Meghamalhar is a 2001 Indian Malayalam-language romance film written and directed by Kamal from a story by Iqbal Kuttippuram. It stars Biju Menon and Samyuktha Varma in the lead roles, while Poornima Mohan, Ranjini, Sreenath, Shivaji, Siddique and Raghavan plays supporting roles. The film was jointly produced by M. V. Shreyams Kumar for Mathrubhumi and Asianet. The film won two Kerala State Film Awards and a Filmfare Awards South.
|Story by||Iqbal Kuttippuram|
|Produced by||M. V. Shreyams Kumar|
|Edited by||Beena Paul|
|Music by||Ramesh Narayan|
|Distributed by||Sargam Speed Release|
The film is the story of Rajeevan, an advocate and Nandita Menon, a writer. Rajeevan is married to Rekha, a bank employee, and has two kids. Nandita is married to Mukundan (Siddique), a businessman in the Gulf, and has a daughter. Both meet each other accidentally and in due course their relationship becomes intimate. Their tastes and thinking are almost alike. Megha Malhar movie tells Nandita (Samyuktha Varma) who is a budding writer who works with a leading newspaper and Rajeev (Biju Menon) an attorney. They lead their normal family life happily. A mix-up in the cakes they ordered for their respective kids introduce the protagonists and their background.
Then they meet again, and again. When Rajeev narrates an incident in his childhood bearing uncanny resemblance to Nandita’s short story, she realizes he is her childhood friend on whose shoulders she leaned on in times of distress.
A chemistry develops between them and Rajeev mistakes this to be love and expresses his feelings to her. She responds predictably and tries to alienate him, ignoring him. But later she gifts her book "Megha Malhar" to him, revealing that she is his childhood friend.
Rajeev agrees never to meet her afterwards and meet her for the last time. They travel together to Kanyakumari where they had spent their childhood together and they decide to part their ways and live as strangers.
- Biju Menon as Rajeevan
- Samyuktha Varma as Nandita (voice dubbed by Bhagyalekshmi)
- Poornima Mohan as Rekha
- Ranjini as Seemanthini Krishnan, Nandita's friend
- Sreenath as Advocate Bhoominathan, Rajeevan's friend
- Shivaji as Rajeevan’s elder brother
- Siddique as Mukundan
- Ambika Mohan as Rajeevan's sister in law(Debut Film)
- Sanusha as Malavika (Malu), Nandita’s daughter.
- Jijoy Rajagopal as Prasad, the press photographer
- Bindhu Krishna
- Kerala Film Critics' Awards
- Best Film - Meghamalhar
- Best Screenplay - Kamal
- Best Film - Meghamalhar
- Best Director - Kamal
- Best Actress - Samyuktha Varma
- Best Star Pair - Biju Menon and Samyuktha Varma
- Best Cinematographer - Venugopal
- Best Editing - Beena Paul
- Ramu Kariyat Award for Best Director - Kamal
- Unni R. Nair (11 January 2002). "Meghamalhar: Unforgettable experience". Screen India. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- "Kerala State Film Awards - 2001" Archived 13 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "Filca awards presented"
- "Director - Kamal" (PDF). Khaddama.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2011.