Martin Luther Church
|• Mayor||Thomas Günther (SPD)|
|• Total||31.29 km2 (12.08 sq mi)|
|Elevation||33 m (108 ft)|
|• Density||840/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
In 1951/2, the Havel Canal was constructed to link Hennigsdorf with Paretz, thus avoiding a passage through the reach of the River Havel, between Spandau and Potsdam, that was under the political control of West Berlin. The canal is still in use, providing a shorter route for shipping from west of Berlin to the Oder–Havel Canal and Poland.
Hennigsdorf consists of 3 districts:
- Nieder Neuendorf (since 1923)
- Stolpe-Süd (since May 1, 1998)
Hennigsdorf is home to Stahl Hennigsdorf Rugby, a rugby union club. The team, formed in 1948 under the leadership of Erwin Thiesies, was the most successful side during the East German era of the town, having won 27 national championships from 1952 to 1990. The Yu-Gi-Oh! duelist Leon Schreit has also won the Yu-Gi-Oh! National Championship 2013 in Amsterdam.
- Michael Hartmann (1974– ), footballer
- Frank Klawonn (1966– ), rower
- Dirk Kummer (1966– ), actor, director, writer
- Martin Männel (1988– ), footballer
- Erich Muhsfeldt (1913–1948), SS officer at Auschwitz and Majdanek concentration camps executed for war crimes
- Erich Priebke (1913–2013), Nazi war criminal
- Karsten Schmeling (1962– ), rower
- Erwin Thiesies (1908–1993), rugby union player who died in Hennigsdorf
- LEW Hennigsdorf, large rail vehicle factory located in Hennigsdorf
- "Bevölkerung im Land Brandenburg nach amtsfreien Gemeinden, Ämtern und Gemeinden 31. Dezember 2019". Amt für Statistik Berlin-Brandenburg (in German). July 2020.
- Sheffield, Barry (1995). Inland Waterways of Germany. St Ives: Imray Laurie Norie & Wilson. p. 100. ISBN 0-85288-283-1.
- "Partnerstädte". hennigsdorf.de (in German). Hennigsdorf. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- Kröger, Michael; Wassermann, Andreas (13 November 2019). "Neue Tesla-Fabrik in Brandenburg: Warum ausgerechnet Grünheide?". Spiegel Online. Archived from the original on 15 November 2019.
The Riva-Stahl group operates electric steel plant in nearby Hennigsdorf .. train manufacturer Bombardier is also based in Hennigsdorf
- Rugby in Hennigsdorf - Eine Chronologie (in German) Stahl Hennigsdorf website - club history, accessed: 10 April 2010
- Detailed data sources are to be found in the Wikimedia Commons.Population Projection Brandenburg at Wikimedia Commons
Media related to Hennigsdorf at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Hennigsdorf.|
- Official website (in German)
|This Brandenburg location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|