Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum
Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (Arabic: حمدان بن محمد بن راشد آل مكتوم; born 14 November 1982) is the Crown Prince of Dubai. He is popularly known as Fazza (Arabic: فزاع), the name under which he publishes his poetry, which means "the one who helps" in Arabic. As an equestrian, Maktoum is a multiple world champion at the World Equestrian Games.
|Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum|
|Crown Prince of Dubai|
|In office||1 February 2008 – present|
|Predecessor||Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
|Monarch||Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
|Deputy Ruler of Dubai|
|In office||4 January 2006 – 1 February 2008|
|Predecessor||Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
|Successor||Maktoum bin Mohammed Al Maktoum|
|Monarch||Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
|Born||14 November 1982|
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Sheikha bint Saeed bin Thani Al Maktoum
|Issue||Rashid bin Hamdan Al Maktoum|
Sheikha bint Hamdan Al Maktoum
|Father||Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
|Mother||Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum|
Early life and education
Hamdan bin Mohammed is the son of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum, the senior wife of Mohammed. He is the second son of their 12 children and the fourth of his father's children. Hamdan's elder full brother was Sheikh Rashid bin Mohammed.
Hamdan bin Mohammed was educated in Dubai at the Rashid School For Boys, and then at the Dubai School of Government. He continued his studies in the United Kingdom, where he graduated from Sandhurst in 2001, and later attended the London School of Economics. In his interview with Vision he described how Sandhurst taught him the importance of self-discipline, commitment, virtue, responsibility, endurance, understanding, teamwork, friendship and the benefits of hard work.
Roles and positions
Hamdan was appointed as the Chairman of the Dubai executive council in September 2006. On 1 February 2008, he was appointed Crown Prince of Dubai, while his brother Sheikh Maktoum bin Mohammed Al Maktoum acceded to deputy ruler of Dubai. As the new hereditary prince, Fazza appointed new key personnel and financial advisors such as John Calverly, a global economist, as well as a hedge fund tycoon, James T Naeem, while Fazza himself became head of HN Capital LLP. He is the head of the Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Establishment for young entrepreneurs, and sits on the Dubai sports council and the Dubai autism centre.
He was part of the Dubai World Expo 2020 delegation when Dubai was awarded the rights to host the event. He went to the top floor of the Burj Khalifa to wave the UAE flag a few days after the World Expo 2020 win. He is the founder of the Hamdan International Photography Award, which was launched in 2011.
The Crown Prince's Instagram account has more than 12 million followers, as of July 2021. He posts pictures that showcase his hobbies, which include animals, poetry, sports, photography and adventures.
Hamdan Al Maktoum is a licensed equestrian, sky diver and scuba diver. He dives in Fujairah. He is known for his romantic and patriotic poems in Arabic. He publishes his poems under the pen name of Fazza (فزاع). He rides for Godolphin Stables and has attended the Royal Ascot.
Sheikh Hamdan won a gold medal at the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ 2014 in Normandy (FRA), team gold in 2012 and a bronze medal in 2010. He led a team of five UAE riders at Championships in Samorín on 17 September, 2016.
On 15 May 2019, Hamdan married his cousin, Sheikha Shaikha bint Saeed bin Thani Al Maktoum. On the same day, his brothers, Maktoum and Ahmad, also got married. On 6 June 2019, he and his brothers celebrated the royal weddings together at the Dubai World Trade Center. On 21 May 2021, it was announced that Sheikh Hamdan had welcomed twins, a son named Rashid and a daughter named Shaikha.
|Ancestors of Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum|
- "13 facts about Sheikh Hamdan to celebrate 13 years as Crown Prince of Dubai". The National. 1 February 2021. Retrieved 2 February 2021.
- "Sheikh Hamdan takes father's Endurance World Championship crown". Yahoo! News. 29 August 2014. Retrieved 30 April 2021.
- "Sheikh Hamdan crowned champion of FEI World Equestrian Games". Buro247. 30 August 2014. Retrieved 30 April 2021.
- Christopher M. Davidson (29 November 2009). "A tale of two desert dynasties". The Telegraph. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Crown Prince Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum". royalista.com/. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "HH Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum". LinkedIn. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Profile: Shaikh Hamdan bin Mohammad Al Maktoum". Gulf News. 1 February 2008. Archived from the original on 9 February 2008. Retrieved 9 January 2008.
- "Shaikh Hamdan appointed Dubai's Crown Prince". Gulf News. 1 February 2008. Archived from the original on 8 February 2008. Retrieved 9 February 2008.
- "A very modern prince". Archived from the original on 31 July 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "Sheikh Mohammed: A timeline of achievements". Gulf News. 5 January 2019. Retrieved 16 April 2021.
- "Maktoum Bin Mohammad: Following in his father's footsteps". Gulf News. 5 June 2019. Retrieved 16 April 2021.
- "Fan Page information source". Retrieved 29 April 2021.
- "Expo 2020: Dubai celebrates in style". Archived from the original on 23 December 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "Shaikh Hamdan waves UAE flag from top of Burj Khalifa - Khaleej Times". Khaleej Times. 28 November 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "Hamdan International Photography Award". artdubai.ae. Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- Iyer, Anita (3 January 2018). "Do you know who Sheikh Hamdan follows on Instagram?". Khaleej Times. Archived from the original on 5 February 2020. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- "Mohammed, Hamdan at the second day of Royal Ascot". Emirates 24/7. 18 June 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Longines FEI World Endurance Championships 2016 - Slovakia Welcomes Record 46 Nations". Fédération Équestre Internationale. 15 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed gets ready to retain World Equestrian Games title". The National. 17 September 2016.
- "Everything that went down at the Dubai Royal Wedding this weekend". Emirates Woman. 16 June 2019. Archived from the original on 24 October 2019.
- "Sheikh Hamdan married: Dubai Crown Prince and brothers celebrate their weddings". The National. 16 May 2019.
- "Dubai Crown Prince Sheikh Hamdan just got married". Esquireme. 16 May 2019.
- "Dubai Crown Prince Sheikh Hamdan, brothers get married". Zawya. 16 May 2019.
- "UAE celebrates Hamdan, Maktoum, Ahmad weddings". Gulf News. 6 June 2019.
- "The Sons of HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum are Married! Here's Everything You Need to Know". Vogue. 16 May 2019. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- "HH Sheikh Hamdan and His Brothers' Wedding Reception Date Has Been Revealed and It's Closer Than You Think". Vogue. 27 May 2019. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- "Blog: An inside look at Al Maktoum royal wedding". Khaleej Times. 6 June 2019. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- "Video, pictures: UAE celebrates royal wedding reception in Dubai". Gulf Business. 6 June 2019. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- "Sheikh Hamdan welcomes twins Rashid and Sheikha into the world". The National. 22 May 2021. Retrieved 9 August 2021.
- "Photos: Dubai's Sheikh Hamdan becomes a father, welcomes twins". Khaleej Times. 20 May 2021. Retrieved 9 August 2021.
- "REAL DECRETO 893/2008" (PDF). Boletín Oficial del Estado. 27 May 2008. Retrieved 5 March 2021.