|Alma mater||Beijing Foreign Studies University|
|Known for||Global Times Editor|
Early life and educationEdit
Hu was born in Beijing. After graduating with a master's degree in Russian literature from Beijing Foreign Studies University in 1989, Hu began his career as a journalist at the People's Daily. Hu took part in the Tiananmen protests in 1989, and he calls the military action a tragedy caused by student naivety and government inexperience.
He can speak Chinese, English and Russian.
Working as a foreign correspondent for the paper, he covered both the Bosnian War and the Iraq War. After covering Yugoslavia's break-up as a war correspondent, he came to admire strong Communist rule.
Hu became editor of the Global Times in 2005, editing both the Chinese-language version and, after its establishment in 2009, the English-language version. During Hu's time as editor of the Global Times, he has become known as a bellicose hard-liner. “Frisbee Hu,” a nickname for Hu Xijin, arose from a joke that he retrieves whatever the government throws at him.
Accusations of "astroturfing"Edit
According to Richard Burger, a former editor at the Global Times, in the wake of the arrest of Ai Weiwei, the Chinese staff of the Global Times were ordered by Hu to conduct an "astroturfing" campaign against Ai Weiwei in favour of the Chinese government's criticism of Ai as a "maverick".
- Teixeira, Lauren. "Beijing's Propaganda Is Playing the Trade War Safe". Foreign Policy. Retrieved 2019-08-28.
- "Chinese representative of the Third China-Germany Media Forum: Hu Xijin". Global Times. 30 August 2012. Retrieved 2013-02-06.[dead link]
- "China's Global Times plays a peculiar role". 20 September 2018. Retrieved 2018-09-28.
- Global Times Russia (2019-08-22). "Владимир Путин сказал, что «восьмёрки» давно не существует. «Как же я могу возвратиться в организацию, которой не существует? »pic.twitter.com/cDblteG3B3". Twitter (in Russian). Retrieved 2019-08-24.
- Garnaut, John (18 December 2010). "A cocktail of conspiracies delivered daily". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2013-02-06.
- Henochowicz, Anne (6 February 2014). "Eluding the "Ministry of Truth"". Nieman Reports.
- "外籍傳媒人踢爆 總編命搜尋評論按中共路線批駁 《環球時報》抹黑艾未未內幕" [Foreign media insider exposes Global Times' managing editor's smearing of Ai Weiwei]. Apple Daily (in Chinese). Hong Kong. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- Apple Daily. "Foreign Media Insider Exposes Global Times's Smearing Of Ai Weiwei". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-04-16.[dead link]