Central Texas is a region in the U.S. state of Texas surrounding Austin and roughly bordered by San Saba to Bryan and San Marcos to Hillsboro. Central Texas overlaps with and includes part of the Texas Hill Country and corresponds to a physiographic section designation within the Edwards Plateau, in a geographic context.
Hamilton Pool Preserve - one of the many lush areas in Central Texas
Central Texas counties in red; counties sometimes included in Central Texas in pink
Central Texas includes the Austin–Round Rock, Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, Bryan–College Station, and Waco metropolitan areas. The Austin–Round Rock and Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood areas are among the fastest-growing metropolitan areas in the state. Some of the largest cities in the region are Austin, College Station, Killeen, Round Rock, and Waco. The largest U.S. Army installation in the country, Fort Hood, is located near Killeen.
Counties (in pink) that are sometimes included in the Central Texas region are:
- "Water Resources NSDI Node". USGS. Retrieved July 15, 2009.
- "Counties, cities and towns in Central Texas". County Maps of Texas. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Bastrop County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- "A Vision For Central Texas" (PDF). Envision Central Texas. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 14, 2009. Retrieved July 16, 2009.
- "Texas In Focus: Central Texas - Demographics". Texas Window on State Government. Archived from the original on July 6, 2009. Retrieved July 15, 2009.
- Blanco County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Burnet County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Gillespie County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Hays County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- TCMA Region 7 Archived April 1, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Texas State Classification Office Archived January 25, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- Lee County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Travis County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- "Burleson County, Texas". Archived from the original on February 9, 2009. Retrieved July 15, 2009.
Burleson County is the best kept secret in Central Texas!
- Caldwell County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Barkley, Mary Starr (1970). A History of Central Texas. Austin, Texas: Austin Printing.
- Fredericksburg, Texas Chamber of Commerce
- "Celebrate Diversity in Central Texas." Austin American-Statesman.