Kenan Kodro (Bosnian pronunciation: [kěnan kôːdro]; born 19 August 1993) is a professional footballer who plays as a forward for Spanish club Athletic Bilbao and the Bosnia and Herzegovina national team.
|Full name||Kenan Kodro|
|Date of birth||19 August 1993|
|Place of birth||San Sebastián, Spain|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|2011–2014||Real Sociedad B||76||(16)|
|2012||→ Lagun Onak (loan)||9||(2)|
|2018||→ Grasshopper (loan)||14||(7)|
|2017–||Bosnia and Herzegovina||9||(2)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 1 July 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 18 November 2018
Kodro started his professional career at Real Sociedad's B-team. In 2012 he had a loan spell with Lagun Onak. Two years later he joined Osasuna. In 2017 he moved to Mainz 05, who loaned him to Grasshopper in 2018. Later that year he was transferred to Copenhagen. The following year he moved to Athletic Bilbao.
Kodro made his senior international debut for Bosnia and Herzegovina in 2017.
Born in San Sebastián, Gipuzkoa, Kodro graduated with Real Sociedad's youth setup, and made his senior debut with the reserves, spending several seasons in Segunda División B. In 2012, he had a six-month loan stint at Lagun Onak.
In July 2014, Kodro signed for CA Osasuna, being initially assigned to the B-side in Tercera División. He debuted on 23 August, coming on as a late substitute in a 2–0 home win against Barcelona B in the Segunda División. On 18 October, he scored his first goal for the team, netting a last-minute winner in a 3–2 home win over Tenerife.
On 28 January 2015, Kodro renewed his contract, signing until 2018 and being given the number 9 jersey. He was an instrumental part in the Rojillos promotion to La Liga through the play-offs, after scoring three goals in four matches, two of them in the finals against Girona.
Kodro made his top tier debut on 19 August 2016, starting in a 1–1 draw at Málaga. He scored his first goal in La Liga on 22 January 2017, in a 3–4 home loss against Sevilla. On 5 March, he netted his first brace in a 2–5 loss at Las Palmas.
On 26 June 2017, Kodro signed a four-year deal with German club 1. FSV Mainz 05. Kodro played his first game for the club in a 3–1 DFB-Pokal win over Lüneburger Hansa. A week later, he made his Bundesliga debut in a 0–1 loss against Hannover 96.
Due to lack of playing time, In February 2018 Kodro joined Grasshopper Club Zürich on loan until the end of the season. While playing for Grasshopper, Kodro scored his first career hat-trick on 21 April. Even though he joined the club mid-season, Kodro finished the campaign as Grasshoppers' top goalscorer with seven goals.
In July 2018, Kodro joined F.C. Copenhagen and signed a four-year contract. He debuted in UEFA Europa League qualifier against KuPS on 12 July. Four days later, he made his first league appearance for the club, in a home loss to Horsens. Kodro scored his first goal for Copenhagen on 26 July, in an away victory over Stjarnan. A week later, in the return leg, he scored his first hat-trick for the club. On 7 October Kodro scored his first league goal, in a convincing triumph over Randers.
On 31 January 2019, Kodro returned to Spain after agreeing a three-and-a-half-year contract with Athletic Bilbao for an undisclosed transfer fee. He made his debut for the club on 10 February, being introduced as a late substitute in a goalless draw at home to FC Barcelona, one of the clubs his father played for.
On 16 March 2017, Kodro received first senior call-up for Bosnia and Herzegovina by manager Mehmed Baždarević. He debuted twelve days later, starting and providing an assist for Senad Lulić's goal in a 2–1 friendly away win at Albania. He scored his first international goal in a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Gibraltar on 3 September 2017.
Kenan's father, Meho, was also a footballer and a forward. Both spent time together at Real Sociedad B, the latter as a manager. They became first son and father to represent Bosnia and Herzegovina internationally.
