"Easy Lover" is a song performed by Philip Bailey, of Earth, Wind & Fire, and Phil Collins of Genesis and jointly written and composed by Bailey, Collins, and Nathan East (BMI adds Stacey Dove Daniels, Danny Ray Nixon and Olivia Pamela Roshell as co-owners of the rights). The song appeared on Bailey's solo album Chinese Wall. Collins has performed the song in his live concerts and it appears on both his 1990 album Serious Hits... Live! and his 1998 compilation album, ...Hits.
Front cover of US 12-inch vinyl single
|Single by Philip Bailey and Phil Collins|
|from the album Chinese Wall|
|Philip Bailey singles chronology|
|Phil Collins singles chronology|
Front cover of UK 7-inch vinyl single
The song was a No. 1 hit in several countries worldwide, including Canada, the Netherlands, Ireland, and the United Kingdom. In the U.S., it reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 on 2 February 1985, kept out of the top spot by "I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner. In the UK Singles Chart, it reached No. 1, staying there for four weeks. The single was certified gold in the UK. The single sold over a million copies in the U.S. and was certified gold, as the RIAA requirement for a platinum single disc was not lowered to one million units until 1989. In addition, "Easy Lover" has been certified gold by the British Phonographic Industry for sales of over 400,000 in the UK and platinum in Canada by Music Canada.
The single did not receive a local release in Australia due to a dispute between Bailey's record company, CBS, and Collins' record company, WEA. As a result, it was only available through imports from New Zealand, which is the reason for its poor showing on the Australian charts.
In 1984, Phil Collins was hired as the producer for Philip Bailey's solo album Chinese Wall. According to Collins, Bailey approached him at the end of the sessions for the album and asked him to write a song together. In "Phil Collins: My Life In 15 Songs," a 2016 interview he gave to Rolling Stone Magazine, Collins said of the song: "So we just started having a jam one night, and went round and round and turned it into a verse and a chorus. We recorded it that night so we wouldn't forget it. That song doesn't sound like any particular era. It's just fantastic." According to the Official Sheet Music, the Song is in the key of F Minor and has a Tempo of 105 BPM.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||74|
|Austrian Singles Chart||18|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||4|
|Canada (The Record)||1|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||1|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||2|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||5|
|French Singles Chart||14|
|German Singles Chart||5|
|Oricon Japanese Weekly Singles Chart||19|
|Oricon Japanese International Chart||1|
|New Zealand Top 50 ||2|
|South Africa (Springbok Radio)||6|
|Swedish Singles Chart||10|
|Swiss Singles Chart||8|
|UK Singles Chart||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||2|
|U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary||15|
|U.S. Billboard Top Rock Tracks||5|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Black Singles||3|
|U.S. Cash Box Top 100 ||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||12|
|US Cash Box||7|
- "BPI > Certified Awards > Search results for Phil Collins (page 3)". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 447. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - March 29, 2014". RIAA. Archived from the original on 2014-05-10. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Rock Music, etc., Terms". spider.georgetowncollege.edu. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
-  Archived January 6, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- "Music Canada : Gold Platinum Database". Musiccanada.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-30. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "MTV Video Music Awards History: Best Overall Performance". Rock On The Net. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Grammy Awards: Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Group or Duo". Rock On The Net. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Final track listing for Mimicry and Memories". Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Phil Collins: My Life in 15 Songs". Rolling Stone.
- "Phil Collins "Easy Lover" Sheet Music in F Minor". Musicnotes.com.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (Illustrated ed.). St. Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 71. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. N.B. the Kent Report chart was licensed by ARIA between mid 1983 and 19 June 1988.
- "Ultratop.be – Philip Bailey with Phil Collins – Easy Lover" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- Lwin, Nanda. Top 40 Hits: The Essential Chart Guide (2000). Mississauga, Ont.: Music Data Canada
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 4, 1985" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40 Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Philip Bailey with Phil Collins – Easy Lover" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- Nyman, Jake (2005). Suomi soi 4: Suuri suomalainen listakirja (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 951-31-2503-3.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Easy Lover". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Indice per Interprete: C". Hit Parade Italia. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- "SA Charts 1965–March 1989". Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- [Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-2002]
- http://18.104.22.168/archives/80s_files/19850209.html[permanent dead link]
- "Top 100 Singles". Music Week. London, England: Spotlight Publications. 24 January 1987. p. 24.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1985/Top 100 Songs of 1985". www.musicoutfitters.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-08-09.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)