Gopi Shankar Madurai
Gopi Shankar Madurai (Tamil: கோபி ஷங்கர் மதுரை, born 13 April 1991) is an Indian equal rights and Indigenous rights activist. Shankar was one of the youngest, and the first openly intersex and genderqueer, candidates to contest in 2016 Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly election. Shankar is also the founder of Srishti Madurai Student Volunteer Collective.Shankar’s work inspired the Madras High Court (Madurai Bench) to direct the Government of Tamil Nadu to order a ban on sex reassignment surgeries on intersex children.In December 2017 Shankar was elected to the Executive board of ILGA Asia.
Gopi Shankar Madurai
Gopi Shankar Madurai at WorldPride Madrid Summit, Spain (June 2017)
|Education||American College, Madurai|
|Occupation||Writer, Speaker, Equal Rights Activist|
|Awards||The Commonwealth Nations Youth Worker Award 2016, HCR Queen's Young Leader Award 2017.|
Shankar was born as Sarvapunya in Sellur slum at Madurai, Tamil Nadu. At the age of fourteen, Shankar started volunteering Ramakrishna Mission. Later Shankar was accepted as a probationer for being a monk at Ramakrishna Math. On 2005, Shankar was given spiritual initiation under the spiritual lineage of Swami Vivekananda by Swami Gitanandaji (Former Vice-president of Ramakrishna Math and Mission) who is also a disciple of Swami Virajananda. During Shankar's tenure in Ramakrishna Math, Shankar served as the assistant to the editor of Sri Ramakrishna Vijayam Magazine. On April 2010 Shankar left Ramakrishna Math to pursue Religion, Philosophy, and Sociology studies at The American College in Madurai (affiliated to Madurai Kamaraj University). Gopi is a student of Yoga for more than 15 years and served as Yoga Instructor for 5 years. Shankar taught Yoga for free to more than 5000 children and Indian Philosophy class for many westerners including Tony MacMahon of Ireland. Shankar partly freelanced the New Horizon Media Pvt Ltd (Tamil Publications). Shankar was awarded a Leadership Degree "Leading Change" exclusively for The Queen's Young Leaders from the University of Cambridge on 2017.
Shankar is founder of Srishti Madurai Volunteer Movement one of the first inclusive non-funded pro bono group of its kind which has involved academicians, Independent scholars, human rights activist, environmentalists, animal rights activists and LGBTQIA, genderqueer activists aiming to protect the Indigenous traditions. On October 2011 Shankar launched India's first helpline for genderqueer, LGBTQIA people at Madurai. Later in June 2013 the helpline turned to offer service for 24 hours with a tagline Just having someone understanding to talk to can save a life. Shankar also organized Asia's first Genderqueer Pride Parade at Madurai. Shankar also introduced LGBTQIA courses in few schools and universities curciculam Shankar was also a young panelist to share chair in University Grants Commission of India (UGC) and Indian Council of Social Sciences Research (ICSSR) sponsored National Seminars in India, Shankar conducted more than 85 Seminars, Interactive sessions on Gender & Sexuality for 8000 students in Madurai. Shankar coined the regional Tamil terms for genderqueer people and wrote Maraikkappatta Pakkangal the first book on Gender-Variants in Tamil. On April 2015, Shankar was invited by Tiruchi Siva to witness the passing of historical Rights of Transgender Persons Bill, 2014 at Rajya Sabha upper house of the Parliament of India. For contributions as a gender minority to Hinduism, Shankar was presented "Young Hindu Award" by writer Aravindan Neelakandan, Joe D Cruz at 6th Hindu Spiritual Services Fair.
Shankar petitioned the case of Asian Games medalist Santhi Soundarajan who was stripped off her medal after a gender test to the State and Central Government. Shankar launched multiple complaints on behalf of athlete Santhi in National Commission for Scheduled Castes and National Human Rights Commission of India also initiated Justice For Santhi Campaign which was instrumental in fetching her a permanent posting as athletic coach in Tamil Nadu Sports Development Authority on December 2016.
Shankar was a speaker at WorldPride Madrid Summit 2017. Shankar shared chair with Federico Mayor Zaragoza Director-General of UNESCO, Myrna Cunningham of United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues and Zanele Muholi (Artivist) for the historic MADRID SUMMIT DECLARATION.
The State Council of Educational Research and Training under Government of Tamil Nadu has called Shankar to give inputs on Sex, Gender and Sexuality studies for the 2017 New School Curriculum Development Committee of Tamil Nadu to include LGBTQIA+ community in school studies. Shankar was also part of the panel on Theological Reader on Gender & Sexuality for National Council of Churches in India.
Shankar is one of the core committee members of Intersex Asia, it is the Asia's first collective forum for Intersex Individuals and organisations,the first state policy briefing on Intersex Human Rights was organised by Shankar on July 2019.
Shankar through Srishti Madurai helpline rescued several trans women from forced sex work and begging. Shankar also mentors the Transgender India forum India's first 24x7 holistic help and support discussion forum for intersex and transgender people, as well as their families.
