Ad Age (known as Advertising Age until 2017) is a global media brand that publishes news, analysis, and data on marketing and media. Its namesake magazine was started as a broadsheet newspaper in Chicago in 1930. Ad Age appears in multiple formats, including its website, daily email newsletters, social channels, events and a bimonthly print magazine.
|Editor (India)||Unais Muhammad|
|Categories||Advertising and Marketing|
|Founded||January 11, 1930|
|Company||Crain Communications, Inc.|
|Based in||New York City|
Ad Age is based in New York City. Its parent company, the Detroit-based Crain Communications, is a privately held publishing company with more than 30 magazines, including Autoweek, Crain's New York Business, Crain's Chicago Business, Crain's Detroit Business, and Automotive News.
The site AdCritic.com was acquired by The Ad Age Group in March 2002.
In 2007 Ad Age acquired the Thoddands Power 150, which is a top marketing blogs list.
An industry trade magazine, BtoB, was folded into Advertising Age in January 2014.
In 2017, the magazine shortened its name to Ad Age.
Ad Age, which The New York Times in 2014 called "the largest publication in the ad trade field" published in 1999 a list of the top 100 players in advertising history. Among these were Alvin Achenbaum, Bill Backer, Marion Harper Jr., Mary Wells Lawrence, ACNielsen, David Ogilvy, and J. Walter Thompson.
In 1980, Henderson Advertising, founded 1946 by James M. Henderson in Greenville, South Carolina, became the first agency outside New York or Chicago to be named Advertising Age's "Advertising Agency of the Year".
Since 2016, Ad Age has been running an annual award called Creativity 50 honoring the 50 most creative people in the advertising, marketing, technology and entertainment industries, in addition to top creative campaigns and the most innovative advertising. Past winners have also included entertainers such as Beyonce, David Bowie, Sia, Dwayne Johnson, James Corden, Donald Glover, Stephen Colbert and author Kelly Oxford.
Thirty years after Ad Age's "Guns must go!" headline, on an editorial in response to the 1968 assassination of Robert F. Kennedy, the periodical's founder's eldest son wrote "Nothing Ad Age has done before or since has provoked a bigger response." There were "cancel my subscription" responses to what was described as "It is the first time I have ever seen Advertising Age step out of their field. ... What's more, it is not terribly becoming."
- Stuart Elliott (January 6, 2014). "Advertising Age to Reduce Its Print Frequency". The New York Times.
- Pollack, Judann (September 26, 2017). "Ad Age Comes of Age: A Timeline of Classic Covers". adage.com. Archived from the original on 2017-10-04. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Crain Communications, Inc.|Company Profile|Vault.com". Vault. Archived from the original on 2016-11-15. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "Sidney Bernstein, Ad Age Chief, Dies". The Washington Post. May 31, 1993.
- Olsen, Stefanie (March 27, 2002). "Trade-mag publisher absorbs AdCritic". CNET. Archived from the original on 2016-12-15. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- "Ad Age "acquires" Top Marketing Blogs List - The Power 150". Experience Curve. 2007-07-23. Retrieved 2023-01-18.
- D.B. Hebbard (October 1, 2013). "Crain Communications says it will fold BtoB magazine into Advertising Age in 2014". Talking New Media. Archived from the original on 2017-02-02. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- Kaufman, David (2017-09-24). "Ad Age is getting a new look in rebrand effort". New York Post. Retrieved 2019-05-29.
- Fred Danzig (March 29, 1999). "Top 100 Advertising People". Retrieved April 24, 2022.
- "James M. Henderson (1921-1995)". knowitall.org. Archived from the original on June 12, 2013. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- "Ad Age reveals their Creativity 50 list". Media Marketing. 2016-12-21. Retrieved 2023-01-18.
- Fox, Jesse David (2012-07-10). "Louis C.K., Aziz Ansari, Lena Dunham, Kelly Oxford Honored by 'Advertising Age'". Vulture. Retrieved 2023-01-18.
- "Terry Crews, Donald Glover, And Stephen Colbert: Ad Age Releases Their 'Creativity 50' List For 2017". Majic 102.3 - 92.7. 2017-12-19. Retrieved 2023-01-18.
- "Ad Age introduces winners of 2022 Ad Age's Creativity Awards | Marketing Edge Magazine". Marketing Edge Magazine. 2022-04-26. Retrieved 2023-01-18.
- "The Creativity 50 2016: The Most Creative People of the Year". Ad Age. 2016-12-19. Retrieved 2023-01-18.
- Rance Crain (June 7, 1999). "Recalling a Simpler Time". Advertising Age.
- "Recalling a day when Ad Biz took aim at gun issue". ChicagoBusiness. May 22, 1999.