Chandrani Murmu (born 16 June 1993) is an Indian politician. She was elected to the Lok Sabha, lower house of the Parliament of India from Keonjhar, Odisha in the 2019 Indian general election as a member of the Biju Janata Dal. Chandrani Murmu is currently the youngest Indian Member of Parliament.
|Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha|
|Assumed office |
23 May 2019
|Preceded by||Sakuntala Laguri|
|Born||16 June 1993|
Ludhiana, Punjab, India
|Political party||Biju Janata Dal|
Murmu won against BJP's Ananta Nayak, who has previously won twice, by a margin of 66,203 votes. She succeeded Sakuntala Laguri to win the election from Keonjhar for the BJD once again. The youngest MP in the 16th Lok Sabha was Dushyant Chautala representing the Indian National Lok Dal from Hisar in Haryana.
Early and personal lifeEdit
Chandrani Murmu was born on 16 June 1993 to Sanjiv Murmu, a government employee and Urbashi Soren, daughter of former MP Hariharan Soren (who won from Keonjhar on behalf of the Congress in 1980 and 1984). Murmu completed her degree in Mechanical Engineering from Siksha 'O' Anusandhan University, Bhubaneswar, in 2017. She had been preparing for competitive exams when she was approached by the BJD, through her maternal uncle Harmohan Soren, to contest from the constituency of Keonjhar. Being a reserved tribal constituency, the BJD was looking for an educated woman to contest from here.
Some discrepancies were found in her father’s name, which the BJP brought up with the Chief Electoral Officer. She was also the victim of an obscene video featuring a morphed image of hers which was circulated on social media.
- "Keonjhar Lok Sabha Election Results 2019". The Indian Express. 24 May 2019. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "Meet 25-year-old Chandrani Murmu, the youngest Member of Parliament". India Today. 26 May 2019. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "Youngest MP, Odisha's Chandrani Murmu of BJD, set to make her debut in Parliament". Times Now. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Sahani, Alaka (22 April 2019). "Chandrani Murmu, BJD's 25-year-old candidate: 'No woman should be subjected to such humiliation'". The Indian Express. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "Meet the youngest member of parliament - Chandrani Murmu from Odisha". Business Today. Retrieved 28 May 2019.