Lin Chi-ling (林志玲) at the LG New Chocolate (BL40) phone launching event, 4 November 2009, Hong Kong
|Pinyin||Lín Zhìlíng (Mandarin)|
|Pe̍h-ōe-jī||Lím Jî-Léng (Hokkien)|
|Born||29 November 1974|
|Alma mater||Taipei Municipal Zhongzheng Junior High School |
Bishop Strachan School
University of Toronto
|Occupation||Actress, model, television host|
|Manager(s)||Catwalk Production House (2000-2012)|
ChilingLin Studio (2017-present)
Avex Management (Japan)
|Parents||Lin Fan-nan (father) |
Wu Tzu-mei (mother)
|Siblings||Lin Chi-hong (brother)|
|Website||Lin Chi-ling on Instagram|
Lin Chi-ling was born in 29 November 1974 in Taipei, Taiwan. Lin's father, Lin Fan-nan (Chinese: 林繁男), and her mother, Wu Tzu-mei (Chinese: 吳慈美), are both from Tainan in southern Taiwan. Following their marriage, they moved to Taipei where Lin and her elder brother Lin Chi-hong (Chinese: 林志鴻) were born. Lin attended Taipei Municipal Zhongzheng Junior High School and at the age of 15 was discovered by model talent scout Lin Chien-huan (Chinese: 林健寰). She later attended Bishop Strachan School in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, then attended the University of Toronto until 1997, when she completed her bachelor degree, double-majoring in Western art history and economics.
After graduating from university, Lin returned to Taiwan. She intended to pursue a career in fine art and sought a position at the Taipei Fine Arts Museum, but was turned away because she lacked a postgraduate degree in the field. Lin continued to model part-time before leaving the industry and working as an administrative assistant for the Fubon Cultural and Educational Foundation. In 2000, Lin left Fubon and spent three months studying in Japan, then returned to Taiwan and modeling, with Catwalk Production House.
In 2002, Lin was invited to model in a television advertisement in Hong Kong. The advertisement received attention and discussion on the internet, and interest in Lin began to grow. The following year, noted television producer Ge Hongfu offered Lin a position as hostess of a fashion program on Shanghai Oriental Television. In 2004, Lin starred in a broad series of advertisements in Taiwan that included big giant building-size posters, billboards, and television commercials. Almost overnight, Lin skyrocketed to national fame and became an instant celebrity model. Her rise to fame initiated a Taiwanese craze for supermodels, an effect commentators named "The Lin Chi-ling Phenomenon" (Chinese: 林志玲現象; pinyin: Lín Zhìlínɡ xiànxiànɡ).
Lin's popularity grew throughout the rest of 2004, as she began modeling in Hong Kong and Mainland Chinese advertisements, and continued when she began doing Japanese advertisements in 2005. From 2004 to 2006, Lin served as Taiwan's goodwill ambassador to the Japan Tourism Association. One of the unintended results of Lin Chi-ling phenomenon is that due to Lin's popularity among her Chinese fans, some Japanese pornographic actresses resembling Lin have become more famous and more popular among Chinese fans than their native homeland Japan, and received nicknames given by their China fans in association with Lin Chi-ling, such as in the case of Yui Hatano, who is frequently referred by Chinese fans as AV Lin Chi-ling, and Nozomi Aso (麻生希/あそう のぞみ), who is frequently referred by Chinese fans as AV little Lin Chin-ling. On 8 August 2005, Lin was in Dalian, China, shooting an advertisement for Procter & Gamble home products when she fell from the back of a horse she was riding and was inadvertently trampled. Workers rushed Lin to a nearby hospital where doctors discovered that she had suffered six broken ribs, a punctured left lung, and an accumulation of blood in the pleural cavity. Lin underwent four months of treatment and therapy, and announced in November 2005 that she had completely recovered.
Lin has had numerous roles in television over her time as a model, being the host of TVBS-G LA Mode News, TVBS-G Fashion Track, the Golden Melody Awards and the Top Chinese Music Chart Awards in 2005.
Lin has made her film début role in a historical epic directed by John Woo entitled Red Cliff. Playing the role of Xiaoqiao, it was her first time acting. In 2009, she starred together with Jay Chou in the action-adventure film The Treasure Hunter.
Taiwanese media reported Lin as #1 model in the "Richest Celebrities [in Taiwan]" list in 2007, with estimated earnings of NT$60,000,000 (≈ AU$2,100,000 ≈ CA$1,900,000 ≈ UK£906,000 ≈ US$1,900,000), in which Jay Chou appeared as #1 male singer (with over NT$100,000,000) and Jolin Tsai appeared as #1 female singer (with nearly NT$100,000,000).
