|County||Västra Götaland County|
|• Total||682.43 km2 (263.49 sq mi)|
|• Land||362.59 km2 (140.00 sq mi)|
|• Water||319.84 km2 (123.49 sq mi)|
|Area as of 1 January 2014.|
(31 December 2019)
|• Density||68/km2 (180/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
The present municipality was formed in 1971 through the amalgamation of the City of Kungälv, the City of Marstrand and territories belonging to four rural municipalities. In 1974 a minor part (situated on the island of Hisingen) was transferred to Gothenburg Municipality.
Geographically it borders to Gothenburg Municipality (south), Ale Municipality (east), Lilla Edet Municipality (north-east) and Stenungsund Municipality (north). To the east flows the river Göta älv and to the south, marking the border to Gothenburg, flows the river Nordre älv. On an island in the river, the medieval Bohus Fortress faces the city of Kungälv.
- Marstrand, which was historically a largely autonomous island territory as the Marstrand Free Port. It's the location of the stone fortress Carlsten.
- Solberga, where the oldest parts of the church dates back to the 12th century
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 2014-01-01. Archived from the original (Microsoft Excel) on 2016-09-27. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2019" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 20, 2020. Retrieved February 20, 2020.
- Picture before the 2016 final Archived 2016-03-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Picture from the prize ceremony of the 2016 final Archived 2016-03-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Official website (in Swedish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kungälv Municipality.|