Love Affair (1939 film)
Love Affair is a 1939 American romantic film starring Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer and featuring Maria Ouspenskaya. It was directed by Leo McCarey and written by Delmer Daves and Donald Ogden Stewart, based on a story by McCarey and Mildred Cram. The movie was remade in 1957 as An Affair to Remember. It has also been remade into an Indian film of Hindi language Mann (film)(1999).
original film poster
|Directed by||Leo McCarey|
|Produced by||Leo McCarey|
|Screenplay by||Delmer Daves|
Donald Ogden Stewart
|Story by||Leo McCarey|
|Music by||Roy Webb|
|Edited by||Edward Dmytryk|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
|Box office||$1.8 million|
French painter Michel Marnet (Charles Boyer) meets American singer Terry McKay (Irene Dunne) aboard a liner crossing the Atlantic Ocean. They are both already engaged, he to heiress Lois Clarke (Astrid Allwyn), she to Kenneth Bradley (Lee Bowman). They begin to flirt and to dine together on the ship, but his notoriety and popularity on the ship make them conscious that others are watching. Eventually, they decide that they should dine separately and not associate with each other. At a stop at Madeira, they visit Michel's grandmother Janou (Maria Ouspenskaya), who approves of Terry and wants Michel to settle down.
As the ship is ready to disembark at New York City, the two make an appointment to meet six months later on top of the Empire State Building. Michel chooses six months because that is the amount of time he needs to decide whether he can start making enough money to support a relationship with Terry. When the rendezvous date arrives, they both head to the Empire State Building. However, Terry is struck by a car right as she arrives, and is told that she may not be able to walk, though that will not be known for certain for six months. Not wanting to be a burden to Michel, she does not contact him, preferring to let him think the worst. Meanwhile, Terry finds a job working at an orphanage teaching the children how to sing.
Six months go by, and during Terry's first outing since the accident, the two couples meet by accident at the theater, though Terry manages to conceal her condition. Michel then visits her at her apartment and finally learns the truth. He assures her that they will be together no matter what the diagnosis will be.
- Irene Dunne as Terry McKay
- Charles Boyer as Michel Marnet
- Maria Ouspenskaya as Grandmother Janou
- Lee Bowman as Kenneth Bradley
- Astrid Allwyn as Lois Clarke
- Maurice Moscovitch as Maurice Cobert, art dealer
- Scotty Beckett as Boy on Ship (uncredited)
- Frank McGlynn Sr. as Orphanage Superintendent (uncredited)
Love Affair film was remade by McCarey in 1957 as An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr in the lead roles, using a very similar screenplay, and by Glenn Gordon Caron in 1994 as Love Affair, starring Warren Beatty, Annette Bening and, in her last feature film, Katharine Hepburn. A 1999 Bollywood movie titled Mann was made based on the same story.
12th Academy AwardsEdit
In 1967, the film entered the public domain in the United States because the claimants did not renew its copyright registration in the 28th year after publication. Because of this, the film is widely available on home video and online. The film can be downloaded legally for free on the Internet Archive.
- Richard Jewel, 'RKO Film Grosses: 1931-1951', Historical Journal of Film Radio and Television, Vol 14 No 1, 1994 p. 56
- "Love Affair 1939". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved May 22, 2016.
- "Love Affair 1994". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved May 22, 2016.
- "Oscars.org -- Love Affair" Archived 2015-06-10 at the Wayback Machine. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- Pierce, David (June 2007). "Forgotten Faces: Why Some of Our Cinema Heritage Is Part of the Public Domain". Film History: An International Journal. 19 (2): 125–43. doi:10.2979/FIL.2007.19.2.125. ISSN 0892-2160. JSTOR 25165419. OCLC 15122313.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Love Affair (film).|
- Love Affair at the American Film Institute Catalog
- Love Affair on IMDb
- Love Affair at Rotten Tomatoes
- Love Affair is available for free download at the Internet Archive
- Love Affair at the TCM Movie Database
- Love Affair at AllMovie