believe in the curse and the wedding follows. The "Wedding of the Year" that begins like a fairy tale, ends in a tragic car accident, leaving Dana in a deep coma. Medical experts from different countries step in with modern treatments but nobody can induce Dana out of her comatose state. The Wongs and the Chaos watch over Dana for over a year. Lucy believes that the curse is at work.
It was during this emotional time that Jia and David's shared grief of possibly losing Dana, blossoms into an illicit affair which results in chaos within the family. Harsh condemnation by Adam and Lucy and Jia's regret over betraying her sister, drive Kai and Jia to leave the Wong's to start a new life on their own in Singapore. Jia discovers she is pregnant with David's son and finds success as a furniture designer, opening a furniture store with her boss, Richie Tan. But despite her success, the curse follows her as she suffers from breast cancer and loses her son.
Meanwhile, in Manila, Dana comes out of her coma. As she recovers, she is curious about what happened during the 18 months she was asleep. No one can give her a straight answer on why Jia and Kai left. Not believing that her father banished Jia for venturing out on her own, Dana becomes suspicious of David having an affair and that Jia's disappearance is related to David's emotional distance.
While David tries to make up for his indiscretion by sticking to their marriage, Dana's obsession to get the truth drives her to maltreat David. He considers filing for an annulment. Adam and Lucy are happy about this because they have not forgiven David for his betrayal of Dana.
Amidst the turmoil in their marriage, it is revealed that Jia's son did not die. Kai's brother Harry kidnapped the baby and was given to Lucy in exchange for money for Jia's cancer treatment. Unbeknownst to everyone except Lucy, the infant is left at the gate of the Wong's residence and adopted by David and Dana.
In Singapore, Jia recovers from her illness and together with Richie Tan, opens RJ&E Design, a furniture design and manufacturing company that becomes the most sought out furniture maker in Asia.
In Manila, Dana is in line to become the next CEO of Dragon Empire Builders once Adam announces his retirement. Motivated to expand and increase their sales as VP of Operations, Dana is set on a brand alliance with RJ&E Design. After several attempts for a meeting to submit a proposal, Lucy and Dana fly to Singapore and discover that Jia is the owner. Jia turns down their proposal. After advising Adam of their unsuccessful proposal, Adam makes some inquiries of his own and discovers Jia is the owner. He flies to Singapore and they have a happy reunion. Flushed with emotions after being separated for a decade, he convinces Jia to return to Manila with the promise to protect her from Lucy and Dana. Jia admits her indiscretion to Dana, hoping to be free of the curse.
From keeping Chinese traditions and Filipino values alive to adapt with the changing times, Love Thy Woman, a family saga spanning two generations, explores love's dark side and the duplicitous polarity of betrayal. A family's journey to heal the mistakes and wounds of the past.
Cast and charactersEdit
- Main cast
- Kim Chiu as Jia E. Wong
- Yam Concepcion as Dana G. Wong-Chao
- Xian Lim as David Chao†
- Eula Valdez as Lucinda "Lucy" Gongsu-Wong
- Sunshine Cruz as Rebecca "Kai" Estrella
- Zsa Zsa Padilla as Helen Chao
- Ruffa Gutierrez as Amanda del Mundo
- Christopher de Leon as Adam Wong†
- Supporting cast
- David Chua as Harold "Harry" Estrella
- Jennifer Sevilla as Carol Teng
- Mari Kaimo as Manny Tanchangco†
- Janna Victoria as Donna Lee
- Tim Yap as Timothy "Tim" Go
- Tart Carlos as Cindy Ong
- Karl Gabriel as Gabriel "Gab" del Mundo
- Turs Daza as Patrick Matienzo
- Aurora Yumul as Kong Lin
- Olive Isidro as Shelia "Shelly" Ramos
- Shido Roxas as Jacob "Jimmy" Tanchangco
- Chienna Filomeno as Tiffany Go
- Marina Benipayo as Alicia Chua
- Lloyd Samartino as Eric Chua
- Bryan Santos as Jefferson Chua
- Richard Juan as Richard "Richie" Tan
- MJ Cayabyab as Summer Dy
- Tori Garcia as Abigail Tanchangco
- Mikee Agustin as Rosslyn "Ross" Flores
- JC Gamez as Eddie Reyes
- China Yoo as Everly Soo
- Kimberly Tan as Ellie Reyes
- Abi Kassem as Olive Chan
- JJ Quilantang as Michael W. Chao / Jianyu E. Wong
- Dominic Ochoa as Simon Cruz
- Diana Mackey as Sophie Matienzo
- Ding Dimaunahan as Macario Yalung
- Guest cast
The series airs on ABS-CBN's Kapamilya Gold afternoon block and worldwide on The Filipino Channel.
