Harlingen (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈɦɑrlɪŋə(n)] (listen), West Frisian: Harns) is a municipality and a city in the northern Netherlands, in the province of Friesland on the coast of Wadden Sea. Harlingen is a town with a long history of fishing and shipping. Harlingen received city rights in 1234.
West Frisian: Harns
Zuiderhaven harbour, Harlingen
Location in Friesland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Roel Sluiter (PvdA)|
|• Total||387.67 km2 (149.68 sq mi)|
|• Land||25.03 km2 (9.66 sq mi)|
|• Water||362.64 km2 (140.02 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
|• Density||632/km2 (1,640/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Harlingen is served by two stations on the railway line from Leeuwarden. From 1904 to 1935 there was a passenger service on the North Friesland Railway, freight being carried until January 1938. Rederij Doeksen operate ferries to the Wadden islands of Vlieland and Terschelling that depart from Harlingen.
The famous Dutch writer Simon Vestdijk was born in Harlingen and used to depict his hometown in his writings as Lahringen.
- Simon Frisius (c.1570–75 – c.1628/29) a Dutch engraver.
- Maarten Gerritsz Vries (1589–1647) Dutch cartographer and explorer
- Sebastiaen Jansen Krol (1595–1674) Director of New Netherland 1632/1633
- Jacob Adriaensz Backer (1609–1651) a Dutch Golden Age painter
- Tako Hajo Jelgersma (1702–1795) a Dutch painter
- Jacobus Deketh (1726–1764) a captain in the Frisian Admiralty
- Joannes de Mol (1726–1782) a Dutch minister, Patriot and porcelain manufacturer
- Court Lambertus van Beyma (1753-1820) a public notary and auctioneer, delegate of the States of Friesland
- Nicolaas Baur (1767–1820) was a Dutch marine artist
- Johannes Kayser (1842-1917) a Dutch architect, primarily of churches
- J.J.L. Duyvendak (1889–1954) a Dutch Sinologist and professor of Chinese
- Simon Vestdijk (1898–1971) a Dutch writer, nominated 15 times for the Nobel prize in literature
- Peter J Sterkenburg (1955-2000) a Dutch autodidact painter of maritime scenes
- Jan Ykema (born 1963) a former ice speed skater, silver medallist at the 1988 Winter Olympics
- Abe de Vries (born 1965) a Frisian poet, essayist, literary critic, journalist, editor, translator and photographer
- Joost Vandebrug (born 1982) a Dutch photographer, video director and documentary film director 
- "Het College van B&W" [The board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Harlingen. Archived from the original on 30 August 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 8861BD". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- IMDb Database retrieved 28 July 2019