Breeders' Cup Turf
The Breeders' Cup Turf is a Weight for Age Thoroughbred horse race on turf for three-year-olds and up. It is held annually at a different racetrack in the United States or Canada as part of the Breeders' Cup World Championships. The race's current title sponsor is Longines.
|Grade I race|
|Website||Breeders' Cup Turf|
|Distance||1 1⁄2 miles|
|Qualification||3-year-olds and up|
4-year-olds & up: 126 lb (57.2 kg)
Northern Hemisphere 3-year-olds: 122 lb (55.3 kg)
Southern Hemisphere 3-year-olds: 117 lb (53.1 kg)
The forerunner for this race was the Washington, D.C. International Stakes at Laurel Park Racecourse. Inaugurated in 1952, it was raced on turf at 1 1⁄2 miles and drew the best horses from North America and Europe. A winner of this race was the American legend Kelso, albeit on his fourth attempt, after being second three times in a row.
Beginning in 2007, the Breeders' Cup developed the "Breeders' Cup Challenge" a series of races in each division that allotted automatic qualifying bids to winners of defined races. Each of the thirteen divisions has between two and twelve of these "Win and You're In" qualifying races.
In the Breeders' Cup Turf Division, runners are limited to 14 with up to eleven automatic berths. Note though that one horse may win multiple challenge races, while other challenge winners will not be entered in the Breeders' Cup for a variety of reasons such as injury or travel considerations.
The 2019 "Win and You're In" races are:
- the Gran Premio Internacional Carlos Pellegrini, a Grade 1 race run in December at Hipódromo de San Isidro in Argentina
- the Grande Prêmio Brasil, a Grade 1 race run in June at Hipódromo da Gávea in Brazil
- the Prince of Wales's Stakes, a Group I race run in June at Royal Ascot in England
- the Takarazuka Kinen, a Grade 1 race run in June at Hanshin Racecourse in Japan
- the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes, a Group 1 race run in July at Ascot Racecourse in England
- the Arlington Million, a Grade 1 race run in August at Arlington Park in Illinois
- the Del Mar Handicap, a Grade 2 race run in August at Del Mar Racetrack in California
- the Sword Dancer Invitational, a Grade 1 race run in August at Saratoga Race Course in upstate New York
- the Jockey Club Derby, a new stakes race run in September at Belmont Park in New York
- the Irish Champion Stakes, a Group 1 race run in September at Leopardstown Racecourse in Ireland
- the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, a Group 1 race run in October at Longchamps in France
Most wins by a jockey:
- 5 - Frankie Dettori (1999, 2001, 2006, 2010, 2018)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 6 - Aidan O'Brien (2002, 2003, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016)
Most wins by an owner:
† Indicates filly/mare