List of largest mosques
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A mosque, or masjid (Arabic: مَـسْـجِـد), is a place of worship for Muslims. Mosques have the capacity to accommodate a large number of worshippers for prayer services known as Salah. Some mosques that are destinations for pilgrimages are also some of the largest mosques in the world — the largest mosque in the world is the Great Mosque of Mecca, which is a site of pilgrimage for the Hajj. All the mosques in this list are also known as Jama Masjid, a type of mosque designed to accommodate the Friday congregational prayer known as jummah.
This list lists mosques all over the world that can accommodate at least 100,000 worshipers. Some mosques provide information on the capacity of worshippers it can accommodate in different prayer spaces, such as prayer hall, courtyard known as sahn, and portico. For these mosques, indicated capacity is a sum of all the available prayer spaces. Mosques listed here are of any religious branch which regards themselves as Muslim.
- Daye, Ali (21 March 2018). "Grand Mosque Expansion Highlights Growth of Saudi Arabian Tourism Industry (6 mins)". Cornell Real Estate Review. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- . mwn.gov.sa. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- "Prophet's Mosque to accommodate two million worshippers after expansion". Arab News. 26 September 2012. Archived from the original on 7 March 2017. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Largest Mosques In The World". World Atlas. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "The Glory of the Islamic World". Imam Reza (A.S.) Network. Archived from the original on 12 June 2010. Retrieved 25 May 2009.
- 8 Stunning Grand Mosques around Indonesia That You Will Always Remember. Ministry of Tourism, Republic of Indonesia. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Iran's Mosques: The Most Beautiful in the World. Iran Review. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- McCrohan, Daniel (2010). "The search for the world's smallest mosque". Lonely Planet.
- Algeria constructs mosque with world’s tallest minaret. Construction Review Online. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Jackie Craven. "Sacred Buildings". About.com Home. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Badshahi Mosque with a capacity of 100'000 is Pakistan's second largest Mosque. Pakistan Tours Guide. Retrieved April 14, 2019.
- "Faisal Mosque". archnet.org. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- Faisal Mosque. Atlas Obscura. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Pakistan's third largest mosque,". timesofindia-economictimes. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Erdogan opens Turkey's largest mosque in Istanbul". Al Jazeera English. 4 May 2019. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Indah Gilang Pusparani (29 May 2017). "Top 7 Largest Mosques in Southeast Asia". Seasia. Cotabato City. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "Masjid Al-Akbar". Humas Jakarta Islamic Centre and 27th ISLAND (in Indonesian). DuniaMasjid.com. Archived from the original on 1 January 2013. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- TRIBUNWIKI: Profil Masjid Al Markaz Al Islami dan Masjid Raya, Arsitekturnya Bikin Takjub. Tribun News. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Baitul Mukarram National Mosque:". Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation, Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh. Archived from the original on 12 January 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi". www.szgmc.ae.
- "Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Mosque – Abu Dhabi". Archived from the original on 1 June 2009.
- "Jamia Masjid Srinagar". Gaffara Kashmir. Archived from the original on 25 April 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- Jahan, S. M. Mukarram (9 January 2019). "Plaque of Jamia Masjid". Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- (in French)La mosquée 1er-November-54, un monument religieux et architectural Archived 29 November 2014 at the Wayback Machine 30.08.2009, Retrieved 02.11.2011
- "State Mosque to be named after Imam Abdul Wahhab". Gulf-Times. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Official Sabancı Foundation website Archived 2008-11-18 at the Wayback Machine
- U.S. Ambassador to Yemen Matthew H. Tueller Delivers Ramadan Greetings at Al-Saleh Mosque. US Embassy in Yemen. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "JHELUM- THE CITY OF SOLDIERS". Delhi Tourism. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- "Charming Chadni Chowk" (PDF). Delhi Tourism. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- Angeles, Vivienne (2009). "Constructing Identity: Visual Expressions of Islam in the Predominantly Catholic Philippines". Identity in Crossroad Civilisations: Ethnicity, Nationalism and Globalism in Asia. Amsterdam University Press: 195–218.
