Kalamassery is municipality in the Ernakulam district and a major industrial region in the city of Kochi in the state of Kerala, India. It houses companies like Apollo Tyres and HMT; IT/Electronics Parks like KINFRA Hi Tech Park, Startup Village, and Electronics City. Kalamassery is also home to establisments like Ernakulam Medical College, Cochin University of Science and Technology, and National University of Advanced Legal Studies. The Thrikkakara temple, Unichira and Eloor industrial township, are in the vicinity of Kalamassery.
|• Official||Malayalam and English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
The Periyar river flows through Kalamassery. In local administration it is a municipality named Kalamassery Municipality. The Neighbouring localities of Kalamassery are Thrikkakara, Eloor, Edappally, Choornikkara, Edathala and Aluva.Cochin International Airport is 18 km away from Kalamassery.
The name Kalamassery is derived from Kalabhasery. In Malayalam a word can have multiple meanings: in common usage "kalabham" means yellow sandalwood paste, and in literary Malayalam, it can mean Elephant. Kalabhasery, a location near HMT, was where elephants from Thrikkakara Temple was taken for rest after celebrations at the temple. During the course of time Kalabhasery became Kalamassery. Historically, the prominent area was called Njalakam, place with a prominent Juma Masjid, but during the time of creation of Kalamassery Panchayat which includes Njalakam, it was decided to name the area Kalamassery instead of Njalakam due to the growth of Kalamassery. This growth was brought about by new industries like HMT in that area. Later, the rapid growth of Kalamassery led to it being promoted to a Municipality.
As of 2001 India census, Kalamassery had a population of 63,176. Sex ratio is 956 females per 1000 males. Kalamassery has an average literacy rate of 84%, which is significantly higher than the national average of 59.5%. Male literacy is 87%, and female literacy is 82%. In Kalamassery, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age. Hinduism is the most professed religion at 41%, followed by Islam (34%).
The soils consists mainly of recent sediments (Alluvium, Teri’s, Brown sand etc.). Red colored sticky soil is also found in these areas. The climate is generally tropical, heavy rains from the southwest and northeast monsoon are common from June through September. The average annual rainfall is about 350 cm.
FACT, India’s 1st large scale unit was set up in 1943 for production of fertiliser. In 1947, FACT Udyogamandal started production of ammonium sulphate with an installed capacity of 10,000 MT nitrogen. FACT became a Kerala State Public Sector Enterprise on 15 August 1960 and on 21 November 1962; the Government of India became a major Shareholder. FACT engineering works was established on 13 April 1966. Aluminium oxide is also produced in Kalamassery. Apollo Tyres acquired the Premier Tyres plant in Kalamassery. The Hindustan Machine Tools also known as HMT is also located at the hearts of Kalamassery . Merchem and Carborundum Universal Electro-minerals division has its offices at South Kalamassery. Many Vehicle aftersales - service centres like Toyota, Renault, Nissan, Volkswagen, Fiat India Automobiles etc., are located at Kalamassery.The Kerala State Electricity Board or KSEB sub-division is at Kalamassery . The Kochi Metro Casting Yard and Metro Village is located at HMT Colony in Kalamassery . The Science City, Startup Village, KINFRA are at Kalamassery. The Water from Periyar is supplied to Kochi City by Various pipes placed which are managed by the PWD and the Kerala Water Authority.India's first telecom incubation center located in kalamassery.
There are also many small scale industries in Kalamassery like St Antony Industries, Micro Tools, Ambadan Industries, Vellappally Manufacturing Industry, Pottekattu Rubbers Pvt.Ltd, Logiwiz, Bajaj etc. A part of South Kalamassery is as an Industrial area, with small scale industries such as perfume making industries and plastic recycling industries. Many people are engaged in employment through these industries. There are also Kudumbasree associations, employing many women. The Main Headquarters of Vodafone India is at South Kalamassery. The largest shopping mall in India- LuLu International Shopping Mall started in 2013 is at Edapally toll, which is a part of Kalamasserry Municipality.
Kalamassery is home to 3 Kochi Metro stations:
- The Kalamassery Town metro station is located at the Premier Junction in Kalamassery, in front of the Apollo Tyres factory.
- The CUSAT metro station, which is located close to Cochin University of Science and Technology in South Kalamassery.
- The Pathadipalam metro station, located near MILMA, ERCMPU LTD in Koonamthai.
Places of interestEdit
Museum of Kerala HistoryEdit
Museum of Kerala History is situated near Pathadippalam Metro Station. It has representations of 87 figures who shaped the history and culture of Kerala in the last two thousand years. The museum has a collection of 150 dolls, all hand-made and detailed, representing the cultural and ethnic diversity of India. The dolls represent young men and women from Gujarat to Nagaland and from Kashmir to Kanyakumari. The gallery depicts mainly specimens of Indian contemporary art (painting and sculpture) over a period of the last two hundred years. The gallery also displays a mural painting based on the classical Sanskrit drama Shakuntalam executed in the traditional Kerala. The mural, at 25 feet long and 5 feet wide, is one of the largest in Kerala.
Kochi Science CityEdit
The Science Park is a project of the Kerala government and is located near the Government Medical College, Kalamassery. It houses various attractions for children including an amphitheatre and a planetarium.
- Cochin Medical College
- Cochin University of Science and Technology
- National University of Advanced Legal Studies
- Model Engineering College
- St. Paul’s College
- Xavier Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship
- LBS Centre for Science & Technology
- Rajagiri College of Social Sciences
- Government Polytechnic
- Little Flower Engineering Institute
Places of worshipEdit
- St. Pius Xth Church,Kalamassery
- Thrikkakara Temple
- St. George Orthodox Church, Seaport Airport Road, Kalamassery
- Njalakam Juma Masjid,South Kalamassery
- Hayathul Islam Masjid,Changampuzha Nagar
- Kalamassery Mahaganapathy Temple
- St. Thomas Marthoma Church Kalamassery
- All Saints CSI Church
- St Marys Jacobite Church
- St Jude Knayana Church
- Kavungal Kaavu Shri Durga Bhagavathi Temple Pallilamkara
- Ibrahim Masjid,Mannopilly
- Hidayathul Islam Masjid,Changampuzha Nagar
- St.Joseph's Church Kalamassery (Social Church)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kalamassery.|
- "Multiple meaning for kalabham". Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Njalakam Juma Masjid, Kalamassery". Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- Kumar, A. Suresh; Nair, E. N. Muraleedharan; Babu, N. R. S. (1992). An Information guide to Kerala's industrial scenario 1992: towards industrial thought & action. Arya Fine Arts. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- Business World. Ananda Bazar Patrika Ltd. October 1996. p. 151. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- "Basic Services To The Urban Poor (BSUP)". Kudumbashree.org. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- "India Heritage Walk Festival".
- "Dolls Museum". Artandkeralahistory.org. Retrieved 23 March 2012.