Kakkanad is a major industrial and residential region in the city of Kochi in Kerala, India. It is situated in the eastern part of the city and houses the Cochin Special Economic Zone, Infopark, Smart City and KINFRA Export Promotion Industrial Park. It is also the administrative headquarters of the District of Ernakulam (of which the city of Kochi forms a part).
|Elevation||28 m (92 ft)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha Constituency||Ernakulam|
In the democratic local government, Kakkanad is part of Thrikkakara Municipality. The district Panchayat office is located in Kakkanad.
Kakkanad is located near Thrikkakara, the capital of the mythical King Mahabali.
In verse 273 of Naṉṉūl, a 13th-century book on Tamil grammar, Sankara Namasivayar recites a venpa that describes the twelve districts of Tamil Nadu where Koduntamil is spoken, as Thenpandi Nadu, Kutta Nadu, Kuda Nadu, Karka Nadu, Venadu, Poozhi Nadu, Pandri Nadu, Aruva Nadu, Aruva Vadathalai, Seetha Nadu, Malai Nadu and Punal Nadu. Karka Nadu is believed to be a reference to Kakkanad.The old name of kakanad is karkanad-thrikakara.
Kafka means hungry. Nadu is city. Kakkanad means hungry city.
Being the administrative hub of Ernakulam district, Kakkanad is home for several state as well as central government offices namely, the Civil Station (hosting The District Collectrate, The RTO etc.), the District Panchayat office, the Airman Selection Board, Siksha Bhavan (office of the Central HRD Ministry), Kendriya Shram Sadan (office of the Regional Labour Commissioner) etc.
- ISCA - International School of Creative Arts, Knowledge park- Infopark
- Rajagiri College of Management and Applied science
- Traum Academy for German and French Languages
- Bhavan's Varuna Vidyalaya
- Bhavan's Adarsha Vidyalaya
- Mar Athanasius HS[circular reference]
- Rajagiri Christu Jayanthi Public School
- Mar Thoma Public School
- Bharata Mata College
- Rajagiri School of Engineering & Technology
- Rajagiri College
- St Mary's Higher Secondary School, Morakkala
- The Indian Public School [TIPS], Edichira
Places for worshipEdit
- Church of Christ Kakkanad (English Worship 8-9:30AM, Malayalam Worship 10-12 PM)- http://kakkanadchurchofchrist.com
- Living Water Assembly of God Church (AG Church). www.lwagkochi.com
- New India Church of God, Grace community Church Kakkanad(Pentecostal Church)
- Bethel Sharon Fellowship Church Kakkanad [Pentecostal Church]
- Sharon Fellowship Church Kakkanad, India [Pentecostal Church]
- The Pentecostal Mission, Kakkanad [Pentecostal Church]
- St. Francis Assisi Church, Kakkanad
- St. Michael's Church, Chembumukku, kakkanad.
- St. John Bosco Church, Edachira, Kakkanad.
- St. Joseph's Church, Vazhakala.
- Christos Marthoma Church
- St Thomas Bethlehem Jacobite Syrian Church
- CSI Ascension Church
- St Kuriakose Knanya Catholic Church
- St Maximillian Kolbe Church, Padamugal-Palachuvadu Rd, Padamughal.
- Thuthiyoor Sri Krishna Swamy Temple
- Mariyamman Kovil
- Pattupurakkal Bhagavathi Temple
- Sree Ayappa Temple
- Ghanda Karna Temple
- Sree Dharma Sastha Temple
- Vettikkave Bhagavati Temple
- St. John The Baptist Orthodox Syrian Church
- Muhiyidheen Juma Majid,Kuzhikkattumoola.
- Masjidul Hudha,Near Civil Station,Kakkanad.
- Valliyath Khandakarna Temple, Edachira.
Major residential projectsEdit
- DD Diamond Valley
- SFS Homes
- Tulsi Greenfield Villas
- E V Homes Sinai Tower
- Skyline Ivy League
- Trinity World
- Prestige Hillside Gateway
- DLF New Town Heights
- Asset Petals
- Asset E-scape
- Royal Crown
- Oxoniya Infocity
- NCC Green Valley
- NCC Laurel
- Olive Apartments
Kakkanad is home for a portion of the industrial base of Kochi. It is home for the Cochin Special Economic Zone(CSEZ). Carborundum Universal Ltd has a unit near the technopolis. Industrial projects[specify] like Fashion City are proposed in Kakkanad. This has led to several builders[who?] setting up projects[which?] here.
Being the IT Capital of Kerala, Kakkanad is home for the largest IT Township in India, the Smart City, the second largest IT industrial park in Kerala, the Kochi InfoPark. Kakkanad is also home for a Software Export Promotion Zone (SEPZ). The international submarine cable systems landing in Kochi has their nodes installed in Kakkanad. The CSEZ houses the Cognizant Technology Solutions, Williamslea, WRENCH Solutions, and the Sutherland Global Solutions.
Kakkanad houses the following IT Parks:
- Smart City
- Muthoot Technopolis
- Kinfra HiTech Park
- Parsvanath IT Park
- Trans-Asia Tech Tower
- HDIL Cyber City
- Electronics City, Kochi
- WTC - World Trade Centre, Kochi
− All these together accounts for 55% of IT exports from Kerala, thus gaining the nickname "IT Capital of Kerala" for Kakkanad.
Kakkanad is also the broadcasting hub of Kochi. It is home for the terrestrial relay station of the national television broadcaster, the Doordarshan. Prasar Bharati, the corporation controlling the public broadcast, has a marketing division at Kakkanad. Kakkanad also hosts the state-owned Kochi FM Radio. Red FM Regional office is also at Kakkanad on Seaport - Airport Road, near Infopark express way.
Trinity World Tower is one of the biggest apartment project in Kakkanad. There are 4 towers in Trinity World.
Tulsi Greenfield Villas - Biggest customized villa project near Infopark & Smartcity. 86 villas within a gated community. 
Regional Chemical Examiner’s Laboratory, Ernakulam—one of the three laboratories belonging to Chemical Examiner's Laboratory Department under the Government of Kerala—is situated at Kakkanad. It has jurisdiction over central four districts namely Ernakulam, Idukki, Thrissur and Palakkad districts.
ABAD Bluechip is a residential apartment project by ABAD Builders in Kakkanad near to Inforpark and Smartcity Kochi.
Yasoram Builders have constructed the Abode project in Thammanam, Ernakulam.
Luxury furniture shop, Bespoke Furniture and More located in Kaipadamugal, Seaport-Airport Road, Kakkanad 
- List of schools in Ernakulam district
- Carborundum Universal Limited
- Surya and Kiran TV from Sun Networks broadcast from their regional headquarters at Vazhakkala, Kakkanad. Prasar Bharati opens its marketing division at Kakkanad – Chennai online report
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kakkanad.|