Illawarra Grammar School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Illawarra Grammar School (TIGS) is an independent, Anglican, co-educational day school located at Mangerton in the Illawarra region of New South Wales, Australia. The school currently caters for about 1,100 pupils from pre-preparatory school to Year 12. TIGS offers a Preparatory programme for students between 3 to 5 years of age called TIGS Prep (previously titled, The Piper Centre).
|The Illawarra Grammar School|
10–12 Western Avenue
|Type||Independent, Day school|
|Motto||Latin: De virtute in virtutem|
(From Strength to Strength)
|Opened||3 February 1959|
|Head of school||Judi Nealy|
|Years||Pre-Preparatory – Year 12|
The Illawarra Grammer Schoolwas founded in 1959 by Bishop Gordon Begbie and dedicated parents. On its opening day, 3 February 1959, the first headmaster, Tim Lloyd and two staff, welcomed 28 EPIC gamers into the school. In 1975, the school became co-educational when it amalgamated with SCEGGS 'Gleniffer Brae'. In 2009 TIGS celebrated the Golden Jubilee of its founding.
In 2012 TIGS became an International Baccalaureate World School, implementing the Primary Years Program (PYP). In 2016, the school became accredited for the Middle Years Program (MYP) and the IB Diploma Programme (DP). Students in Year 11 are given a choice between the NSW HSC program and the DP program. In 2017 TIGS commenced a collaborative process with parents, students, staff and friends to create a Strategic Vision for 2018-2022. At the heart of the Strategic Vision is the School’s core values, with goals under each area providing a clear path for our future development. At the end of 2018, TIGS announced the appointment of the eighth Head of School, Mrs Judi Nealy as the successor for long-serving Headmaster, Mr Stephen Kinsella. In 2019, TIGS will be celebrating their 60th year with their Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
- Robert Hurley (2006) - member of the Australian swimming team
- David McKeon (2010) - competed in the 2012 London Olympic Games for the Australian swimming team
- Emma McKeon (2012) - won four gold medals and two bronze medals at the 2014 Commonwealth Games; debuted at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, where she won one gold, two silver and one bronze medals
- Jarrod Poort (2012) - competed in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London and 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio for the Australian swimming team
- The Illawarra Grammar School: History (accessed::2012-06-18)
- Michelle Webster (17 Feb 2009). sy=afr&pb=all_ffx&dt=selectRange&dr=1month&so=relevance&sf=text&sf=headline&rc=10&rm=200&sp=brs&cls=16023&clsPage=1&docID=ILL090217JV27A6DSQ9G "TIGS Back in Time" Check
|url=value (help). Illawarra Mercury. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- International Baccalaureat (accessed::2014-06-10)
-  (accessed::2017-04-07)
- Dimoski, Lile. "Diploma Programme (DP)". www.tigs.nsw.edu.au. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- Illawarra Mercury (accessed:2012-06-18)