- A look at some of Africa's largest Mosque. Pulse. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Masjid Berkubah Emas", Pikiran Rakyat, Retrieved November 2007
- Bayu Haryanto (11 July 2015). "Masjid Raya Sumatera Barat, Megah dan Tahan Gempa!" [Grand Mosque of West Sumatra, Majestic and Earthquake Resistant!]. Detik Travel (in Indonesian). Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- Peter Neville-Hadley. Frommer's China. Frommer's, 2003. ISBN 978-0-7645-6755-1. Page 302.
- Shah Jahan Mosque, Thatta. Visitpak.com. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "A photo journey of the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque". GulfNews. 25 April 2011. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque". Sultanate of Oman. Archived from the original on 9 March 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Mosques nationwide to be turned into community centres". The Star (Malaysia). 11 June 2010. Archived from the original on 30 July 2012.
- Masjid-e-Aqsa - Rabwah, Pakistan. Ahmadiyya Mosque. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- The calm inside Masjid Wilayah. New Straits Times'. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Makhachkala organizes charity iftars Archived 24 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine, islamdag.info, 23 August 2011, read 12 January 2014
- Islam in Indonesia: Hasyim Asy'Ari Grand Mosque Opened in Jakarta. Indonesia Investments. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Brochure by the Turkish Ministry of Religious Affairs" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 May 2008. Retrieved 7 November 2007.
- Gower, Simon Marcus (31 July 2009). "The marvels of a modern mosque". The Jakarta Post. Archived from the original on 12 February 2012. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- Zein, Abdul Baqir (1999). Masjid-masjid bersejarah di Indonesia [Historic mosques in Indonesia] (in Indonesian). Jakarta: Gema Insani. ISBN 9789795615675.
- MASJID SABILAL MUHTADIN. Kementerian Agama Republik Indonesia. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Masjid Negara. IslamGRID. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Putra Mosque". Tourism Malaysia. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- Grand Mosque. Booking.com. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Masjid Raya Bandung. Yahala. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- New Mosque Redraws Kampala's Skyline. UGPulse. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Masjid Bandaraya, Kota Kinabalu" [City Mosque, Kota Kinabalu] (PDF). Suara Masjid (in Malaysian). 7 (59): 7. October 2008. ISSN 1511-9149. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 March 2012.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Moschea di Roma. Pro Loco Roma Capitale. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Russia's Chechnya inaugurates vast new mosque Archived 17 November 2015 at the Wayback Machine, 17 October 2008, reuters.com, read 16 January 2015
- Masjid Agung Al Azhar. Kementerian Agama Republik Indonesia. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Masjid Al-Ittihad Jatibarang. PT Anugerah Kubah Indonesia. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- http://www.baitulfutuh.org/construction/. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved 16 September 2017. Missing or empty
- Grand Mosque Dargah Allahabad, Kandyaro, Sindh, Pakistan. Islah-ul Muslimeen. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Masjid Raya Makassar". Humas Jakarta Islamic Centre and 27th ISLAND (in Indonesian). DuniaMasjid.com. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- Travel to the 5 Largest Mosques in India. Tour My India. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Top 12 Popular Mosques of India. Tour My India. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Putin Opens New Mosque in Moscow Amid Lingering Intolerance. The New York Times. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Sultanahmet Camii. Orange Smile. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Corley, Felix (4 January 2005). "TURKMENISTAN: 2004, the year of demolished mosques". Forum 18 News Service. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Masjid Kampus UGM. Dunia Masjid. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Davidson, Linda Kay (2002). "Karbala (Iraq)". Pilgrimage: From the Ganges to Graceland. pp. 306–307.
The mosque was again rebuilt with an 83-by-109-meter courtyard.