Din Tai Fung
Din Tai Fung is a restaurant originating in Taiwan, specialising in xiaolongbao (steamed dumplings). Outside its native Taiwan, Din Tai Fung also has branches in Australia, Mainland China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, the United States, Thailand and UAE.
|Din Tai Fung|
Xiaolongbao made to order at the restaurant behind glass pane
Founder Yang Bingyi was born in Shanxi, China, but moved to Taiwan in 1948 as a result of the Chinese Civil War. After working 10 years at Heng Tai Fung (恆泰豐), a cooking oil retailer, he found himself unemployed when the store closed. Together with his Hakka wife, Lai Penmei, then founded Din Tai Fung (also a cooking oil retailer) in 1958. The name was a combination of his previous employer's company name "Heng Tai Fung" and his new supplier's company name "DinMei Oils".
Around 1970, tinned cooking oil became prevalent, and business diminished drastically. In order to survive, Yang and his wife turned over half the shop to making and selling steamed buns (Xiaolongbao) by hiring chefs from Shanghai where the Xiaolongbao is originally from. The buns were so popular that the store stopped selling oil altogether and became a full-fledged restaurant in 1972. The original restaurant is located on Xinyi Road in Taipei.
Din Tai Fung is known internationally for its xiaolongbao. It was named one of the top ten restaurants in the world by The New York Times on 17 January 1993. In November 2009, the restaurant's first Hong Kong branch at Tsim Sha Tsui, Silvercord Branch (新港店), was awarded one Michelin star by the Hong Kong and Macau 2010 edition of the Michelin Guide. In December 2010, the restaurant's second branch in Hong Kong at Causeway Bay, Yee Wo Branch (怡和店), was also recommended by the Michelin Guide, as well as Hong Kong's Silvercord Branch in 2013.
- "Din Tai Fung profits plunge 30%". Taipei Times. 24 Dec 2008. p. 11.
- "About us::Our chronology(P1)".
- Hsu, Allen (7 Dec 2007). "Soft diplomacy targets taste buds in Europe". Taiwan Today.
- "Din Tai Fung Dumpling House :: North America - About Us".
- "About us".
- "About us::Our history".
- Hom, Ken (17 January 1993). "Top-Notch Tables; Teipei, Taiwan". New York Times.
- "Taipei major shopping zone sets sights on Cambodia". Focus Taiwan News Channel. 8 July 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Affordable Dining in Hong Kong – Din Tai Fung". shescookin. Retrieved 15 September 2017.