Francisco Montero (footballer, born 1999)
Francisco Javier Montero Rubio (born 14 January 1999) is a Spanish footballer who plays for Turkish club Beşiktaş J.K. on loan from Atlético Madrid. Mainly a central defender, he can also play as a left back.
|Full name||Francisco Javier Montero Rubio|
|Date of birth||14 January 1999|
|Place of birth||Seville, Spain|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
(on loan from Atlético Madrid)
|2018–||Atlético Madrid B||17||(0)|
|2019–2020||→ Deportivo La Coruña (loan)||30||(0)|
|2020–||→ Beşiktaş (loan)||9||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 January 2021|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 10 October 2019
Born in Seville, Andalusia, Montero joined Atlético Madrid's youth setup in 2014 at the age of 15, from hometown club AD Nervión. In 2018, after finishing his development, he was called up to the first team by manager Diego Simeone for the pre-season, playing with protective glasses due to an eye injury suffered back in 2017.
Montero made his senior debut with the reserves on 23 September 2018, starting in a 4–2 Segunda División B away win against CDA Navalcarnero. He first appeared with the main squad on 30 October, playing the full 90 minutes in a 1–0 away defeat of UE Sant Andreu in the round of 32 of the Copa del Rey.
Montero's first UEFA Champions League match occurred on 6 November 2018, when he came on as a half-time substitute for injured José Giménez in a 2–0 home victory over Borussia Dortmund in the group stage. He completed a trio of debuts four days later, when he started and was replaced by Gelson Martins early into the second half of an eventual 3–2 La Liga win against Athletic Bilbao also at the Metropolitano Stadium.
On 2 September 2019, Montero renewed his contract until 2024, and was immediately loaned to Segunda División side Deportivo de La Coruña for the season. He started in all his appearances but one during his spell in Galicia, but his side suffered relegation from Segunda División.
- "Acta del partido celebrado el 18 de mayo de 2019, en Valencia" [Minutes of the match held on 18 May 2019, in Valencia] (in Spanish). Royal Spanish Football Federation. 18 May 2019. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- Suárez, Isaac (27 July 2018). "Montero: Unas gafas que esconden al futuro central del Atlético" [Montero: Glasses who hide the future stopper of Atlético]. Marca (in Spanish). Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Montero, central con gafas que convence" [Montero, bespectacled stopper who convinces]. Sport (in Spanish). 27 July 2018. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "El Atlético B remonta en Navalcarnero para lograr su primer triunfo" [Atlético B come from behind in Navalcarnero to achieve their first triumph]. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 23 September 2018. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Cazón, Patricia (30 October 2018). "Primero Gelson, luego el susto" [First Gelson, then the scare]. Diario AS (in Spanish). Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Pérez, Gorka (6 November 2018). "El Atlético le devuelve el golpe al Borussia Dortmund" [Atlético return blow to Borussia Dortmund]. El País (in Spanish). Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Dufour, Iñaki (10 November 2018). "3–2. Godín y el gol del cojo remontan al Athletic" [3–2. Godín and the lame's goal come from behind against Athletic]. La Vanguardia (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- "Montero amplía su contrato hasta 2024" [Montero extends his contract until 2024] (in Spanish). Atlético Madrid. 2 September 2019. Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "Acuerdo con el Deportivo de La Coruña para la cesión de Montero" [Agreement with Deportivo de La Coruña for the loan of Montero] (in Spanish). Atlético Madrid. 2 September 2019. Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "Montero, cerca de irse al fútbol turco" [Montero, close to going to Turkish football]. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 28 August 2020. Retrieved 24 September 2020.
- "Francisco Montero, Beşiktaş'ta" [Francisco Montero to Beşiktaş] (in Turkish). Beşiktaş J.K. 2 September 2020. Retrieved 2 September 2020.