This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lenin Rajendran (Malayalam: ലെനിൻ രാജേന്ദ്രൻ) was an Indian film director and screenwriter who worked in Malayalam cinema. He served as the Chairman of Kerala State Film Development Corporation from 2016 to January 2019.
|Died|| (aged 67)|
|Years active||1981 – 2019|
Beginning his film-making career as an assistant to director P. A. Backer, Rajendran made his directorial debut with Venal (1982). From his first film to his latest one, Edavappathy (2016), Rajendran has been consistent with the quality of his films, not surrendering to market forces even while using the form and stars of popular cinema.
An active member of the Communist party, Rajendran at times integrated his political orientation into his screen work: his 1985 film Meenamasithile Sooryan was about the anti-feudal upheaval of the 1940s in Kerala from a Communist viewpoint.
Swathi Thirunal (1987), a period film was a biographical work of a 19th-century king of Travancore, better known as a musical composer. While Daivathinte Vikrithikal (1992) was the cinematic adaptation of M. Mukundan's novel of the same name, Kulam (1997) was a loose adaptation of C. V. Raman Pillai's historical novel Marthandavarma, Mazha (2001) was adapted from Madhavikutty's Nashtapetta Neelambhari. One of his other films, Anyar (2003) deals with the hot topic of communal polarisation in Kerala.
Lenin Rajendran died on 14 January 2019 in Apollo Hospital Chennai after a liver transplant, at the age of 67.
- 1987 - Kerala State Film Award (Special Jury Award): Swathi Thirunal
- 1992 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Film: Daivathinte Vikrithikal
- 1996 - Best Film with Popular Appeal and Aesthetic Value : Kulam
- 2006 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Director : Rathri Mazha
- 2010 - Kerala State Film Award for Second Best Film:Makaramanju
- 2010 - FIPRESCI Prize for Best Malayalam Film - Makaramanju
Kerala State Television Awards
- 1999 - Second Best Teleserial: Balyakalasmaranakal
- 2011 - Best Documentary (Biography): Kaviyoor Revamma
- 2003 - Special Jury Award : Anyar
- 2006 - Second Best Film : Rathrimazha
- 2010 - Second Best Film : Makaramanju
- 2015 - Best Screenplay : Edavapathy
- Vineeth as Hari
|1982||Chillu||Venu Nagavalli, Shanthi Krishna|
|1983||Prem Nazirine Kanmanilla||Prem Nazir|
|1985||Meenamasathile Sooryan||Bharath Gopi, Venu Nagavalli, Vijay Menon, Murali, Ravi, Shobana|
|1987||Swathi Thirunal||Anant Nag, Ranjini|
|1989||Vachanam||Suresh Gopi, Jayaram, Sithara, Sreevidya, Thilakan, Mamukkoya|
|1992||Daivathinte Vikrithikal||Raghuvaran, Srividya, Thilakan, Vineeth, Sudheesh, Siddique|
|1997||Kulam||Suresh Gopi, Bhanupriya, Vijayaraghavan|
|2000||Mazha||Biju Menon, Lal, Samyuktha Varma, Jagathy Sreekumar, Thilakan, Urmila Unni|
|2003||Anyar||Jyothirmayi, Biju Menon, Lal, Siddique|
|2007||Rathri Mazha||Vineeth, Meera Jasmine, Manoj K. Jayan, Biju Menon, Lalu Alex, Cochin Haneefa|
|2010||Makaramanju||Santosh Sivan, Karthika Nair, Nithya Menon, Lakshmi Sarma|
|2016||Edavappathy||Utthara Unni, Manisha Koirala, Siddhartha|
|2017||Crossroad Segment - Pinpe Nadappaval||Anjana Chandran, Joy Mathew, Sagar|
- Jayakumar, G. (27 January 2006). "The politics of a relationship". The Hindu.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lenin Rajendran.|
|This article about an Indian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to Kerala is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|