Francis I, Duke of Nevers
|Duke of Nevers |
Count of Eu
Count of Rethel
Francis I of Cleves, Duke of Nevers (by François Clouet)
|Born||2 September 1516|
|Died||13 February 1561(aged 44)|
|Noble family||La Marck|
|Spouse(s)||Marguerite of Bourbon-La Marche|
|Father||Charles II, Count of Nevers|
|Mother||Marie d'Albret, Countess of Rethel|
The only son of Charles II of Nevers (died in the Louvre in 1521) and Marie d'Albret, Countess of Rethel, Francis succeeded his father as Count of Nevers and Eu. In 1539, he became Duke of Nevers. When his mother died in 1549, he also inherited the title of Count of Rethel.
- Francis II, Duke of Nevers (1540–1562), 2nd Duke; married Anne de Bourbon, daughter of Louis, Duke of Montpensier, no issue.
- Henriette of Cleves (1542–1601); married Louis Gonzaga, Duke of Nevers, and became 4th Duchess of Nevers after the death of her brothers.
- James, Duke of Nevers (1544–1564), 3rd Duke, married Diane de la Marck
- Catherine of Cleves (1548–1633); married Antoine III of Croy and Henry I, Duke of Guise.
- Marie of Cleves (1553–1574); married Henri I de Bourbon, prince de Condé.
- Antonetti, Guy (2000). "Les Princes Etrangers". In Bardet, Jean-Pierre (ed.). Etat et société en France aux XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles (in French). Presses l'Universite de Paris-Sorbonne.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Boltanski, Ariane (2006). Les ducs de Nevers et l'État royal: genèse d'un compromis (ca 1550 - ca 1600) (in French). Librairie Droz.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Potter, David (1990). "Marriage and Cruelty among the Protestant Nobility in Sixteenth-Century France: Diane de Barbançon and Jean de Rohan, 1561-7". European History Quarterly. Volume: 20 issue: January 1: 5-38.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Potter, David (1995). Keen, Maurice (ed.). A History of France, 1460–1560: The Emergence of a Nation State. Macmillan.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
Francis I, Duke of NeversBorn: 2 September 1516 Died: 1 February 1561
| Count of Nevers
Francis II (1561–1562)
Henriette of Cleves (1564–1601)