Investopedia is an American website based in New York City that focuses on investing and finance education along with reviews, ratings and comparisons of various financial products such as brokerage accounts.
Type of site
|Finance and Investing|
|Headquarters||New York City|
|Alexa rank||567 (March 2018[update])|
|Launched||June 6, 1999|
Investopedia was founded by Cory Wagner and Cory Janssen in Edmonton, Alberta at the height of the dot-com era in 1999. Wagner focused on business development and R&D, and Janssen focused on marketing and sales. Investopedia drew about 2,500,000 monthly users and provided a popular financial dictionary with over 5,300 terms drawn from personal finance, banking and accounting. It also provided thousands of in-depth articles by financial experts and a Stock Simulator.
In 2010, Forbes sold Investopedia to ValueClick Inc. for $42 Million.
In 2013, IAC/InterActive Corp acquired Investopedia.com as part of a group of internet properties from ValueClick Inc for $80 Million.
Since 2013, IAC has backed Investopedia’s growth and supported its investment into video, timely news production, personal finance tools, and investing education to where Investopedia now delivers more than 28 million monthly unique visitors and nearly 100 million monthly page views.
On Feb 26, 2019, Investopedia released it's 2019 Best Online Brokers Awards. The awards featured 12 categories including Best Overall Online Brokers, Best Stock Trading Apps, Best for Options Trading, Best Brokers for Low Costs, and more.
- "Investopedia.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved March 6, 2018.
- "Forbes Media Acquires Investopedia.com". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 11 April 2007.
- Nicole, Kristen. "Investopedia Acquired by Forbes". Mashable. Retrieved 12 April 2007.
- Wauters, Robin. "Forbes Sells Investopedia To ValueClick In $42 Million Deal". TechCrunch.
- Barinka, Alex (10 December 2013). "IAC Gets a Bargain in Buying ValueClick Websites". Bloomberg.com.
- Ha, Anthony, "IAC Hires David Siegel As CEO Of Finance Website Investopedia", techcrunch.com, March 10, 2015.
- Simon, Dan, "Success By The Numbers: An Interview With Investopedia CEO David Siegel", Forbes, February 29, 2016.
- "Investopedia Academy". Investopedia Academy.
- "Investopedia Academy Launches to Empower Consumers with Financial Skills".
- Investopedia. "Investopedia Unveils its 2019 Best Online Brokers Awards". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2019-03-29.
- "Nasdaq". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2019-03-29.