Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum
Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (Arabic حمدان بن محمد بن راشد آل مكتوم) (born 14 November 1982) is the Crown Prince of Dubai, United Arab Emirates. He is popularly known as Fazza (Arabic: فزاع), the name under which he publishes his poetry, and which means "the one who helps" in Arabic.
|Crown Prince of Dubai|
Member of the house of Al-Falasi
Sheikh Hamdan in Summit on the Global Agenda in 2009
|Crown Prince of Dubai|
|Proclamation||1 February 2008 – present|
|Born||14 November 1982|
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Sheikha Sheikha bint Saeed bin Thani Al Maktoum (m. 2019)
|Father||Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
|Mother||Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum|
|Representing United Arab Emirates|
|World Equestrian Games|
|2010 Kentucky||Team endurance|
|2014 Normandy||Individual endurance|
|2010 Kentucky||Individual endurance|
Early life and education
Hamdan Bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum is the son of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum, the senior wife of Mohammed. He is the second son of their 12 children and the fourth of his father's children. Hamdan's elder full brother was Sheikh Rashid bin Mohammed.
Hamdan Bin Mohammed al Maktoum was educated in Dubai at the Rashid School For Boys, and then at the Dubai School of Government. He continued his studies in the United Kingdom where he graduated from Sandhurst in 2001, and later attended the London School of Economics. In his interview with Vision he described how Sandhurst taught him the importance of self-discipline, commitment, virtue, responsibility, endurance, understanding, teamwork, friendship and the benefits of hard work.
Roles and positions
Hamdan was appointed as the chairman of the Dubai executive council in September 2006. On 1 February 2008, he was named as the Crown Prince of Dubai. As the new hereditary prince, he appointed new key personal and financial advisors such as a global economist and a hedge fund tycoon from HN Capital LLP. In July 2009, he was appointed president of Hamdan Bin Mohammed Smart University formerly Hamdan Bin Mohammed e-University. He is also the head of the Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Establishment for young entrepreneurs, and sits on the Dubai sports council and the Dubai autism centre.
He was part of the Dubai World Expo 2020 delegation when Dubai was awarded the rights to host the event. He also went to the top floor of the Burj Khalifa to wave the UAE flag, a few days after the World Expo 2020 win. He is also the founder of the Hamdan International Photography Award, which was launched in 2011.
The Crown Prince's Instagram account has more than 8.2 million followers as of June 2019; he posts pictures that showcase his hobbies, which include animals, poetry, sports, photography and adventures.
On 15 May 2019, he married Sheikha Sheikha bint Saeed bin Thani Al Maktoum.
Hamdan Al Maktoum is a licensed and a well cultivated equestrian, a sky diver and a scuba diver. He dives in Fujairah. He is known for his romantic and patriotic poems in Arabic. He publishes his poems under the name Faz3 (فزاع). He rides for Godolphin stables. He is also a member of the Royal Ascot.
Sheikh Hamdan won a gold medal at the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ 2014 in Normandy (FRA), team gold in 2012 and a bronze medal in 2010. He led a team of five UAE riders at Championships in Samorín on 17 September 2016.
Titles, styles and honours
The Crown Prince
|Reference style||His Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Highness|
|Alternative style||Crown Prince|
- 14 November 1982 – 4 January 2006: Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum
- 4 January 2006 – 1 February 2008: His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum[clarification needed]
- 1 February 2008 – Present: His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai
|Ancestors of Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum|
- Daily Mail. 10 June 2015. Gilded life of the boy who delighted the Queen at the Derby[better source needed]
- Davidson, Christopher M. (29 November 2009). "A tale of two desert dynasties". The Telegraph. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Crown Prince Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum". royalista.com/. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "HH Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum". LinkedIn. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Profile: Shaikh Hamdan bin Mohammad Al Maktoum". Gulf News. 1 February 2008. Archived from the original on 9 February 2008. Retrieved 9 January 2008.
- "Shaikh Hamdan appointed Dubai's Crown Prince". Gulf News. 1 February 2008. Archived from the original on 8 February 2008. Retrieved 9 February 2008.
- "A very modern prince". Archived from the original on 31 July 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "Hamdan bin Mohammed launches Hamdan bin Mohammed e-University". hamdan.ae. 1 February 2009.
- "Expo 2020: Dubai celebrates in style". Archived from the original on 23 December 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "Shaikh Hamdan waves UAE flag from top of Burj Khalifa - Khaleej Times". Khaleej Times. 28 November 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "Hamdan International Photography Award. He also has an airport named after him in the city of Dubai that is formally known as Dubai Al Maktoum International". artdubai.ae. Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- Iyer, Anita (3 January 2018). "Do you know who Sheikh Hamdan follows on Instagram?". Khaleej Times. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- "Dubai's Crown Prince Sheikh Hamdan Just Got Married". Harper's Bazaar Arabia. 16 May 2019.
- Wam (18 June 2015). "Mohammed, Hamdan at the second day of Royal Ascot". emirates247. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "LONGINES FEI WORLD ENDURANCE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2016 - SLOVAKIA WELCOMES RECORD 46 NATIONS". Fédération Équestre Internationale. 15 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed gets ready to retain World Equestrian Games title". The National. 17 September 2016.
- "Boletín Oficial del Estado" (PDF).
- "Hamdan receives Cannes Award for Education". hamdan.ae. 4 July 2009.