Ed de Goey
Eduard Franciscus "Ed" de Goeij (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈeːdyɑrt frɑnˈsɪskʏs ɛd də ɣui], anglicised to de Goey; born 20 December 1966) is a Dutch former football goalkeeper. In a 20-year career, he played for Sparta Rotterdam, Feyenoord, Chelsea and Stoke City.
|Full name||Eduard Franciscus de Goeij|
|Date of birth||20 December 1966|
|Place of birth||Gouda, Netherlands|
|Height||1.98 m (6 ft 6 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
He signed for Feyenoord in 1990 and stayed there for seven years. During his time in Rotterdam, De Goey missed a total of just eight games and won one Eredivisie title (in 1993) and four KNVB Cups in 1991, 1992, 1994 and 1995. He was awarded the Dutch Golden Shoe in 1994.
De Goey joined Chelsea in June 1997 from Feyenoord for £2,250,000. He was first choice goalkeeper for most of his time in West London, and was a member of the sides that won the League Cup, the Cup Winners' Cup (both in 1998) and the FA Cup in 2000. In 1999-00 he set club records for most appearances (59) and clean sheets (27) during a season, both since surpassed by Frank Lampard and Petr Čech respectively. De Goey later lost his place in the side to Italian Carlo Cudicini and made just 25 appearances in his final three seasons. He was released by Chelsea in May 2003.
He joined Stoke City in August 2003 and became the club's first choice goalkeeper for the 2003–04 season where he made 38 appearances. He faced competition with Steve Simonsen in 2004–05 and made 17 appearances before losing his place completely in 2005–06 and was released at the end of the season.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other[A]||Total|
|Stoke City||2003–04||First Division||37||0||0||0||1||0||—||38||0|
- FA Cup: 1999–2000
- FA Charity Shield: 2000
- Football League Cup: 1997–98
- UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1997–98
- UEFA Super Cup: 1998
- "Chelsea release duo". BBC Sport. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Stoke sign De Goey". BBC Sport. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Goalkeeper De Goey leaves Stoke". BBC Sport. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- Ed de Goey at the English National Football Archive (subscription required)
- "Ed de Goey". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman.
- Netherlands – Player of the Year and Other Awards Archived 17 March 2015 at the Wayback Machine, RSSSF.com