Friendswood is a city in the U.S. state of Texas. It is part of the Houston–The Woodlands–Sugar Land metropolitan area. The city lies in Galveston and Harris counties. As of the 2010 census, the population of Friendswood was 35,805.
|Counties||Galveston and Harris|
|• Type||Council manager|
|• City Council||Mayor Mike Foreman |
|• City manager||Morad Kabiri|
|• Total||20.9 sq mi (54.1 km2)|
|• Land||20.7 sq mi (53.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||31 ft (9 m)|
|• Density||1,700/sq mi (660/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1336252|
In 2007, CNN/Money Magazine listed Friendswood as one of 100 "America's Best Places to Live" for that year, making it one of 900 small towns recognized since the rankings first began in 2005.
Friendswood was founded in 1895 by members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Friendswood is located at (29.512532, -95.197933).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city covers a total area of 20.9 square miles (54.1 km2), of which 20.7 square miles (53.7 km2) is land area and 0.15 square miles (0.4 km2), or 0.69%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 29,037 people, 10,107 households, and 8,085 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,381.2 people per square mile (533.4/km²). There were 10,405 housing units at an average density of 495.0 per square mile (191.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 90.09% White, 2.70% African American, 0.40% Native American, 2.39% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 2.79% from other races, and 1.63% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.79% of the population.
There were 10,107 households out of which 43.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.5% were married couples living together, 8.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.0% were non-families. 17.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.85 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the city, the population was spread out with 30.0% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 25.7% from 45 to 64, and 8.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 93.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.4 males.
In 2010, the mean income for a household was $115,439 and the mean income for a family was $128,898. Males had a median income of $67,084 versus $35,447 for females. The per capita income for the city was $39,515. About 2.3% of families and 3.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.4% of those under age 18 and 3.8% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructureEdit
The Friendswood Post Office is located at 310 Morningside Drive. Some locations in the City of Houston have Friendswood mailing addresses. NASA astronaut Michael Foreman was elected mayor in 2018.
Primary and secondary schoolsEdit
Students in Friendswood attend schools in either Friendswood Independent School District (FISD) if they live south of Clear Creek (Galveston County), or Clear Creek Independent School District (CCISD) if they live north of Clear Creek (Harris County). The CCISD portion is within the Board of Trustees District 4, represented by Stuart J. Stromeyer as of 2008.
Cline Elementary School, Westwood Elementary School, Bales Intermediate School, and Windsong Intermediate School serve the Friendswood ISD portion of Friendswood. All Friendswood ISD residents are zoned to Friendswood Junior High School and Friendswood High School.
Clear Creek ISD students from Friendswood attend Wedgewood Elementary School in Friendswood, and Brookside Intermediate School in Friendswood. Most residents of CCISD Friendswood are zoned to Clear Brook High School in unincorporated Harris County, while some residents of CCISD Friendswood are zoned to Clear Springs High School in League City.
Students who live in the area around Friendswood but are in unincorporated Harris County with address listed as Friendswood or Webster attend Greene Elementary School or Landolt Elementary School in unincorporated Harris County for elementary schools. For middle school they are zoned to Westbrook Intermediate School in Houston.
The Friendswood Public Library at 416 South Friendswood Drive serves Friendswood.
- Katie Rose Clarke - Broadway actor, famous for the roles of Clara in Light in the Piazza, Glinda in Wicked, and Hannah in Allegiance
- Greg Bonnen - neurosurgeon and Republican member of the Texas House of Representatives from Friendswood
- Penny Edwards - actress known for many western films; died in Friendswood
- Joseph Gutheinz – attorney and investigator of stolen and missing moon rocks
- Booker T and spouse Sharmell Sullivan-Huffman – professional wrestling personalities
- Balor Moore - former MLB pitcher resides in Friendswood
- Ronnie Price – NBA basketball player
- Robin Coleman - actress / American Gladiator Hellga / 2001 World's Strongest Woman (bronze)
- Ryan Sitton - Republican nominee for the Texas Railroad Commission in the November 4, 2014 general election
- Steve Stockman – departing Republican member of the United States House of Representatives; unsuccessful candidate for the U.S. Senate in the 2014 primary election, convicted felon
- Bruce Prichard - former producer for WWE and co-host of Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard
- Bill McArthur - retired United States Army colonel and NASA astronaut and a veteran of three Space Shuttle missions and one expedition to the International Space Station via the Russian Soyuz capsule
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Friendswood has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
The 2014 novel Friendswood, set in the area, was written by René Steinke.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Friendswood city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Best Places to Live 2007: Friendswood." CNN/Money. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Friendswood city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "FRIENDSWOOD." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on April 24, 2018. "310 MORNINGSIDE DR FRIENDSWOOD, TX 77546-9998"
- "City of Houston Annexation FAQ". City of Houston. 1996-10-31. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
Numerous residents of the City of Houston have Missouri City, Webster, Friendswood, Stafford, Humble and even Kingwood addresses.
- "Friendswood Election Results: Mike Foreman wins mayoral race; Rockey re-elected". Community Impact Newspaper. 2018-05-06. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "SN_81.pdf" (Archive). Retrieved on March 31, 2014.
- "Contact Us." Baybrook Mall. Retrieved on March 31, 2014. "Mall Location 500 Baybrook Mall Friendswood, Texas 77546"
- "Comprehensive Land Use Plan Archived February 27, 2009, at the Wayback Machine." City of Friendswood. Accessed September 28, 2008.
- District 4 Map Archived February 27, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- "School Board Members: Bios and Contact Information Archived December 5, 2008, at the Wayback Machine." Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- Wedgewood Elementary attendance zone. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- "Brookside Intermediate attendance zone. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- Clear Brook High boundary. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- Clear Springs High boundary. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- Greene Elementary attendance zone. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- Landolt Elementary attendance zone. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- Westbrook Intermediate attendance zone. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- "Welcome to the Friendswood Public Library." Friendswood Public Library. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- Climate Summary for Friendswood, Texas