- As of match played 1 July 2019.
|Real Sociedad B||2011–12||Segunda División B||14||2||–||–||–||14||2|
|2012–13||Segunda División B||35||6||–||–||–||35||6|
|2013–14||Segunda División B||27||8||–||–||–||27||8|
|Lagun Onak||2011–12||Tercera División||9||2||–||–||–||9||2|
|Grasshopper (loan)||2017–18||Swiss Super League||14||7||1||0||–||–||15||7|
|Athletic Bilbao||2018–19||La Liga||11||1||–||–||–||11||1|
- As of match played 18 November 2018.
|Bosnia and Herzegovina|
- Scores and results list Bosnia and Herzegovina's goal tally first.
|1.||3 September 2017||Estádio Algarve, Faro/Loulé, Portugal||Gibraltar||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|2.||23 March 2018||Ludogorets Arena, Razgrad, Bulgaria||Bulgaria||Friendly|
- "Kenan Kodro". Athletic Bilbao. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Kenan Kodro: El apellido Kodro pesa, hasta que no me acerque a mi padre prefiero ser Kenan" [Kenan Kodro: The last name Kodro weighs heavily, until I get closer to my father I prefer to be Kenan]. diariovasco.com (in Spanish). 2 February 2017. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "Isaac Aketxe, cedido al Sanse; Kenan Kodro, cedido al Lagun Onak" [Isaac Aketxe, loaned to Sanse; Kenan Kodro, loaned to Lagun Onak]. realsociedad.com (in Spanish). 1 February 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "Kenan Kodro, de la Real Sociedad B, hará la pretemporada con Osasuna" [Kenan Kodro, of Real Sociedad B, will do the preseason with Osasuna]. navarradeportiva.com (in Spanish). 12 July 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "El equipo también responde" [The team also responds]. osasuna.es (in Spanish). 23 August 2014. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Kenan Kodro salva a Osasuna en el 93'" [Kenan Kodro saves Osasuna in the 93rd minute]. marca.com (in Spanish). 18 October 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Kenan Kodro amplía su contrato con el CA Osasuna" [Kenan Kodro extends his contract with CA Osasuna]. osasuna.es (in Spanish). 28 January 2015. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- "Mikel Merino llevará el dorsal 8 y Kenan Kodro, el 9" [Mikel Merino will wear number 8 and Kenan Kodro, number 9]. diariodenavarra.es (in Spanish). 31 January 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "La fe rojilla mueve montañas" [The rojilla faith moves mountains]. marca.com (in Spanish). 15 June 2016. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- "¡¡¡Osasuna regresa a Primera!!!" [Osasuna returns to the Primera !!!]. marca.com (in Spanish). 18 June 2016. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- "Osasuna empata 'in extremis' en La Rosaleda" [Osasuna draw 'in extremis' at La Rosaleda]. marca.com (in Spanish). 19 August 2016. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "El Osasuna pierde contra el Sevilla" [Osasuna loses against Sevilla]. mundodeportivo.com (in Spanish). 22 January 2017. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "La UD Las Palmas dio la vuelta al partido y acabó goleando al colista Osasuna" [UD Las Palmas went around the match and ended up beating the bottom side Osasuna]. sport.es (in Spanish). 5 March 2017. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Bis 2021: Mainz angelt sich Kodro von Osasuna" [Until 2021: Mainz fishes Kodro of Osasuna]. kicker.de (in German). 26 June 2017. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "Zvanično: Kenan Kodro potpisao za Mainz!" [Official: Kenan Kodro signed for Mainz!]. sportsport.ba (in Bosnian). 26 June 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Mutos Doppelpack schickt Mainz in Runde zwei" [Muto's double sends Mainz in round two]. kicker.de (in German). 12 August 2017. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "Kodro debitovao za Mainz u zvaničnoj utakmici, Bayern i Borussija bez problema" [Kodro debuted for Mainz in an official game, Bayern and Borussia without a problem]. scsport.ba (in Bosnian). 12 August 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Hannover überrascht Mainz mit einem Auswärtscoup und vermiest FSV Coach Sandro Schwarz das Debüt" [Hannover surprises Mainz with an away coup and spoils FSV coach Sandro Schwarz's debut]. kicker.de (in German). 