Dorin Chirtoacă ([doˈrin kirˈto̯akə] ; born 9 August 1978 in Colonița) is a Moldovan politician, Mayor of Chișinău from June 2007 to February 2018, First Deputy Chairman of Liberal Party since 2010, and previously a Deputy Chairman since 2005.
Dorin Chirtoacă in 2009
|Mayor of Chișinău|
18 June 2007 – 16 February 2018
Suspended since 28 July 2017.
|Preceded by||Veaceslav Iordan (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Nistor Grozavu (acting)|
|Born||9 August 1978|
Colonița, Moldavian SSR, USSR
|Political party||Liberal Party|
|Spouse(s)||Anișoara Loghin (2016)|
|Relations||Gheorghe Ghimpu (uncle) |
Mihai Ghimpu (uncle)
|Alma mater||University of Bucharest|
His mother is Valentina, sister of Gheorghe Ghimpu and Mihai Ghimpu. During high school, he studied in Iași and graduated in 2001 from University of Bucharest Faculty of Law. Between 2001 and 2003, Chirtoacă worked for Surprize, Surprize ("Surprises, Surprises"), a show broadcast on TVR1. Then he worked for the Helsinki Committee for Human Rights in Moldova (2003–2005) as Program Coordinator.
Dorin Chirtoacă has been the vice-president of the Liberal Party of Moldova since May 2005. Due to low turnout, the 2005 Chișinău election was invalidated, but he became the mayor of Chişinău in 2007. He defeated his Communist Party Veaceslav Iordan opponent in the 2007 municipal elections, which resulted in a clear victory for a loose anti-communist coalition in the city of Chișinău (61.17%). He was considered to be the most important opponent of the communists in the April 2009 election and July 2009 election.
Chirtoacă won reelection as mayor of Chișinău in June 2011, narrowly defeating the candidate from the Communist Party of the Republic of Moldova, Igor Dodon. He received 50.6% of the votes to Dodon's 49.4%.
For the June 2015 Chișinău mayoral election, Chirtoacă registered on the last day. In the first tour, Chirtoacă received 37.52%, to Zinaida Greceanîi's (from PSRM) 35.68%. The two participated on 28 June 2015 in the second tour, Chirtoacă receiving 53.54% of votes and winning his third consecutive mandate of mayor of Chișinău.
On 13 September 2016, an attempt to organize a referendum to dismiss Chirtoacă from the post of mayor of Chișinău failed in the Chișinău municipal Council.
On 25 May 2017, Chirtoacă was arrested by anti-corruption prosecutors and National Anti-Corruption Center (CNA) officers, together with seven other employees of the Chișinău mayoralty, in the file of paid parking, being suspected of the traffic of influence. On 26 May, he was placed under home arrest for 30 days. On 22 June, his home arrest warrant was prolonged for 25 days, and then on 14 July for another 25 days.
On 28 July 2017, Chirtoacă was suspended from the office of the mayor of Chișinău until a final sentence in his case was issued, on the basis of a decision of Buiucani sector of Chișinău Court. His home arrest warrant was prolonged again with 30 days on 10 August, and then again on 11 September 2017. On 12 September 2017, the Chișinău municipal Council decided that on 19 November 2017 a referendum for Chirtoacă's dismissal would be held.
According to the polls made in 2019 concerningo the most appreciated Moldovan politicians, Dorin Chirtoaca is positioned eleventh among the top of politicians which Moldovans have the highest trust and in another opinion poll it was positioned on the thirteenth position.
Dorin Chirtoacă is the nephew of the Gheorghe and Mihai Ghimpu brothers, two Moldovan politicians and important figures in the national rebirth movement of the Moldovans in the late 1980s - early 1990s.
Before the June 2015 Chișinău mayoral election, Chirtoacă stated that he would marry if he won the third mayor mandate. When this happened, on 31 August 2015, in the holiday of Romanian language, Chirtoacă asked the ProTV Chișinău journalist Anișoara Loghin to marry him, on the holiday stage in Great National Assembly Square, receiving an affirmative answer. On 20 May 2016 the couple married. During a press conference held on 6 December 2016, Chirtoacă has announced that they formally are divorced.
