Deeper Christian Life Ministry
Deeper Christian Life Ministry is a Pentecostal Christian denomination with its international headquarters, Deeper Life Bible Church Lagos in Lagos. It is overseen by the General Superintendent of Deeper Life Bible Church, Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi.
|Deeper Life Bible Church|
|Headquarters||Lagos, Lagos State, Nigeria|
|Founder||William F. Kumuyi|
In 1973, while serving as a Mathematics Lecturer at the University of Lagos, W.F. Kumuyi started a Bible study group with 15 university students who had come to him requesting training in the Scriptures. The church started as the Deeper Christian Life Ministry. William Folorunso Kumuyi, was a former Anglican who joined the Apostolic Faith Church after being baptised. In 1975, he was expelled from the church for preaching without credentials. He continued his independent ministry, which in 1982 became the Deeper Life Bible Church. By the early 1980s that small group had grown to several thousand, at which time Deeper Life Bible Church was formally established. The church has spread throughout sub-Saharan Africa and then to the United Kingdom, from where branches were developed in western Europe, Russia, India, and North America.
In 2020, the Lagos Church had 65,000 people.
- Anderson, Allan (2001). African reformation: African initiated Christianity in the 20th century. Africa Research & Publications. pp. 172–173. ISBN 0-86543-884-6.
- Neumann, Mikel (1999). Home Groups for Urban Cultures: Biblical Small Group Ministry on Five Continents. William Carey Library. p. 9. ISBN 0-87808-281-6.
- Okoro, Luke (24 October 2009). "Timely Intervention". AllAfrica.com. AllAfrica Global Media. Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- Goodenough, Patrick (4 January 2012). "Terrorists Warn Christians to Leave Nigeria's Muslim North". Cybercast News Service. Virginia, USA. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- Eyoboka, Sam (10 October 2009). "Refreshing Times at Deeper Life as Kumuyi Launches Satellite TV, Relaxes Stringent Marriage Conditions". AllAfrica.com. AllAfrica Global Media. Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- Souter, Janet (25 January 2003). "Deeper Life Bible Church to start offering suburban services Living faith". Daily Herald. Arlington Heights, Illinois, USA. p. 2. Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- Laurent Fourchard, André Mary et René Otayek, "Entreprises religieuses transnationales en Afrique de l'Ouest", Karthala Editions, France, 2005, page 254
- J. Gordon Melton and Martin Baumann, Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices, ABC-CLIO, USA, 2010, page 876
- Korieh, Chima Jacob (2005). Religion, history, and politics in Nigeria: essays in honor of Ogbu U. Kalu. University Press of America. p. 242. ISBN 0-7618-3139-8.
- Idowu, Samuel O.; Filho, Walter Leal. Global Practices of Corporate Social Responsibility. Springer Publishing. p. 426. ISBN 9783540688129.
- Ugbodaga, Kazeem (24 April 2018). "Deeper Life unveils billion naira headquarters". PM News. Retrieved 7 December 2018.
- Yemi Adebisi, Deeper Life New Auditorium: Demonstration Of Unlimited God, independent.ng, Nigeria, April 29
- Warren Bird, World megachurches, leadnet.org, USA, retrieved February 15, 2020
- Deeper Life Bible Church, WHAT WE BELIEVE, dclm.org, Nigeria, retrieved March 7, 2020