Erftstadt (German pronunciation: [ˈɛʁftˌʃtat] (listen)) is a town located about 20 km south-west of Cologne in the Rhein-Erft-Kreis, state of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The name of the town derives from the river which flows through it, the Erft. Carl Schurz, a German revolutionary, American statesman and reformer, and Union Army General in the American Civil War was born in Erftstadt-Liblar on March 2, 1829, as was Joseph Kentenich, a Catholic Priest of the Pallottine order and founder of the Schoenstatt Movement, on 16 November 1885. He is also remembered as a thinker, theologian, and educator. The town includes the castle "Schloss Gracht" It was built by Graf von Metternich, who also built the St. Alban church. In Erftstadt are four further schools: two Gymnasiums and two Realschulen. The largest gymnasium is the Ville-Gymnasium-Erftstadt, also known as VGE. Erftstadt is next to a forest called Ville. The neighbouring towns are: Brühl, Kerpen, Zülpich and Weilerswist.
|• Mayor (2020–25)||Carolin Weitzel (CDU)|
|• Total||119.88 km2 (46.29 sq mi)|
|Elevation||100 m (300 ft)|
|• Density||420/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
Twin towns – sister citiesEdit
Wards of ErftstadtEdit
The town of Erftstadt consists of the following 14 Stadtbezirke:
Most of the town administration is in Liblar, the most populous Stadtbezirk. The second-most populous Stadtbezirk is Lechenich.
- Carl Schurz (1829–1906), politician and first German-born cabinet secretary (Secretary of the Interior 1877–1881) in the US
- Jean Bungartz (1854–1934), animal artist, specialist author, photographer, breeder, lived from 1886 to 1913 in Lechenich
- Josef Kentenich (1885–1968), founder of the Schoenstatt Apostolic Movement
- Bernd Alois Zimmermann (1918–1970), composer, born in Bliesheim
- Hennes Weisweiler (1919–1983), football coach, born in Lechenich
- Manfred Donike (1933–1995), cyclist, chemist and well-known doping investigator
- Manfred Donike (1960–2003), cyclist and functionary
- Wahlergebnisse in NRW Kommunalwahlen 2020, Land Nordrhein-Westfalen, accessed 29 June 2021.
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden Nordrhein-Westfalens am 31. Dezember 2020" (in German). Landesbetrieb Information und Technik NRW. Retrieved 21 June 2021.
- "Death toll rises above 100 in German floods — as it happened | DW | 17.07.2021".
- "Städtepartnerschaften". erftstadt.de (in German). Erftstadt. Retrieved 2019-11-30.