This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Devaraj (born 20 September 1953) is an Indian actor and theatre actor who works in South Indian film industries. He has largely featured in Kannada films performing various roles as a lead character, supporting character and villainous character. He has also featured in Telugu and Tamil films.
|Other names||Devraj |
|Children||Prajwal Devaraj |
Having worked in over 200 feature films, Devaraj is popularly referred to as a "Dynamic Hero" in the Kannada film industry. Prior to acting in films, Devaraj performed in stage plays under the guidance of Shankar Nag and B. Jayashree. Devaraj has won several awards and accolades including the Karnataka State Film Award for Best Actor for his portrayal as the protagonist in the film Veerappan in 1991.
Devaraj was born on 20 September 1953 to Ramachandrappa and Krishnamma in Lingarajpuram, a locality in Bangalore, in the erstwhile Mysore State (now Karnataka). His father worked in ITC Factory, Welfare department. Devaraj lost his father when he was 3 months old as he was suffering from malaria. In 1976 due to his family's financial problems Devaraj decided to work in HMT Watch factory, Case & Dial Section, where he worked for 9 years, and it was suggested he should act in dramas by his senior colleague HMT Govindaraju. Firstly Devaraj joined R.Nagesh's theatre group, Later he joined B. Jayashree's theatre group SPANDANA and later on with Shankar Nag's SANKET. His film debut was as a supporting actor in 'Trishula'. He continued to appear as a supporting actor, then acted in leading roles.
Devaraj auditioned for Trishula with Avinash, both of whom were part of a same theatre troupe. Both got through the auditions and the film was his debut as an actor. However, the film did not release. His first released film was 27 Mavalli Circle in 1986. After the success of 27 Mavalli Circle Devaraj acted in many more films mainly in supporting roles. His notable performances include: His First Hero Leading Role In Hatyakanda In 1990. Upnext Aaganthuka, Navabharatha, Indrajith among others.
After the year 2000, Devaraj switched over to character roles and debuted in Tamil and Telugu film industries. He worked in highly acclaimed films such as Malaikottai and Villu in Tamil and Yagnam, Sri in Telugu.
In 1986, Devaraj married actress Chandralekha, whom he had met on the sets of his film Sikku. Following this, they appeared together in the 1992 film Kendada Male. After their marriage, Chandralekha quit acting. They have two sons, Prajwal and Pranam. Both sons are active in the Kannada film industry, with Prajwal having established himself as a lead actor.
|Sl. No.||Year||Movie Name||Additional Details|
|2||1986 -||27 Mavalli Circle|
|4||1987 -||Aaganthuka||Winner Karnataka State Film Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|5||1987 -||Anthima Theerpu|
|8||1987||Dance Raja Dance|
|13||1988||Sambhavami Yuge Yuge|
|15||1988||Elu Suttina Kote|
|23||1988||Nee Nanna Daiva|
|24||1988||Meenakshi Mane Meshtru|
|39||1990||S. P. Sangliyana Part 2|
|51||1991||Ide Police Belt|
|53||1991||S. P. Bhargavi|
|54||1991||Veerappan||Winner Karnataka State Film Award for Best Actor|
|78||1993||Hosa Love Story|
|107||1997||Sangliyana Part 3|
|138||2003||Ay Naan Bhishma Kano|
|139||2003||Yaardo Duddu Yellammana Jathre|
|147||2004||Avale Nanna Gelathi|
|162||2009||IPC Section 300|
|182||2016||Nithya Jothe Sathya|
|187||2016||Santhu Straight Forward|
|188||2016||Sundaranga Jaana||Panduranga Rao|
|192||2017||Once More Kaurava|
2019 Geetha hero's father
|197||2019||Yajamana||Gurikar Huliyappa Nayaka|
- 20va Shatabdam (1990)
- Prema Yuddham (1990)
- Neti Siddhartha (1990)
- Yerra Mandaram (1991)
- Bangaru Bullodu (1993)
- S. P. Parasuram (1994)
- Anna (1994 film) (1994)
- Samarasimha Reddy (1999)
- Yagnam (2004)
- Sri (2005)
- Raam (2006)
- Yogi (2007)
- Evadaithe Nakenti (2007)
- Lakshyam (2007)
- Bharat Ane Nenu (2018)
- Nina C George. "Long-lasting love". Deccanherald. Archived from the original on 26 August 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Devaraj. Weekend with Ramesh Season 2 - Episode 7 - January 16, 2016 - Full Episode. Zee Kannada. ozee.com. Event occurs at 3:38. Archived from the original on 28 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Friday Review Bangalore : Hero, villain, two in one". The Hindu. 23 June 2006. Archived from the original on 23 February 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Welcome to". Sify.com. Archived from the original on 7 April 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Weekend with Ramesh Season 2 Episode 7 - 16 January, 2016". www.zee5.com. Zee Digital. Archived from the original on 11 October 2020. Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- Devaraj (28 October 2014). Nam Kathe Nim Jyothe - Episode - 3 - 5.4.14. India: Zee Kannada. Archived from the original on 9 March 2016. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Devaraj". IMDb.com. Archived from the original on 4 January 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Sharadhaa, A (7 October 2014). "Devraj Brothers Share Screen Space". Archived from the original on 16 December 2014. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- R, Shajini S (4 March 2018). "Mahesh Babu starrer 'Bharat Ane Nenu's' interval bang to be a major highlight". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 27 July 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2018.