This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kamaluddin Mohammed Majeed, mononymously known as Kamal, is an Indian film director, screenwriter, and producer. He works in Malayalam cinema. He is the current Chairman of the Kerala State Chalachitra Academy.
November 28, 1957
|Years active||1981 – present|
|Parent(s)||K. M. Abdul Majeed|
Kamal made his directorial debut with the 1986 film Mizhineerppoovukal. In a career spanning over three decades, Kamal has directed over forty films. His films have won various National Film Awards and Kerala State Film Awards, including films such as Ulladakkam (1991), Mazhayethum Munpe (1995), Madhuranombarakkattu (2000), Meghamalhar (2001), Nammal (2002), Perumazhakkalam (2004), Karutha Pakshikal (2006), and Celluloid (2013).
Kamal was born on 28 November 1957 in Kodungallur, as the eldest son of late K.M. Abdul Majeed and late Suleikhabi. He has two younger brothers. He is married to his first cousin Saburabi. They have two children, Jenuse Mohamed and Hanna Shanu. Jenuse made his debut as film director in 2015 with the Malayalam film 100 Days of Love.
In April 2020, reports surfaced that an aspiring Mollywood actress had sent the director a legal notice on April 26, 2019 accusing him of sexually assaulting her after promising a role in his film. Kamal said he suspected a former Chalachitra Academy employee to be behind the recent expose and termed the allegations baseless and intended to defame him.
He started his career by writing the film Thrasam, directed by Padiyan in 1981. He also worked as an associate director in the film.
His first film was Mizhineer Pookkal in 1986 and to date, he has directed more than 43 movies, among which are two non-Malayalam movies, one each in Tamil and Hindi. Apart from his role as a director, Kamal has held several administrative posts within the Malayalm film industry. He had previously acted as the general secretary of Malayalam Cine Technicians Association (MACTA) and has been an executive member of the Kerala Chalachitra Academy. He is currently the President of the Kerala Director's Union (FEFKA).
His works include Unnikale Oru Katha Parayam, Kakkothikavile Appooppan Thadikal, Thoovalsparsham, Ghazal, Ulladakam, Ee Puzhayam Kadannu, Azhagiya Ravanan, Mazhayethum Munpe, Meghamalhar, Madhuranombarakaattu, Perumazhakkalam, Karutha Pakshikal, Khaddama and Celluloid. His interest in film-making led him to enroll at the Kalabharathi Film Institute in Thrissur.
Celluloid (2013) is the biopic of J.C Daniel, the father of Malayalam cinema. Smitha at the entertainment site oneindia.com stated that the film is one of the best films made in recent times from Indian cinema.
As Associate DirectorEdit
|Oru Kochu Swapnam||Vipin Das||1984|
|Aa Neram Alpadooram||Thampi Kannanthanam||1985|
|Avidathepole Ivideyum||K. S. Sethumadhavan||1985|
|Aa Neram Alpadooram||Thampi Kannanthanam||1985|
|Sunil Vayassu 20||K. S. Sethumadhavan||1986|
|Krishnagudiyil Oru Pranayakalathu||Himself||1997|
|Kadamba||P. N. Menon||1983|
|Aarorumariyathe||K. S. Sethumadhavan||1984|
|Unnikale Oru Kadha Parayam||Himself||1987|
|Ee Puzhayum Kadannu||Himself||1996|
Awards and nominationsEdit
- 2013– Best Feature Film in Malayalam for Celluloid
- 2008– Best Film on Family Welfare for Karutha Pakshikal
- 2005– Best Film on Other Social Issues for Perumazhakkalam
- 2013 Best Film for Celluloid
- 2002 Best Popular Film for Nammal
- 2001 Second Best Feature Film for Meghamalhar
- 2001 Best Screen Play for Meghamalhar
- 2000 Second Best Feature Film for Madhuranombarakkattu
- 1995 Best Popular Film for Mazhayethum Munpe
- 1991 Best Director for Ulladakkam
- Kamaluddin Mohammed Majeed Biography & Movie List – BookMyShow. In.bookmyshow.com. Retrieved on 19 December 2016.
- Kamala Surayya’s ‘Aami’ Starring Vidya Balan To Hit Floors On September 25. Desimartini.com (3 August 2016). Retrieved on 19 December 2016.
- 19 March 2015. "Love in Bengaluru". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- "This is a baseless allegation to spoil my name: Kamal - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 6 July 2020.
- "Director Kamal dismisses sexual harassment allegations against him, calls it baseless". Mathrubhumi. Retrieved 6 July 2020.
- "Kamal elected FEFKA president". newindianexpress.com. 14 November 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Celluloid Movie Review – Don't miss this one". entertainment.oneindia.in. 17 February 2013. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "When Vidya Balan totally transformed herself into Madhavikutty". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Kerala State Film Awards 2013 Announced: Best Actor :Prithviraj, Best Film: Celluloid – FWD Life | The Premium Lifestyle Magazine |. Fwdlife.in (14 December 2015). Retrieved on 19 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kamal.|