Chirtoacă speaks Romanian - native, French - advanced, English - advanced, Russian - advanced, and German - beginner.
- UNIMEDIA. "Dorin Chirtoacă - Personalități - UNIMEDIA".
- "Dorin Chirtoaca (PL) [05.06.2011 – 46.51%, 19.06.2011 – 50.6%] / Elections 2011". www.e-democracy.md.
- Biografie Archived March 13, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- Radio Free Europe, Belarus, Ukraine, and Moldova Report: June 28, 2007
- CEC a anunțat rezultatele finala la Chișinău, "Moldova Azi", (accessed 21 June 2011).
- Ultima zi le va aduce noroc? Dorin Chirtoaca si Monica Babuc au depus actele pentru functia de primar general - VIDEO
- "Tentativa eșuata! Decizia de a..." Realitatea.md. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "Dorin Chirtoacă părăsește Primăria însoțit de ofițerii CNA". Ziarul de Gardă. 25 May 2017. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "Chisinau general mayor placed under home arrest for 30 days". moldpres.md. 26 May 2017. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- PUBLIKA.MD (22 June 2017). "Primarul Dorin Chirtoacă, ÎN AREST LA DOMICILIU pentru 25 de zile. Ce spun procurorii".
- "Dorin Chirtoacă a primit încă 25 de zile de arest la domiciliu: Este o răzbunare pentru acţiunile mele anticorupţie".
- "Dorin Chirtoaca was suspended from office". crimemoldova.com.
- "Încă 30 de zile de arest la domiciliu pentru Dorin Chirtoacă". UNIMEDIA.
- Dorin Chirtoacă rămâne în arest la domiciliu încă 30 de zile!
- Referendumul pentru demiterea lui Dorin Chirtoacă va avea loc pe 19 noiembrie
- "Sondaj: Cine sunt politicienii în care moldovenii au cea mai mare încredere", stiri.md, retrieved 13 February 2019
- "Sondaj BOP: Cei mai apreciați politicieni din Republica Moldova", UNIMEDIA, retrieved 13 February 2019
- "GALERIE FOTO Dorin Chirtoacă, naș de botez al nepoatei lui Traian Băsescu. Primarul Chișinăului i-a dăruit finei sale o ie". adevarul.ro. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- de Anca SIMINA (30 November 2013). "Botez în familia Băsescu. Nașul Chirtoacă: "E un gest simbolic de unire ceea ce se petrece astăzi". Galerie foto - Gandul". Gandul.info. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "BREAKING NEWS: Dorin Chirtoaca a cerut-o in casatorie pe Anisoara Loghin. Prezentatoarea Pro TV a spus "DA!" - GALERIE FOTO".
- "Primarul Chisinaului s-a casatorit cu jurnalista Anisoara Loghin, de la PRO TV Chisinau. Masina cu care a venit edilul".
- "(galerie foto) Nunta lui Dorin Chirtoacă și a Anișoarei Loghin în 100 de imagini". UNIMEDIA.
- Chirtoacă e din nou burlac. Primarul Capitalei şi Anişoara Loghin au divorţat oficial
- "Dorin CHIRTOACĂ, Prim-vicepreședinte al PL | Partidul Liberal". Pl.md. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dorin Chirtoacă.|
- (Jurnal de Chișinău) Dorin Chirtoacă: „Se dorește ca Primăria să ajungă într-un blocaj financiar”
- Moscova incepe să atace noul primar de la Chișinău
- Chișinăul are primar liberal
- (Interlic) Dorin Chirtoacă: Cetățenii întregii republici demult au depășit clasa politică
- Results of parliamentary elections in Chisinau Municipality
- Dorin Chirtoacă: „Anexarea Basarabiei va fi reparată în UE”, 26 noiembrie 2009, George Rădulescu, Adevărul