Great Britain at the 1968 Summer Paralympics
Great Britain was one of twenty-eight nations to send athletes to the 1968 Summer Paralympics in Tel Aviv, Israel from November 4 to 13, 1968. The team finished second in the medal table and won sixty-nine medals: twenty-nine gold, twenty silver and twenty bronze. Athletes from the whole United Kingdom, including Northern Ireland, were able to compete for the team. Seventy-five British athletes took part in the Games; fifty-one men and twenty-four women.
|Great Britain at the|
1968 Summer Paralympics
|NPC||British Paralympic Association|
|in Tel Aviv|
|Competitors||75 in 10 sports|
|Summer Paralympics appearances|
The Paralympics groups athletes' disabilities into one of five disability categories; amputation, the condition may be congenital or sustained through injury or illness; cerebral palsy; wheelchair athletes, there is often overlap between this and other categories; visual impairment, including blindness; Les autres, any physical disability that does not fall strictly under one of the other categories, for example dwarfism or multiple sclerosis. Each Paralympic sport then has its own classifications, dependent on the specific physical demands of competition. Events are given a code, made of numbers and letters, describing the type of event and classification of the athletes competing.
|Gold||Derek Nicholson||Archery||Men's St. Nicholas round cervical|
|Gold||Ruth Brooks||Archery||Women's St. Nicholas round cervical|
|Gold||Valerie Forder||Athletics||Women's 60m wheelchair B|
|Gold||Carol Bryant||Athletics||Women's 60m wheelchair C|
|Gold||Carol Bryant||Athletics||Women's slalom C|
|Gold||Valerie Forder||Athletics||Women's pentathlon complete|
|Gold||Margaret Gibbs||Athletics||Women's pentathlon incomplete|
|Lawn bowls||Men's pairs|
|Lawn bowls||Women's pairs|
|Gold||Gwen Buck||Lawn bowls||Women's singles|
|Gold||Michael Shelton||Snooker||Men's open|
|Gold||John Britton||Swimming||Men's 25m freestyle class 2 incomplete|
|Gold||David Ellis||Swimming||Men's 25m backstroke class 2 complete|
|Gold||David Ellis||Swimming||Men's 25m breaststroke class 2 complete|
|Gold||W. Thornton||Swimming||Men's 50m breaststroke class 3 complete|
|Gold||Valerie Forder||Swimming||Women's 50m freestyle class 3 complete|
|Gold||Davina Ingrams||Swimming||Women's 25m backstroke class 1 incomplete|
|Gold||Gwen Buck||Swimming||Women's 25m backstroke class 2 incomplete|
|Gold||Valerie Forder||Swimming||Women's 25m backstroke class 3 complete|
|Gold||Karen Hill||Swimming||Women's 50m backstroke class 3 incomplete|
|Gold||Bellamy||Swimming||Women's 50m backstroke class 5 (cauda equina)|
|Gold||Valerie Forder||Swimming||Women's 50m breaststroke class 3 complete|
|Gold||Bellamy||Swimming||Women's 50m breaststroke class 5 (cauda equina)|
|Gold||Margaret Gibbs||Swimming||Women's 3x25m individual medley open|
|Gold||Paul Lyall||Table tennis||Men's singles B|
|Table tennis||Men's doubles A2|
|Table tennis||Women's doubles C|
|Gold||T. Palmer||Weightlifting||Men's middleweight|
|Wheelchair fencing||Women's foil team|
|Archery||Men's albion round team open|
|Archery||Men's FITA round team open|
|Silver||Russ Scott||Athletics||Men's javelin throw D|
|Silver||Clark||Athletics||Men's pentathlon incomplete|
|Silver||Janet Swann||Athletics||Women's novices 60m wheelchair dash B|
|Silver||Maggie Marr||Athletics||Women's club throw A|
|Silver||Maggie Marr||Athletics||Women's discus throw A|
|Silver||John Britton||Lawn bowls||Men's singles|
|Silver||David Ellis||Swimming||Men's 25m freestyle class 2 complete|
|Silver||W. Thornton||Swimming||Men's 50m freestyle class 3 complete|
|Silver||John Watts||Swimming||Men's 100m freestyle open|
|Silver||A. West||Swimming||Men's 25m backstroke class 1 complete|
|Silver||Brian Dickinson||Swimming||Men's 50m backstroke class 4 complete|
|Silver||John Britton||Swimming||Men's 25m breaststroke class 2 incomplete|
|Silver||Carol Bryant||Swimming||Women's 100m breaststroke open|
|Table tennis||Men's doubles B|
|Silver||Carol Bryant||Table tennis||Women's singles C|
|Table tennis||Women's doubles A2|
|Table tennis||Women's doubles B|
|Silver||R. Rowe||Weightlifting||Men's heavyweight|
|Bronze||Stephen Bradshaw||Archery||Men's St. Nicholas round cervical|
|Bronze||Dick Thompson||Athletics||Men's 100m wheelchair A|
|Bronze||Dick Thompson||Athletics||Men's javelin throw A|
|Bronze||Tommy Taylor||Athletics||Men's pentathlon incomplete|
|Bronze||Carol Bryant||Athletics||Women's pentathlon incomplete|
|Bronze||A. West||Swimming||Men's 25m freestyle class 1 complete|
|Bronze||John Britton||Swimming||Men's 25m backstroke class 2 incomplete|
|Bronze||W. Thornton||Swimming||Men's 50m backstroke class 3 complete|