Hong Kong press reported she was 2009's #1 highest-paid model in the Greater China region, followed by Chinese Jennifer Du (#2), Hong Kong's Gaile Lai (#3) and Lynn Hung (#4). She has continuously ranked #1 on Taiwan's "Highest-earning models" list since 2004. Her earnings was estimated to be NT$160,000,000 (≈ AU$5,400,000 ≈ CA$5,400,000 ≈ UK£3,370,000 ≈ US$5,320,000) in 2010, which consisted of those from advertisements (NT$120,000,000) and various such as TV-series appearance in Japan (NT$40,000,000), and NT$200,000,000 (≈ AU$6,600,000 ≈ CA$6,800,000 ≈ UK£4,240,000 ≈ US$6,600,000) in 2011.
|Year||English title||Original title||Role||Notes|
|2008||Red Cliff: Part 1||赤壁||Xiao Qiao|
|2009||Red Cliff: Part 2||赤壁||Xiao Qiao||Both parts also released as a single 2½ hour trimmed-down version in 2009|
|The Magic Aster||馬蘭花||Da Lan||Voice acting|
|The Treasure Hunter||刺陵||Lan Ting|
|2010||Moon Lovers||月の恋人||Liu Xiu Mei||Japan TV Series|
|Welcome to Shama Town||決戰刹馬鎮||Chun Niang|
|2011||Love on Credit||幸福額度||Xiao Hong and Xiao Qing|
|2013||Say Yes!||101次求婚||Ye Xun|
|2014||Who is Undercover||王牌|
|2015||Beijing, New York||北京，紐約||Jasmine|
|Monk Comes Down the Mountain||道士下山||Yu Zhen|
|2017||This Is Not What I Expected||喜歡·你||Private chef|
|Didi's Dream||吃吃的愛||Shangguan Lingling|
|2018||The Monkey King 3||西遊記·女兒國||River God|
|The Faces of My Gene||祖宗十九代||Leia|
- "International Artist Credibility Award", 2nd International Television Commercial Arts Festival in 2006
- "Hong Kong Style Icons", Hong Kong Trade Development Council in 2006
- "Top Ten China Beauty", 5th International Beauty Week in 2006
- "Best Fashion Icon at the 2nd Entertainment Award at Beijing in 2007
- "Most popular New Actress", Baidu Award in 2008
- "Best New Actress", Sina Award in 2008
- "Best Asia Star Award", Asia Model Festival awards at Korea in 2009
- "Most Influential Charity Icon", Charity Star Award in 2009
- "2017 University College Alumni of Influence Award", University of Toronto at Canada in 2017
- Zhan Weixiong 詹伟雄, (2008). Meixue de Jingji – Taiwan Shehui Bianqian de 60 ge Weixing Guancha 美學的經濟—臺灣社會變遷的60個微型觀察, literally: "The Economy of Aesthetics – 60 Microscopic Observations of Taiwan's Societal Changes". Taipei: Feng Ge Zhe. ISBN 957-29895-2-9.
- "Lin Chi-ling hopes to establish charity for needy children". Taipei Times. 8 Feb 2011. p. 2.
- 林健寰慧眼識英雄 發掘張鳳書、林志玲等女星 | 娛樂新聞 | NOWnews 今日新聞網. Nownews.com (26 March 2006).
- "積極、樂觀，林志玲", literally: "Active and Optimistic Lin Chi-Ling", in Vogues Taiwan, 1998, issue 24, 180.
- 林志玲鳳凰變身五重奏 光速走紅娛樂圈大揭秘-海峽兩岸-人民網. Tw.people.com.cn.
- 林志玲价码三级跳 千万续约费让唐安麒傻眼, Ent.163.com, 10 September 2004,
- www.libertytimes.com/2006/new/jun/27/today-show4.htm .
- "Lin Chi-Ling look alike Yui Hatano". Archived from the original on 9 January 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "Lin Chi-Ling look alike Nozomi Aso". Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- 中國評論新聞：林志玲傷得不輕 真的6根肋骨骨折. China Review News.
- "Longines – Ambassadors of Elegances Personalities Page" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 August 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- "ジェイ・チョウ「台湾歌手長者番付」でダントツ１位", 10 December 2007, Searchina (in Japanese)
- "【華流】香港メディアが調査、モデル出演料Ｎｏ．１はチーリン", 8 April 2009, Searchina (in Japanese)
- "【華流】台湾モデル年収ランキング、７年連続でチーリンがトップ", 10 December 2010, Searchina (in Japanese)
- "リン・チーリン、年収が５億円超え！ トップの座をキープ", 17 December 2011, Searchina (in Japanese)
- "リン・チーリンがチャリティー基金会を設立、カレンダー発売で貢献―台湾", 12 November 2011, Record China (in Japanese)
- "【華流】リン・チーリン、子どもたちのためにチャリティー基金設立", 13 November 2011, Searchina (in Japanese)
- "言承旭承認了！談復合志玲「真誠的互相關心」". Apple Daily (Taiwan). November 12, 2017.
- "言承旭 林志玲 真的在一起". China Press. November 12, 2017.
- "Jerry Yan thanks mystery girlfriend at Japan fanmeet". Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "I'm not Jerry Yan's current girlfriend: Lin Chi-ling". Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- Chi-ling Lin Jay Chou Fly with Me official music video
- Chi-ling Lin The power of beauty official music video
- Chi-ling Lin Me And The Moon music video
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lin Chi-ling.|
- Lin Chi-ling on IMDb
- Lin Chi-ling on Facebook (in Chinese)
- Lin Chi-ling on Instagram
- Lin Chi-ling at the Hong Kong Movie DataBase
- Lin Chi-ling at Chinesemov.com
- Lin Chi-ling at Catwalk Production House Official Website
- Lin Chi-ling Official Website in Japan avex.jp
- Chiling Charity Foundation (in Chinese)