Shankar and trans woman S. Swapna staged a protest in Madurai collectorate on 7 October 2013 demanding reservation and to permit alternate genders to appear for examinations conducted by TNPSC, UPSC, SSC and Bank Exams. Later, Swapna successfully moved the Madras High Court in 2013 seeking permission to write the TNPSC Group II exam as a ‘woman’ candidate.
In 2016 Shankar was sexually, verbally harassed and received death threats from a member of one of the political parties during Shankar's campaign, then the Tamil Nadu Police assigned Shankar with three security officers whenever Shankar is out campaigning. Shankar also expressed dismay on homophobia and transphobia in Tamil Muslim community when the youth wing of the Indian National League, a Muslim party, Calling LGBTQIA+ people as "cultural terrorists", the poster calls for the "death sentence under section 377" and warns of terror against the community as homosexuality is "against Tamil culture" was put up by a day after 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting in the United States.
Protection for intersex people in IndiaEdit
On 2015 Shankar urged Indian parliament to include intersex people in bill protecting trans rights, Shankar also launched an official complaint to National Human Rights Commission of India to ban the forced sex selective surgeries on intersex infants also to ensure their fundamental constitutional rights in India for which the NHRC issued directions to the Secretary Union Health Ministry Government of India to respond Shankar within 8 weeks.
On 22 April 2019 the Madras High Court (Madurai Bench) passed a landmark judgment and issued direction to ban Sex-Selective Surgeries on Intersex Infants based on the works of Gopi Shankar, the Court took note of the issue of the rampant practice of compulsory sex reassignment surgeries performed on inter-sex infants and children. The Court also expressed its gratitude to Shankar, noting that Shankar's work has had been a humbling and enlightening experience for the Court
Awards and accoladesEdit
Shankar was also awarded the Diversity Leadership Award 2016 by the World HRD Congress  and featured in ‘India’s 8 LGBT role models under 30’ by Gaysi for voicing intersex rights in India.Out Leadership recommended Gopi Shankar as one of the expert and openly advocating leaders on LGBT+ issues along with Indian Minister Arun Jaitley and human rights activist Anjali GopalanIndia Times listed Shankar as one of the 11 Human Rights Activists Whose Life Mission Is To Provide Others With A Dignified Life
- Chanakya Award 2018 - Vision India Foundation 
- The Commonwealth Youth Worker Finalist 2016 - The Commonwealth Secretariat, London.
- Highly Commended Runner Queen's Young Leader 2017 - Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust, in partnership with Comic Relief and the Royal Commonwealth Society.
- 16 Inspiring LGBTQIA people in the World 2017 - Vagabomb,(ScoopWhoop Media)
- Youth of the Year 2016 - Neeya Naana, Star Vijay TV
- Great People of Great Madurai - Radio Mirchi Award 2016
- Young Hindu Award 2014 - Tamil Hindu Team, Chennai
- Star Speaker Award 2013 - PPK Show, Star Vijay TV
- Star Speaker Award 2012 - PPK Show, Star Vijay TV
|2016||The Commonwealth Youth Worker Award||The Commonwealth, London||Awarded for using arts and sports as a social tool to empower young people with positive alternate space |
|2017||Highly Commended Runner Queen's Young Leader Award 2017 ||Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust, in partnership with Comic Relief and the Royal Commonwealth Society.||Recognised as agent of change for the remarkable work done by Shankar in LGBTQIA community.|
Singer Chinmayi produced a three part YouTube video series with Shankar to support Intersex Human Rights in Tamil Nadu
- Maraikappatta Pakkangal (Hidden Pages) Unedited Version, Illustrator Julian Wrangler, Germany, Srishti Madurai., 2014, ISBN 9781500380939.
- Maraikkappatta Pakkangal: Paal - Paalinam - Paaliyal Orunginaivu- Gopi Shankar (Edited Version), 296 Pages, ISBN 9789386737328, Publisher: Kizhakku Pathippagam, 2017.
- "Gopi Shankar Madurai". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Profile of Speakers: Gopi Shankar Madurai at Madrid Summit 2017" – via www.worldpridemadrid2017, Spain.
- "Intersex person to contest from Madurai North". 30 April 2016 – via The Hindu.
- Menon, Priya (22 April 2016). "3rd gender gets a new champion in Tamil Nadu poll ring". Times of India.
- "Meet and Understand The First Genderqueer Candidate in Indian Politics". bodahub.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "This intersex person is contesting TN polls, 'ze' wants to change your mind on sexual minorities - The News Minute". 24 April 2016.
- "One Who Fights For an Other". The New Indian Express.
- "Start with education system for change, says intersex activist- The Indian Express". Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "ILGA Asia Executive Board". Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Is the LGBTQ+ movement an elitist club?". DNA. 14 January 2018. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "Intersex activist Gopi Shankar Madurai to speak at ILGA Asia regional conference in Cambodia". The Times of India. 29 November 2017. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "In Conversation With Gopi Shankar Madurai, The Intersex Activist Who Is Changing Lives And Gender Politics In India". Gaysi. 30 October 2017. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "Queen's Young Leader Award 2017". Queens Young Leaders. Retrieved 29 May 2017.
