List of presidents of Georgetown University
The President of Georgetown University is the chief executive officer of Georgetown University. He is ex officio one of the five members of the President and Directors of Georgetown College, the legal entity in which the university is incorporated. The president is also a member ex officio of the university's board of directors, which is responsible under the university's bylaws for managing the "property and business" and other functions of the university. The president is one of four officers of the university explicitly created by the school's charter, alongside the provost, secretary, and treasurer; the holder of the office is elected by the board of directors and may be removed by a majority vote of the whole board.
|President of Georgetown University|
Seal of Georgetown University
|Appointer||Directors of Georgetown College|
|First holder||Robert Plunkett|
The president is charged with control over the "business affairs and properties" of the university, which include presiding over meetings of the corporation and appointing the provost, secretary, and treasurer of the university with the concurrence of the board, as well as other officers, vice presidents, and administrators. The president may remove any officer, vice president, or administrator by his accord, except the provost, secretary, and treasurer, which require the concurrence of the board. A voting member of the board of directors, the president is also an ex officio member of all of its standing committees. In the event that the office is vacant, the powers of the presidency are exercised by the provost.
The founder of Georgetown University, John Carroll, never served as president. Having established the school in 1789, Carroll was unable to find a someone willing to accept the job; he eventually persuaded Robert Plunkett to become the first president of Georgetown in 1791. There have been forty-eight presidencies, occupied by forty-one distinct officeholders, as seven served two terms. Forty-seven of those forty-eight occupants were Catholic priests, and the vast majority have been Jesuits. Until the 1960s, the president of the university was also the rector of the Jesuit community, meaning that the term of office was limited to six years.
The first layman to hold the office is the current president, John J. DeGioia, who was also the first lay president of any Jesuit university. Having assumed the office in July 1, 2001, he is the longest holder of the presidency.
The salary of the president is set by the board of directors. It has fluctuated over the years, and can vary considerably based on bonuses and benefits, which can include housing and retirement plans. As of 2012[update], the president's base salary was approximately $500,000. With extras, the effective salary can be twice this amount.
List of presidentsEdit
|1.||Robert Plunkett, S.J.||1791||1793|
|2.||Robert Molyneux, S.J.||1793||1796|
|3.||Louis Guillaume Valentin Dubourg, S.S.||1796||1798|
|4.||Leonard Neale, S.J.||1798||1806|
|5.||Robert Molyneux, S.J.||1806||1808|
|–||Francis Neale, S.J.||1808||1809|
|6.||William Matthews, S.J.*||1809||1809|
|7.||Francis Neale, S.J.||1809||1812|
|8.||Giovanni Antonio Grassi, S.J.||1812||1817|
|9.||Benedict Joseph Fenwick, S.J.*||1817||1817|
|10.||Anthony Kohlmann, S.J.||1817||1820|
|11.||Enoch Fenwick, S.J.||1820||1825|
|–||Benedict Joseph Fenwick, S.J.*||1825||1825|
|12.||Stephen Larigaudelle Dubuisson, S.J.*||1825||1826|
|13.||William Feiner, S.J.||1826||1829|
|14.||John W. Beschter, S.J.||1829||1829|
|15.||Thomas F. Mulledy, S.J.*||1829||1838|
|16.||William McSherry, S.J.*||1838||1839|
|–||Joseph A. Lopez, S.J.||1839||1840|
|17.||James A. Ryder, S.J.*||1840||1845|
|18.||Samuel Mulledy, S.J.*||1845||1845|
|19.||Thomas F. Mulledy, S.J.*||1845||1848|
|20.||James A. Ryder, S.J.*||1848||1851|
|21.||Charles H. Stonestreet, S.J.*||1851||1852|
|22.||Bernard A. Maguire, S.J.*||1852||1858|
|23.||John Early, S.J.*||1858||1865|
|24.||Bernard A. Maguire, S.J.*||1866||1870|
|25.||John Early, S.J.*||1870||1873|
|26.||Patrick Francis Healy, S.J.||1873||1882|
|27.||James A. Doonan, S.J.*||1882||1888|
|28.||J. Havens Richards, S.J.||1888||1898|
|29.||John D. Whitney, S.J.||1898||1901|
|30.||Jerome Daugherty, S.J.||1901||1905|
|31.||David Hillhouse Buel, S.J.||1905||1908|
|32.||Joseph J. Himmel, S.J.||1908||1912|
|33.||Alphonsus J. Donlon, S.J.*||1912||1918|
|34.||John B. Creeden, S.J.||1918||1924|
|35.||Charles W. Lyons, S.J.||1924||1928|
|36.||W. Coleman Nevils, S.J.||1928||1935|
|37.||Arthur A. O'Leary, S.J.||1935||1942|
|38.||Lawrence C. Gorman, S.J.||1942||1949|
|39.||J. Hunter Guthrie, S.J.||1949||1952|
|40.||Edward B. Bunn, S.J.||1952||1964|
|41.||Gerard J. Campbell, S.J.||1964||1968|
|–||Edwin Quain, S.J.||1969||1969|
|42.||Robert J. Henle, S.J.||1969||1976|
|43.||Timothy S. Healy, S.J.||1976||1989|
|44.||Leo J. O'Donovan, S.J.*||1989||2001|
|45.||John J. DeGioia*||2001||present|
- "Charter of the University". Georgetown University. Archived from the original on July 8, 2018. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- "Bylaws of the President and Georgetown College". Georgetown University. Archived from the original on July 9, 2017. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- "Historical Sketch of Georgetown University". Georgetown University Library. Archived from the original on December 1, 2017. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- Curran, Robert Emmett (1993). The Bicentennial History of Georgetown University: From academy to university, 1789-1889. Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press. p. 31. ISBN 9780878404858. Archived from the original on November 29, 2018. Retrieved November 29, 2018 – via Google Books.
- "Georgetown University Presidents". The Hoya. February 16, 2001. Archived from the original on September 29, 2007. Retrieved March 1, 2007.
- Hinchliffe, Emma (August 26, 2014). "13 Years In, DeGioia Outlasts Predecessors in President's Office". The Hoya. Archived from the original on July 11, 2018. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- Walsh, John. "Lay Leadership". John Carroll University Alumni Magazine. Archived from the original on May 9, 2016. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- "Biography". Georgetown University. Archived from the original on July 10, 2018. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- Allen, Charlotte (January 13, 2016). "$400K DeGioia Bonus Goes to GSP". The Hoya. Archived from the original on September 3, 2016. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- Curran, Robert Emmett (1993). "Appendix D: The Presidents, Prefects, and Deans in Georgetown's First Century". The Bicentennial History of Georgetown University: From academy to university, 1789-1889. 1. Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press. p. 404. ISBN 0-87840-485-6. Archived from the original on January 14, 2019. Retrieved January 15, 2019 – via Google Books.
- Curran, Robert Emmett (2010). "Appendix B: Presidents of the University, 1952—2010". A History of Georgetown University: The Rise to Prominence, 1964—1989. 3. Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press. p. 290. ISBN 978-1-58901-691-0.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Presidents of Georgetown University.|