Hua Chunying (born April 1970) is a Chinese politician. She is the Deputy Director of the Foreign Ministry Information Department of the People's Republic of China. Hua is the fifth spokeswoman and 27th spokesperson since the spokesperson system was established in the ministry back in 1983.
Hua Chunying in 2011
|Deputy Director of Foreign Ministry Information Department of the People's Republic of China|
|Director||Qing Gang→Liu Jianchao→Lu Kang|
|Preceded by||Hong Lei|
|Born||April 1970 (age 48)
|Political party||Communist Party of China|
|Alma mater||Nanjing University|
Hua was born in a highly educated family in Huai'an, Jiangsu, both her parents were officials. Her father was the former Secretary of the Discipline Inspection Commission of the Communist Party of China in Huai’an County and her mother was the Deputy Director of a local district. She graduated from Nanjing University in 1992, where she majored in English language at the School of Foreign Languages.
After graduation, Hua was appointed as an official in the Department of Western Europe and over a period of 20 years worked her way up to the position of spokeswoman. From 1995 onwards, she spent four years in Singapore as an attaché. From 2003 to 2010, she was promoted from her position as secretary to that of counselor in China’s Mission to the European Union.
In 2012, Hua was promoted to become the Deputy Director of Foreign Ministry Information Department of the People's Republic of China, she also serves concurrently as the spokeswoman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China.
Hua has criticized the US plea to release Pu Zhiqiang saying "I think lots of people have the same feeling with me, that some people in the United States have hearts that are too big and hands that are too long. Washington should address human rights problems at home and stop trying to be the world's policeman or judge."
In 2018, in response to the US tariffs imposed on trade with China, Hua said "In international relationships, every time you change, every time you break a promise, the country’s credibility is damaged."
- "Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on May 6, 2014". Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- "Hua Chunying, nueva portavoz del Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores de China" (in Spanish). 2012.
- "Hua Chunying Named as New Spokeswoman for the Foreign Ministry". 2012. Archived from the original on 2016-04-06.
- 外交部新发言人出生干部家庭 大学四年没谈恋爱 . Tencent (in Chinese). 2012-11-19. Archived from the original on 2012-11-19.
- 华春莹任外交部新发言人 下周一主持发布会 . 163.COM (in Chinese). 2012-11-16.
- "China Rebukes U.S. Over Criticism of Civil Rights Lawyer's Detention". New York Times. 7 May 2015. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "Twitter". 30 May 2018. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- 外交部发言人华春莹：工作和加班以外，就在网球场 . Sohu (in Chinese). 2018-04-12.
- 外交部女发言人爱打网球 这样的华春莹你见过吗 . sina (in Chinese). 2018-04-11.