Elevation 2001: Live from Boston
Elevation 2001: Live from Boston is a concert film by Irish rock band U2. It was released as a two-disc DVD by Island Records in the United Kingdom on 26 November 2001, and by Interscope Records in the United States a month later. The video documents three concerts by the band performed in Boston during the first American leg of their 2001 Elevation Tour. It was the first of two video releases from the tour, the second being U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle, Ireland.
|Elevation 2001: Live from Boston|
|Released||26 November 2001|
|Recorded||5, 6, 9 June 2001 at Fleet Center in Boston|
Elevation 2001 has received certifications in several regions including Mexico, where it was certified gold based on imports alone, and the United States, where it became the band's best-selling video album.
The first disc contains the concert footage shot in the normal perspective, while the second disc contains alternate camera feeds from a small recorder in lead vocalist Bono's trademark glasses, showing unique footage from the band while on and off stage. Several bonus features were also included on both discs.
Background and filmingEdit
This section does not cite any sources. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
U2 started their 2001 Elevation Tour on 24 March at the National Car Rental Center in Fort Lauderdale, Florida with the final concert held at the American Airlines Arena in Miami on 2 December. The tour was divided into three legs, two in North America and one in Europe, and also included two concerts at Slane Castle—one of which was documented and released on U2 Go Home.
Two "Easter Eggs" are also included on the DVD, these are the Bono Cam views of "Until the End of the World" and "Elevation" from June 9, 2001 in Boston. In fact the whole DVD/VHS although labelled as being from June 6, is actually mixed footage from June 5 and 6, with additional Bono cam footage from June 9. The concerts were filmed by Hamish Hamilton and produced by Ned O'Hanlon. Both of the two mentioned have worked with U2 on several other occasions including U2 Go Home and Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago.
Elevation 2001: Live From Boston captures the band's return to performing to indoor venues, making for a more intimate experience. The band had played mostly large outdoor stadiums over the previous decade on their Zoo TV and PopMart Tours.
The film also showcases a more simplified, strip-downed stage design, free of the elaborate technologies of the previous two tours. The DVD features the concert in the PCM Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio formats.
- "Beautiful Day"
- "Until the End of the World"
- "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"
- "New York"
- "I Will Follow"
- "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
- "In a Little While"
- "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)"
- "Bad" / "40" (snippet)
- "Where the Streets Have No Name"
- "Bullet the Blue Sky"
- "With or Without You"
- "The Fly"
- "Wake Up Dead Man"
- "Walk On"
- Disc 1:
- The Making of the Filming of "Elevation 2001: Live from Boston"
- Easter egg No. 1 – To access the Easter egg, click the "Making of the Filming of". Fast forward to the end and look for the Dreamchaser logo in the credits. At the top of the logo, you will see a little Bono head. Click on it as quickly as possible. Next, you will see a screen with flashing cubes. Enter the following: "1 enter, 9 enter, 7 enter, 6 enter" while the cubes are flashing to access the special BonoCam feature for the first 4 minutes of "Elevation". Also the audio during this is straight from Bono's ear monitor.
- Disc 2:
- Another Perspective – Concert with alternative angles: fan cam, director cam
- Road Movie – Time-lapse footage of a day on the road
- Additional tracks
- Easter egg No. 2 – To access the Easter egg, go to the help menu (the question mark in the bottom left). When in the help menu you enter "1 enter 9 enter 9 enter 1 enter" and you see "Until the end of the world" from the BonoCam.
Best Buy promo CDEdit
On Black Friday in 2001, Best Buy distributed a free exclusive promo CD entitled 3 Live Tracks from Boston. It features three songs from the Elevation 2001: Live from Boston DVD. The CD lists all performances as being from the concert on 6 June 2001; however, "Gone" was actually recorded on 5 June.
- "Beautiful Day" – 4:56
- "Gone" – 5:05
- "I Will Follow" – 5:34
Charts and certificationsEdit
- "U2: Elevation 2001 – Live from Boston [2 Discs]". Allmovie. Rovi Corporation. Archived from the original on 19 July 2012. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- "Certification Search Results" (PHP). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas (in Spanish). Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- "Gold & Platinum Searchable Database" (PHP). Recording Industry Association of America. Search for U2 under Artist Name in the Advanced Search section and select Video Longform.
- :: U2 Discography – Three Tracks Live from Boston Promo Single – U2 Wanderer.org ::
- "The ARIA Report (Issue 616)" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association. Pandora Archive. p. 20. Archived from the original on 21 February 2002. Retrieved 19 August 2011.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Musik DVD Top-10: Uge 49 – 2001" (ASP). Hitlisten (in Danish). IFPI Denmark. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- "Top 20 DVD, Week Ending 6 December 2001" (JSP). GfK Chart-Track. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- "Sverigetopplistan". Sverigetopplistan (in Swedish). Archived from the original on 2015-12-26. Search for U2 and click Sök.
- "Argentinian video certifications – U2 – Elevation Tour 2001". Argentine Chamber of Phonograms and Videograms Producers.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2004 DVDs". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Austrian video certifications – U2 – Elevation Tour 2001-Live" (in German). IFPI Austria.
- "Brazilian video certifications – U2 – Elevation 2001: Live from Boston" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian video certifications – U2 – Elevation 2001 Tour: Live at Boston". Music Canada.
- "French video certifications – U2 – Elevation 2001: Live from Boston" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (U2; 'Elevation 2001')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.