|Member of the Senate|
15 March 2013 – 22 March 2018
|Member of the European Parliament|
|Mayor of Milan|
12 May 1997 – 1 June 2006
|Preceded by||Marco Formentini|
|Succeeded by||Letizia Moratti|
|Born||6 July 1950|
|Political party||FI (1997–2009)|
|Alma mater||University of Milan|
In 1974 he Graduated in Law from the University of Milan. He was the Manager of Albertini Cesare Spa, a company working in the aluminium pressure die casting sector, from 1974 to 1997. In 1987 he became a delegate for small business on the executive board of Federmeccanica (the Italian Mechanical Engineers' Trade Union Federation) and in 1996 he became its Chairman (until 1997).
In 1997 he was elected Mayor of Milan, with the support of the centre-right coalition, and held office until 2006.
In the 2004 European election and in the subsequent 2009 EP election he was elected MEP. He was a member of the European People's Party's group, and sat on the European Parliament's Committee on Transport and Tourism. He was also a delegate on the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy, Vice-Chair of the Delegation for Relations at NATO's Parliamentary Assembly and a member of the EU's Delegation for Relations with the United States.
- Order of Friendship of the Russian Federation
- Grand Cordon of the Order of Independence of the Kingdom of Jordan
- Officer of the Legion of Honour of the French Republic
- Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Norwegian Order of Merit
- Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
- Grand Officer of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus
- Silver Cross of Merit of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem
- Grand Officer of the Order pro Merito Melitensi of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta
- Commander of Merit of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
- Honorary Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
- Grand Officer of the Order of Prince Henry (31 January 2005)
- "Honorary Knighthoods Awarded 1997-2006".
- "ENTIDADES ESTRANGEIRAS AGRACIADAS COM ORDENS PORTUGUESAS - Página Oficial das Ordens Honoríficas Portuguesas". www.ordens.presidencia.pt. Retrieved 2019-08-16.