José Juan Vázquez
Vázquez in 2014
|Full name||José Juan Vázquez Gómez|
|Date of birth||14 March 1988|
|Place of birth||Celaya, Guanajuato, Mexico|
|Height||1.64 m (5 ft 5 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|2008||Atlético San Francisco|
|2008–2009||Cuervos Negros de Zapotlanejo|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:48, 22 August 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 21 May 2016
José Juan Vázquez began playing football professionally at the age of 19 in the fourth and third divisions of Mexico with teams such as Atlético San Francisco and Atlético Comonfort in the fourth division, and for Cuervos Negros de Zapotlanejo, América Manzanillo, and finally his home town team Celaya in the third division.
During his stay with Celaya, he was a part of the squad that achieved promotion to the Liga de Ascenso (Second Division) for the Clausura 2011 tournament. Vázquez made his second division debut with Celaya on 29 July 2011 against Leones Negros in which he played the entire 90 minutes of the game and subsequently became an undisputed starter for the rest of the season. Vázquez eventually was loaned to Club León for the Clausura 2012 tournament, one season after accomplishing promotion with Celaya.
Vázquez arrived at León on 12 December 2011 on loan while the team was still playing the Liga de Ascenso. In his first season, he started in every match, being substituted only once. During the Clausura tournament, León won the league final, giving them the right to play the Promotional final against Correcaminos, which they won by an aggregate score of 6–2, and earning promotion to the first division. Vázquez was eventually bought by León in May 2012.
On 15 December 2013, León defeated América in the Apertura final at the Estadio Azteca to win their first title since their promotion and the sixth overall in the club's history. The following tournament, Vázquez played a vital role in Leon's back-to-back championship win after defeating Pachuca in the final on 14 May 2014, playing all 90' minutes of the final at the Estadio Hidalgo.
On 2 June 2016, Chivas made the signing of Vazquez official for the Apertura 2016. Winner of Clausura 2017.
On 18 November 2017, it was confirmed that "El Gallo" was going to play for Santos Laguna
Vázquez received his first international call up for the Mexico national football team on 23 January 2014, under coach Miguel Herrera for a friendly match against South Korea held in the United States in preparation for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He started the match and played 55' minutes, being substituted out for Jesús Zavala. Mexico went on to win the match 4–0.
After few participations with the national team Vázquez was included in Miguel Herrera's final 23-man list participating in the 2014 FIFA World Cup held in Brazil on 8 May. He made his World Cup debut on 13 June against Cameroon in the Arena das Dunas. Vázquez in total completed 61 passes and recovered three balls in his first match. He was a starter in Mexico's second match against host nation Brazil in which the match ultimately ended in a 0–0 draw. In total, Vázquez has a 95.2% completed pass rate in the World Cup tournament so far. Vázquez was a starter in Mexico's final group stage match against Croatia, in which he received a yellow card and missed the match against The Netherlands.
- As of 19 June 2014
|Mexico||League||Copa MX||North America||Total|
|Apertura 2009||Celaya||Segunda División de México (3rd)||8||2||-||-||8||2|
|Apertura 2011||Celaya||Ascenso MX (2nd)||14||0||-||-||14||0|
|Clausura 2012||Léon||Ascenso MX (2nd)||20||2||-||-||20||2|
|Apertura 2012||Léon||Liga MX (1st)||20||1||3||1||-||23||2|
- Division in parenthesis
- As of 24 November 2014
|Mexico national team|
- Segunda División de México (1): Torneo Independencia 2010
- Adquiere León en definitiva carta de "El Gallo" Vázquez 3 June 2012
- Díaz, Felipez (30 April 2012). Es José Juan Vázquez gallo de pelea. am.com.mx
- Confirma Martínez a José Juan Vázquez como primer refuerzo de La ‘Fiera’ Archived 3 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine Dec 2011 "El ‘Gallo’ Vázquez jugó 15 partidos como titular y sumó 1350 minutos, además que forma parte del equipo que subió al Celaya en el Clausura 2011."
- Yahoo. Mx.deportes.yahoo.com (28 November 2015). Retrieved on 2015-12-02.
- Mediotiempo – Futbol, Liguilla, NFL, NBA, Lucha Libre, Más Deportes Archived 4 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine. M.mediotiempo.com. Retrieved on 2 December 2015.
- Mediotiempo – Futbol, Liguilla, NFL, NBA, Lucha Libre, Más Deportes Archived 4 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine. M.mediotiempo.com (29 January 2014). Retrieved on 2015-12-02.
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ – Matches. FIFA.com (13 June 2014). Retrieved on 2015-12-02.
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ – Matches. FIFA.com (17 June 2014). Retrieved on 2015-12-02.
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™. FIFA.com. Retrieved on 2 December 2015.
- Medio Tiempo League Stats Archived 13 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Mediotiempo.com (18 March 2015). Retrieved on 2015-12-02.
- Includes Copa Libertadores
- "Regresó el Gigante". chivasdecorazon.com.mx. 28 May 2017. Retrieved 28 May 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "Hace historia en la Copa". chivasdecorazon.com.mx. 19 April 2017. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- "¡Chivas Campeón de la SuperCopa MX!". chivasdecorazon.com.mx. 10 July 2016. Retrieved 10 July 2016.