Despite the community quarantines already lingering, Love Thy Woman continued airing 5 of its fresh, new episodes from March 16–20, 2020.
However, in response to the community quarantine caused by the COVID-19 pandemic in the Philippines, the show temporarily stopped filming new episodes and was temporarily taking over by reruns of Walang Hanggan, The Legal Wife, and Got to Believe beginning March 23, 2020.
Thereafter, the show's future would be placed in doubt after the temporary closure of ABS-CBN following the cease and desist order issued by the National Telecommunications Commission on account of its franchise expiration. However, on June 4, 2020, it was announced that the show would make its return on June 15, 2020 on cable-and-satellite channel Kapamilya Channel.
|Pilot Episode||Finale Episode||Peak||Average|
February 10, 2020
September 11, 2020
- "Presenting the powerhouse cast of Dreamcape's newest teleserye Love Thy Woman". ABS-CBN Entertainment. April 8, 2019. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- "'I'm happy to be back': Xian Lim reunites with Kim Chiu in new series". ABS-CBN News. April 8, 2019. Retrieved February 10, 2020.
- "Yam Concepcion, balik-teleserye sa Love Thy Woman". ABS-CBN News. July 30, 2019. Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- "STORYCON PHOTOS: Presenting the powerhouse cast of Dreamcape's newest teleserye "Love Thy Woman" | ABS-CBN Entertainment". ent.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved June 24, 2020.
- "Ruffa Gutierrez, balik-teleserye sa Love Thy Woman". ABS-CBN News. April 11, 2019. Retrieved February 10, 2020.
- "Tim Yap set to make teleserye debut in new Kim-Xian series". ABS-CBN News. April 9, 2019. Retrieved February 10, 2020.
- "Meet Richie Tan in real life in these charming photos". ABS-CBN News. March 19, 2020. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
- "How Erich feels about working with Kim, Xian again". ABS-CBN News. April 8, 2019.
- Siazon, Rachelle (July 25, 2019). "Erich Gonzales backs out of her role in Love Thy Woman". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved July 26, 2019.
- "READ: ABS-CBN statement on special primetime programming amid Metro Manila quarantine". ABS-CBN News. March 14, 2020. Retrieved March 29, 2020.
- "No missing Coco on TV: 'Walang Hanggan' returning as afternoon serye". ABS-CBN News. March 20, 2020. Retrieved March 20, 2020.
- "'The Legal Wife' at 'Got To Believe', muling magbabalik". ABS-CBN News. March 18, 2020. Retrieved March 31, 2020.
- Mendoza, Red (March 17, 2020). "Actor Christopher De Leon tests positive for Covid-19". The Manila Times. Retrieved March 31, 2020.
- "Christopher de Leon's co-stars in self-quarantine after his COVID-19 diagnosis". CNN Philippines. March 17, 2020. Retrieved March 31, 2020.
- Rivas, Ralf (May 5, 2020). "ABS-CBN goes off-air after NTC order". Rappler. Retrieved June 26, 2020.
- "FPJ's Ang Probinsyano and other favorite Kapamilya shows return on cable and satellite TV". ABS-CBN News. ABS-CBN Corporation. June 4, 2020. Retrieved June 4, 2020.
- "Ratings: 'Make It With You' makes it as No. 1 show in time slot despite new rival". ABS-CBN News. February 14, 2020. Retrieved February 17, 2020.