|Bronze||Gerry Kinsella||Swimming||Men's 50m backstroke class 4 incomplete|
|Bronze||Bellamy||Swimming||Women's 50m freestyle class 5 cauda equina|
|Bronze||Margaret Gibbs||Swimming||Women's 100m freestyle open|
|Bronze||S. Jones||Swimming||Women's 25m backstroke class 2 complete|
|Bronze||Women's team||Swimming||Women's 3x50m medley relay open|
|Bronze||George Monoghan||Table tennis||Men's singles B|
|Bronze||Susan Masham||Table tennis||Women's singles B|
|Table tennis||Women's doubles B|
|Bronze||Men's team||Wheelchair basketball||Men's tournament|
|Wheelchair fencing||Men's épée team|
|Wheelchair fencing||Men's foil team|
|Bronze||Sally Haynes||Wheelchair fencing||Women's foil individual|
The only dartchery event at the Games was the mixed pairs event which took a knockout format. Two British pairs entered the competition: Nicholson [n 1] and Taylor beat a team from Jamaica in the first round but lost in the second round to the Swiss pair; Robertson and Todd reached the third round where they lost to Italians Francesco Deiana and Raimondo Longhi.
One snooker event was contested at the Games, the men's open event. Keaton was eliminated in the first round by Jimmy Gibson of Ireland. Michael Shelton had wins over Goll, of Austria, and Newton from Australia to earn a place in the final against Gibson. Shelton defeated Gibson to take gold and the Irishman won the silver medal.
Twenty-nine British swimmers competed at the Games winning twenty-eight medals: thirteen gold, seven silver and eight bronze. Forder won three gold medals in women's 50 m class 3 complete events, finishing first in the backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle. Six other swimmers won multiple medals for Great Britain; Bellamy won two gold medals and a bronze in the women's class 5 (cauda equina); Britton, a gold, silver and bronze in men's class 2 incomplete events; Ellis, two golds and a silver in men's class 2 complete; Gibbs who won gold in the women's 3×25 m individual medley open and bronze in the 100 m freestyle open; Thornton who took a gold, silver and bronze in men's class 3 complete events; and West who won backstroke silver and freestyle bronze for men's class 1 complete events. Ingrams won gold in the women's 25 m backstroke class 1 incomplete in a world record time; White and Rosaleen Gallagher of Ireland won the silver and bronze medals in the event.
Twenty five British players entered table tennis events and won ten medals; three gold, 4 silver and four bronze. In the women's doubles C event Bryant and Barnard won the gold medal after beating pairs from the United States, Jamaica, Belgium and Australia.
- Data is taken from the International Paralympic Committee website and is based on information contained/sourced in the original hardcopy final results publications. Some information from earlier Paralympic Games (i.e. 1960–1984) is incomplete and is missing first names of some athletes
- "Participation Numbers Tel Aviv 1968 Paralympic Games". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Paralympic Games History – Summer". Australian Paralympic Committee. Archived from the original on 5 June 2011. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Medal Standings Tel Aviv 1968 Paralympic Games". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- "Paralympics categories explained". ABC. 3 September 2008. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Making sense of the categories". BBC Sport. 6 October 2000. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "A-Z of Paralympic classification". BBC Sport. 28 August 2008. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Results Tel Aviv 1968 Paralympic Games Dartchery Mixed Pairs open". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Results Tel Aviv 1968 Paralympic Games Snooker Men's Snooker Event open". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Athlete Search Results". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Results Tel Aviv 1968 Paralympic Games Swimming Women's 50 m Breaststroke class 3 complete". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Results Tel Aviv 1968 Paralympic Games Swimming Women's 50 m Freestyle class 3 complete". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Results Tel Aviv 1968 Paralympic Games Swimming Women's 50 m Backstroke class 3 complete". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Results Tel Aviv 1968 Paralympic Games Swimming Women's 25 m Backstroke class 1 incomplete". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Results Tel Aviv 1968 Paralympic Games Table Tennis Women's Doubles C". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 18 May 2011.