Jenny Lumet (born February 2, 1967) is an American actress and screenwriter. She is the daughter of director Sidney Lumet and granddaughter of Lena Horne. Lumet is perhaps most known for writing the original screenplay of the 2008 Jonathan Demme film Rachel Getting Married.
|Born||February 2, 1967|
New York City, New York, U.S.
(m. 1994; div. 2004)
|Children||2; including Jake Cannavale|
Early life and educationEdit
Lumet was born in New York City. She is the second daughter born to director Sidney Lumet and journalist/writer Gail Buckley. On her paternal side, she is of Polish Jewish ancestry. Her paternal grandfather was Baruch Lumet, who was a Yiddish theatre actor. On her maternal side, she is African American, with extensive roots in post-colonial America. Her maternal grandmother was singer Lena Horne. In 1984, Lumet graduated from Dalton School.
Lumet began working in the entertainment industry as an actress. She appeared in small roles in two films directed by her father, Deathtrap and Running on Empty, before playing the role of Nancy Bosch in his 1990 film Q&A. Lumet wrote the screenplay for the 2008 Jonathan Demme film, Rachel Getting Married. In 2016, Lumet had a CBS drama with a pilot commitment. Lumet was a drama teacher at the Manhattan Country School in New York City. In 2018, Lumet joined the staff of Star Trek: Discovery as a consulting producer, and was subsequently promoted to co-executive producer. She co-wrote "Runaway", the first of the Short Treks mini-episodes.
Lumet was married to actor Bobby Cannavale from 1994 until their divorce in 2004. Their son is the actor Jake Cannavale. Lumet has a daughter with second husband Alexander Weinstein, whom she married in 2008. On November 30, 2017, Lumet alleged she had been sexually assaulted by Russell Simmons in 1991. In response, he said he was removing himself from the businesses that he founded.
- 2008: Film Independent Spirit Awards, Best First Screenplay (nomination) for Rachel Getting Married
- 2008: New York Film Critics Circle Awards, Best Screenplay for Rachel Getting Married
- 2008: Toronto Film Critics Association Awards, Best Screenplay for Rachel Getting Married
- 2009: NAACP Image Awards, Outstanding Writing in a Motion Picture (Theatrical or Television) for Rachel Getting Married
- 1975: Everybody Rides the Carousel – Stage 4 (voice)
- 1982: Deathtrap – Stage Newsboy
- 1988: Running on Empty – Music Girl
- 1988: Tougher Than Leather – Pam
- 1990: Q&A – Nancy Bosch
- 1994: Assassination (Short) – Stephanie Merrin
- 1995: DodgeBall – Claudette Mitty
- 2008: Rachel Getting Married – Writer
- 2017: The Mummy – Writer (screen story)
- Sidney Lumet: Interviews
- Rapf, Joanna E., ed. (2005). Sidney Lumet: Interviews. University Press of Mississippi. p. Chronology xix. ISBN 978-1578067244.
1967 ... Daughter Jenny Lumet born
- Jackson, Candace (24 July 2009). "Jenny Getting Noticed". The Wall Street Journal.
- Scott, A. O. (2 October 2008). "Anne Hathaway's Wreaking Havoc in Jonathan Demme's New Film". The New York Times.
- Gross, Terry; Lumet, Jenny; Demme, Jonathan (9 October 2008). "Behind The Scenes Of 'Rachel Getting Married': Demme, Lumet on Getting 'Rachel' Married" (Includes audio interview). Fresh Air. NPR.
- Brozan, Nadine (20 June 1986). "Born in a Trunk: The Story of the Hornes". The New York Times.
- Stone, Michael (10 March 1986). "Pressure Points: Frazzled Students at the City's Top Schools". New York. p. 31.
- "Chatter: Family Ties". People. 33 (17). April 30, 1990.
- King, Susan (28 September 2008). "Going off script: Actress, teacher and finally writer -- Jenny Lumet arrives". Los Angeles Times.
- Wood, Gaby (January 25, 2009). "My debt to a dishwasher: Jenny Lumet, Hollywood's most exciting screenwriter, comes clean to Gaby Wood about the influences that helped shape her career". The Guardian.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 20, 2016). "CBS Nabs Jenny Lumet Hate Crimes Drama Produced By Alex Kurtzman & Katie Couric With Put Pilot Commitment". Deadline Hollywood.
- Andreeva, Nellie (29 June 2018). "'Star Trek: Discovery': James Duff Joins As Executive Producer & Inks CBS TV Studios Overall Deal, Duo Promoted". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- Bloom, Mike (4 October 2018). "'Star Trek: Short Treks' Episode 1 Packs a Lot into 15 Minutes". The Hollywood Reporter. Valence Media. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- Horyn, Cathy (24 June 2011). "For the Screenwriter Jenny Lumet, a Childhood With Two Icons". The New York Times.
- Lumet, Jenny (November 30, 2017). "Writer Jenny Lumet: Russell Simmons Sexually Violated Me (Guest Column)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Marcin, Tim (November 30, 2017). "Who is Jenny Lumet? Russell Simmons resigns after screenwriter alleges sexual misconduct". Newsweek. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- "2008 Awards: Best Screenplay: Jenny Lumet, Rachel Getting Married". New York Film Critics Circle. 2008.
- "Author Q&A: Jenny Lumet, Screenwriter, "Rachel Getting Married"". Write On Online. Retrieved 2017-12-05.