The Monkey King 3
The Monkey King 3 is a 2018 Chinese fantasy film based on the classic novel Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en. The film is the third installment of the Monkey King franchise, after The Monkey King (2014) and The Monkey King 2 (2016). Directed by Cheang Pou-soi, it stars Aaron Kwok, Feng Shaofeng, Zhao Liying, Xiaoshenyang and Him Law. The film was released on February 16, 2018, the first day of the Chinese New Year holiday period.
|The Monkey King 3|
|Mandarin||Xī yóu jì nǚ'ér guó|
|Literally||Journey to the West: Daughter of the Country|
|Directed by||Cheang Pou-soi|
|Written by||Wen Ning|
|Based on||Journey to the West |
by Wu Cheng'en
|Music by||Yu Kobayashi|
|Distributed by||International - Well Go USA Entertainment , Aeon pix studios ( India , Europe & other )|
|Countries||Hong Kong |
|Budget||RMB 550 (US$87 million) |
|Box office||US$114.2 million|
Buddhist monk Tang Sanzang (William Feng Shaofeng) and his disciples – Wukong the Monkey King (Aaron Kwok Fu-shing), pig demon Bajie (Xiao Shenyang) and the blue-skinned sand demon Wujing (Him Lo Chung-him) – inadvertently enter the Womanland of Western Liang, a nation populated by women raised to believe that men are fatally deceptive in matters of the heart.
Love nevertheless blossoms between Tang Sanzang and the Womanland's young queen (Zhao Liying), even though her royal preceptor (Gigi Leung Wing-kei) is hell-bent on sentencing the men to death. As Wukong and Co. search for a way out of this nation surrounded by a vast magical net, it soon transpires, conveniently, that romantic love is the only key to opening the gate. Will Tang Sanzang give up on his sacred mission and stay with the queen?
- Aaron Kwok as Sun Wukong, the Monkey King
- Feng Shaofeng as Tang Sanzang, the Buddhist monk
- Zhao Liying as the Ruler of Women's Country
- Xiaoshenyang as Zhu Bajie, the pig demon
- Him Law as Sha Wujing, the water-buffalo
- Lin Chi-ling as Hebo
- Gigi Leung as Advisor
- Liu Tao as Guanyin
- Kingdom Yuen as Priest
- Cecilia So as young advisor
- Sire Ma
On 4 December 2016, it was announced that Zhao Liying would play the role of the Ruler of Women's Country. The original cast members of The Monkey King 2: Aaron Kwok, Feng Shaofeng, Xiaoshenyang and Him Law would be reprising their roles as Sun Wukong, Tang Sanzang, Zhu Bajie and Sha Wujing respectively in the film. On 1 March 2017, Liu Tao, Lin Chi-ling, and Gigi Leung were reported to have joined the cast.
Hollywood talent Shaun Smith (300, I am Legend, The Monkey King 2) returns as the special makeup effects supervisor/designer for the Monkey King 3.
The third sequel was released in China on February 16, 2018. During the event it was announced that the film will be released on 16 February 2018, the first day of the Chinese New Year holiday period, which is also the first day of the Year of the Dog.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 33% based on 6 reviews, and an average rating of 4/10. On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating, the film has a weighted average score of 51 out of 100 based on 4 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". On Tianjin Maoyan Culture Media's ticketing website the film has received a 7.8/10 from the audience based on over 240,000 reviews.
Elizabeth Kerr from The Hollywood Reporter believes that the film is "bonker(s), but in a charming, delirious sort of way" with "enough eye-catching set pieces." But the movie may not necessary to be 3D. As for actors, Aaron Kwok delivers a "strong performance...that's far more nuanced than it needs to be," while "Feng and Zhao are a less than riveting couple, making their dilemmas leaden soap opera instead of compelling crises of conscience or identity." She also points out that even the Queen's still "begging for the men's help" and notes that The Monkey King 3 is missing its opportunity to make the female characters "active-not-reactive".
China's noted film critic Raymond Zhou regards The Monkey King 3 as inferior to its predecessor, "The Monkey King 2. He criticizes on his personal Weibo that the CGI effect is more credible than the story is and that both of two romantic leads have no chemistry. Feng Shaofeng's performance is reliable among leads.
Senior film critic Derek Elley, however, credits The Monkey King 3 as "the most engaging of the three films on a character level, with a relaxed tone and often silly humour that also help to bolster its "human" face." Xuanzang's role is "always a difficult one to bring off amid such colourful company (Aaron Kwok, Xiaoshenyang, and Luo Zhongqian)", but Feng Shaofeng "manages to make Xuanzang sympathetic"; Zhao fails to "dominate the film as her character should"; Gigi Leung "grabs the spotlight" while her character is not "fully-drawn"; Lin Zhiling "has a couple of memorable moments in the CGI-heavy finale."
- "西游记·女儿国 (2018)". movie.douban.com.
- Zhang Rui (16 February 2018). "movie guide for Spring Festival 2018". China.org.cn. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Xi You Ji Nu Er Guo (2018)". The Numbers. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Big bucks behind new Monkey King film". China Daily. 18 April 2017.
- "赵丽颖出演《西游记·女儿国》国王 2018年上映". ent.ifeng. 3 December 2016.
- "郭富城回归《西游记：女儿国》还演孙悟空". news.ifeng. 22 November 2016.
- "《西游记：女儿国》聚女神 林志玲梁咏琪刘涛入国". Sina. 1 March 2017.
- "西游记·女儿国 (2018)". movie.douban.com (in Chinese). douban.com. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "The Monkey King 3 (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 16 September 2020.
- "The Monkey King 3 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "西游记女儿国 - 猫眼电影 - 一网打尽好电影". maoyan.com. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- "'The Monkey King 3': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- Zhou, Reymond (22 February 2018). "《女儿国》不如《三打白骨精》，它跟过年两年的奇幻大片是同一个问题：把创作的重心放到视觉奇观上，而忽视了故事的重要性。也许主创们觉得这故事耳熟能详，讲得好不好不重要。反正我留下印象的全是画面，对那两组毫不来电的恋爱故事直接无视。但跟《三生三世》等相比，这部似乎要胜一筹。演员中冯绍峰是可信的". Sino Weibo. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- "Review: The Monkey King 3 (2018) | Sino-Cinema 《神州电影》". sino-cinema.com. Retrieved 22 August 2018.