19 August 2017. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Kenan Kodro debitovao u Bundesligi, Vedad Ibišević igrao u trijumfu Herthe" [Kenan Kodro debuted in the Bundesliga, Vedad Ibisevic played in the triumph of Hertha]. scsport.ba (in Bosnian). 19 August 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Kenan Kodro stigao na posudbu u Grasshoppers do kraja sezone" [Kenan Kodro arrives on loan to Grasshoppers til the end of the season]. klix.ba (in Bosnian). 14 February 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Hat-trick Kodre, Grasshoppers konačno slavio" [Hat-trick Kodro, Grasshoppers finally celebrated]. sportsport.ba (in Bosnian). 21 April 2018. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Kenan Kodro strijelac za Grasshopper protiv aktuelnog prvaka" [Kenan Kodro shooter for Grasshopper against current champion]. bih.ba (in Bosnian). 19 May 2018. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- "Mainz objavio: Neočekivan transfer Kenana Kodre!" [Mainz announced: Kenan Kodre's unexpected transfer!]. sportsport.ba (in Bosnian). 3 July 2018. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- "Kodro debitovao pobjedom, Mešanović bez minutaže" [Kodro debuted with victory, Mesanovic without a minute]. faktor.ba (in Bosnian). 12 July 2018. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- "Kodri puna minutaža u neočekivanom porazu Kopenhagena" [Kodro is full of minutes in the unexpected defeat of Copenhagen]. bih.ba (in Bosnian). 16 July 2018. Retrieved 16 July 2018.
- "Prvijenac Kenana Kodre u dresu Kopenhagena" [The First Known Kenan Kodro in the Copenhagen Clothes]. bih.ba (in Bosnian). 26 July 2018. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Kenan Kodro postigao hat-trick u ubjedljivoj pobjedi Kopenhagena" [Kenan Kodro scored a hat-trick in the convincing victory of Copenhagen]. klix.ba (in Bosnian). 2 August 2018. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- "Kodro dobio priliku za igru i odmah zabio" [Kodro got a chance to play and scored fast]. bih.ba (in Bosnian). 7 October 2018. Retrieved 7 October 2018.
- "Oficial: el Athletic ficha a Kenan Kodro hasta 2022" [Official: Athletic sign Kenan Kodro until 2022] (in Spanish). Diario AS. 31 January 2019. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Kenan Kodro potpisao za Athletic Bilbao" [Kenan Kodro signed for Athletic Bilbao]. bih.ba (in Bosnian). 31 January 2019. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Kenan Kodro se estrenó como 'león' en el Athletic-Barça" [Kenan Kodro debuted as a 'lion' at Athletic-Barça] (in Spanish). Sport. 11 February 2019. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "Baždarevićev spisak zmajeva: Pozvani Kodro, Đumić i Pavlović, povratak Vršajevića, nema Spahića" [Baždarević list of dragons: Called Kodro, Đumić and Pavlović, Vršajevic's return, no Spahić]. klix.ba (in Bosnian). 16 March 2017. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- "Džeko i Lulić presudili Albaniji u Elbasanu" [Džeko i Lulić ruled Albania in Elbasan]. sportsport.ba (in Bosnian). 28 March 2017. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- "Gibraltar je preslab za nešto više osim poraza protiv BiH" [Gibraltar is overwhelmed by something more than the defeat against BiH]. sportsport.ba (in Bosnian). 3 September 2017. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- "Kenan Kodro: Espero poder aportar lo que aportó mi padre" [Kenan Kodro: I hope I can contribute what my father contributed]. as.com (in Spanish). 13 August 2014. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- "Kenan Kodro, sin bh legende i napadač Osasune: Od Džeke mogu naučiti mnogo" [Kenan Kodro, the son of a BH legend and Osasuna forward: I can learn a lot from Džeko]. klix.ba (in Bosnian). 23 October 2014. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "Kodre za historiju bh fudbala" [Kodros make BH football history]. bhfudbal.ba (in Bosnian). 28 March 2017. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "K. Kodro". soccerway.com. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "Kenan Kodro". eu-football.info. Retrieved 19 November 2018.