- "Genderqueers seek recognition-Madurai News - Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "24-hour helpline launched for LGBTs in Madurai | Madurai News - Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Voices unheard - Madurai - The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "South India city of Madurai celebrates LGBT (and more) Pride". gaystarnews.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Madurai comes out of the closet - The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Making gender flexible - The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Making themselves heard - Madurai - The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "A Tamil book on gender identities, sexual orientations". The Hindu. 14 January 2018. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- Menon, Priya (13 January 2018). "Book in Tamil sets things straight about LGBT community". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "BJP leader launches LGBT rights book in TN". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "No more under siege - The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Madurai student pens book on gender variants - Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "It's a great honour to be awarded for book on gender variants: Gopi Shankar - Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "INTERSEX RIGHTS AND MEDICAL VIOLENCE". WorldPride Madrid. 14 June 2017. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "Santhi Set To Fight For Justice Jan 03, 2017, 19:43 IST, Times Now". Timesnow.tv. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "Ministry of sports served notice on Santhi Soundarajan's complaint". espn.in. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Santhi's plea". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 21 December 2014.
- "Why We Should Join The Campaign Seeking Justice For Runner Shanthi Soundarajan". huffingtonpost.in. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Santhi set to rebuild life as official athletic coach - The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- Gopi Shankar Madurai. "Why India Must Not Fail Santhi Soundarajan". Swarajya. India. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- "Human rights body rejects Santhi Soundarajan's complaint, claims it's too late to accept it". The News Minute. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- "Worldwide gay rights as a social movement picks up". merinews.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Madurai gender rights activist to speak at Madrid". The Hindu. India. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "CLOSING: FUTURE ACHIEVEMENTS AND NEEDS TO BUILD A STRONG LGBTQIA+ MOVEMENT AROUND THE WORLD". WorldPride. Spain. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Bursting myths on gender". The Hindu, National. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
- "LGBTQIA Class for the Tamil Nadu Theological Seminary". TheNewsMinute, National. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- "Intersex Asia Network Launched". The Times of India. 20 February 2018. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Gopi Shankar to speak at 40th ILGA World Conference in New Zealand". The Times of India. 11 March 2019. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Policy Meeting on Intersex Rights to be held= The Times of India". 5 July 2019. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Transgenders escape flesh trade hub - Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Transgenders get their own portal - Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Transgenders protest demanding name change in certificates". The Times of India. 29 April 2014.
- "Transgenders stage protest at collectorate". The Times of India.
- "Intersex candidate alleges harassment – Times of India".
- "Muslim party in Tamil Nadu wants death sentence for gays, calls them 'cultural terrorists' – satyavijayi.com".
- "Madurai Muslim party wants death sentence for gays, calls them 'cultural terrorists'? – The News Minute".
- "India urged to include intersex people in bill protecting trans rights · PinkNews". pinknews.co.uk. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Activists say surgical 'correction' of intersex babies at birth wrong, govt doesn't listen | The News Minute". thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- NHRC, Case No: 2365/22/15/2016
- "Rights of transgender: Let me be 'me' -Governance Now". governancenow.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- ""Inter-sex people are not transgenders" - The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Why intersex folks need recognition - Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- ""Transwoman A 'Bride' Under Hindu Marriage Act": Madras HC; Also Bans Sex Re-Assignment Surgeries On Intersex Children [Read Judgment]". Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- ""Ban sex reassignment surgeries on intersex infants Madras High Court tells Tamil Nadu Govt" - The News Minute". Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Ruling on intersex infants: Madurai activist comes in for praise by High Court". Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Indian Court Decides In Favor of Informed Consent Rights for Intersex People - Human Rights Watch". Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Global HR Excellence Awards". World HRD Congress 2016.
- Gaysi. "LGBT Activists under 30". Gaysi Family.
- 2017 OUT LEADERSHIP REPORT. "Out Leadership India/" (PDF). outleadership.com.
- Anjali Bisaria. "11 Human Rights Activists Whose Life Mission Is To Provide Others With A Dignified Life/". Indiatimes.com.
- Vagabomb. "16 People from the LGBTQIA Community Who Are Inspiring Us Everyday". ScoopWhoop Media.
- "Gender activist Gopi Shankar on the struggles faced by the LGBTQIA community in India - The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Finalists of 2016 Commonwealth Youth Worker Awards announced | The Commonwealth". thecommonwealth.org. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Gender rights activist shortlisted for international award - Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Gopi Documentário". Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Global Shorts Program: Gopi". Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Dakshin Diaries chef Rakesh Raghunathan with Gopi in Madurai". Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Chef Rakesh Raghunathan traces South India beyond idli, dosa and medu vada". Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Meet the BJP leader who released a book on LGBT rights". The News Minute. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- Gopi Shankar M Interview on Indian Women Blog
- Gopi Shankar M on The history of Indigenous sex, gender minorities in India
- Gopi Shankar M Interview on The Better India
- Talk By Gopi Shankar Madurai on Gender Minorities of Ancient India, Transgender India
- Justice For Santhi Campaign- The Huffington Post
- Gopi Shankar on Youth Ki Awaaz
- The Many Genders of Old India- Gopi Shankar The Gay & Lesbian Review Worldwide, Boston