Croatian Parliament electoral districts
Croatia has 12 electoral districts. Ten of these are geographical districts within Croatia, each providing 14 members of Croatian Parliament. District XI is for Croatian citizens living abroad, with 3 members of parliament (until 2011, it elected a maximum 12 members of parliament, depending on turnout). District XII is for national minorities, providing 8 members of parliament.
The first ten districts are roughly based on geography, but shaped according to the number of voters so that each district holds roughly the same amount of registered voters, around 400,000. These districts therefore do not correspond to the borders of top administrative divisions within Croatia and each district contains one or more or parts of several Croatian counties.
These districts have been in place since the Law on Electoral Districts of 1999.
In December 2010, the Constitutional Court of Croatia ruled that an update to the layout of electoral districts was necessary, as the differences in the number of voters among the districts, limited by law to 5%, had grown to 25%. In April 2011 the parliament discussed a proposal to the effect, but no change was made in time for the 2011 elections.
- Croatian Parliament. "Zakon o izbornim jedinicama za izbor zastupnika u Zastupnički dom Hrvatskoga državnog sabora". Narodne novine (in Croatian) (116/99). Archived from the original on 2010-07-08. Retrieved 2010-01-11.
- "(Ne)odgovornost Hrvatskog sabora, Vlade i Ustavnog suda: izbori neustavni i nezakoniti?" (in Croatian). GONG. 2011-10-17. Archived from the original on 2011-12-08. Retrieved 2011-12-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ustavni sud Saboru: Do 11. ožujka promijenite izborne jedinice" [Constitutional Court to Parliament: Change electoral districts by 11 March]. Večernji list (in Croatian). 2010-12-08. Retrieved 2011-12-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Objavljujemo detaljnu kartu novih izbornih jedinica!" [We are publishing a detailed map of new electoral districts!]. Večernji list (in Croatian). 2011-04-07. Retrieved 2011-12-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ništa od prekrojenih izbornih jedinica, na glasovanje po starom!" [No redrawn electoral districts, voting as last time!]. Večernji list (in Croatian). 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2011-12-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Constitutional Court of the Republic of Croatia, Notification No. U-X-6472/2010 of 8 december 2010 on the unequal weight of votes in the constituencies defined by articles 2 to 11 of the Act on Constituencies for the Election of Members of the House of Representatives of the Croatian National Parliament