Prince Moritz of Saxe-Altenburg
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Prince Moritz of Saxe-Altenburg (24 October 1829 in Eisenberg – 13 May 1907 in Arco, Austria-Hungary), was a member of the ducal house of Saxe-Altenburg. He was the father of Ernst II, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg.
|Prince Moritz of Saxe-Altenburg|
|Born||24 October 1829|
|Died||13 May 1907 (aged 77)|
Arco, Tirol, Austria-Hungary
|Issue||Marie Anne, Princess of Schaumburg-Lippe|
Grand Duchess Elizabeth Mavrikievna of Russia
Ernst II, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg
Louise Charlotte, Princess Edward of Anhalt
|House||House of Wettin|
|Father||Georg, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg|
|Mother||Duchess Marie Louise of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
He was the third but second surviving son of Georg, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg and Duchess Marie Louise of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (daughter of Frederick Louis, Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and his first wife Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna of Russia).
Marriage and issueEdit
|Princess Marie Anne||14 March 1864||3 May 1918||married on 16 April 1882 to Prince Georg of Schaumburg-Lippe.|
|Princess Elisabeth Augusta Marie Agnes||25 January 1865||24 March 1927||married on 27 April 1884 to Grand Duke Konstantin Konstantinovich of Russia; [upon her marriage, she took the name Elizaveta Mavrikievna in a Russian Orthodox baptism]|
|Princess Margarethe Marie Agnes Adelaide Karoline Fredericka||22 May 1867||17 June 1882|
|Ernst II, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg||31 August 1871||22 March 1955||married Princess Adelaide of Schaumburg-Lippe|
|Princess Louise Charlotte of Saxe-Altenburg||11 August 1873||14 April 1953||married on 6 February 1895 to Eduard, Duke of Anhalt; they divorced on 26 January 1918, shortly before he died.|
He received the following orders and decorations:
- Ernestine duchies: Grand Cross of the Saxe-Ernestine House Order, November 1847
- Kingdom of Prussia:
- Mecklenburg: Grand Cross of the Wendish Crown, with Crown in Ore
- Kingdom of Saxony: Knight of the Rue Crown, 1848
- Kingdom of Hanover:
- Oldenburg: Grand Cross of the Order of Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig, with Golden Crown, 9 February 1852
- Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach: Grand Cross of the White Falcon, 4 February 1851
- Ascanian duchies: Grand Cross of Albert the Bear, 28 April 1853
- Cross of Honour of the House Order of Lippe, 1st Class
- Red Cross Medal, 1st Class
- Kingdom of Greece: Grand Cross of the Redeemer
- Russian Empire: Knight of St. Andrew
- Brunswick: Grand Cross of the Henry the Lion
Moritzstraße in Altenburg is named after the Prince.
- Staatshandbücher für das Herzogtum Sachsen-Altenburg (1902), "Genealogie des Herzoglichen Hauses" pp. 3-4
- Staatshandbücher für das Herzogtum Sachsen-Altenburg (1855), "Herzogliche Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden" p. 19
- Sachsen (1866). Staatshandbuch für den Freistaat Sachsen: 1865/66. Heinrich. p. 4.
- Staat Hannover (1865). Hof- und Staatshandbuch für das Königreich Hannover: 1865. Berenberg. p. 77.
- Hof- und Staatshandbuch des Großherzogtums Oldenburg: 1879. Schulze. 1879. p. 32.
- Staatshandbuch für das Großherzogtum Sachsen / Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach (1855), "Großherzogliche Hausorden" p. 9
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Herzogtum Anhalt (1867) "Herzoglicher Haus-orden Albrecht des Bären" p. 17