|Duke of Saxe-Altenburg|
|Born||24 July 1796|
|Died||3 August 1853 (aged 57)|
|Father||Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen|
|Mother||Duchess Charlotte Georgine of Mecklenburg-Strelitz|
He was the fourth but second surviving son of Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen (of Saxe-Altenburg from 1826) and Duchess Charlotte Georgine of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. He fought in the Austrian ranks against Napoleonic France in the 1813–1814 war.
Georg succeeded his brother Joseph as Duke of Saxe-Altenburg when he abdicated, in 1848.
Marriage and issueEdit
In Ludwigslust on 7 October 1825 Georg married with Duchess Marie Louise of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. She was a daughter of Frederick Louis, Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna of Russia.
They had three sons:
- Ernst I Frederick Paul Georg Nikolaus (b. Hildburghausen, 16 September 1826 – d. Altenburg, 7 February 1908); married Princess Agnes of Anhalt-Dessau.
- Albrecht Frederick August Bernhard Ludwig Anton Carl Gustav Eduard (b. Hildburghausen, 31 October 1827 – d. Ludwigslust, 28 May 1835).
- Moritz Franz Friedrich Constantin Alexander Heinrich August Carl Albrecht (b. Eisenberg, 24 October 1829 – d. Arco, Italy, 13 May 1907); married Princess Augusta of Saxe-Meiningen.
- Heinrich Ferdinand Schoeppl: Die Herzoge von Sachsen-Altenburg. (Das Herzogliche Haus von Sachsen-Altenburg; Bd. 1). Altenburger Verlag, Altenburg 1992 (Nachdr. d. Ausg. Bozen 1917).
- Rudolf Armin Human: Chronik der Stadt Hildburghausen. Verlag Frankenschwelle, Hildburghausen 1999, ISBN 3-86180-082-9 (Nachdr. d. Ausg. Hildburghausen 1886).