Mickaël Barzalona (At Hanshin Racecourse)
|Born||3 August 1991|
|Major racing wins|
|Dubai World Cup, Epsom Derby, St. Leger|
|Encke, Monterosso, Pour Moi|
In June 2011, Barzalona rode Pour Moi to win the 2011 Epsom Derby at Epsom, performing a remarkable in-race move from last place to 1st over the final straight, winning by a head. He judged the finish to perfection, causing much comment by standing in his stirrups and celebrating before the race had finished. It provided an iconic image for the 2011 Derby. Less than 2 weeks later, Barzelona rode a good race to take 16-1 underdog, Opinion Poll to 2nd place in the Gold Cup at Ascot behind odds-on favourite and defending champion, Fame and Glory.
- Prix Ganay - (1) - Cloth of Stars (2017)
- Prix Jean-Luc Lagardère - (1) - Ultra (2015)
- Prix Jean Prat - (2) - Havana Gold (2013), Territories (2015)
- Prix Saint-Alary - (1) - Wavering (2011)
- Epsom Derby - (1) - Pour Moi (2011)
- Fillies' Mile - (1) - Certify (2012)
- St. Leger - (1) - Encke (2012)
- Premio Roma - (1) - Zazou (2011)
- Dubai World Cup – (1) – Monterosso (2012)
- Al Maktoum Challenge, Round 3 – (2) – Long River (2017), Capezzano (2019)
- Breeders' Cup Turf - (1) - Talismanic (2017)
- "Epsom: Pour Moi triumphs in thrilling Derby". BBC Sport. 4 June 2011. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- "Mickael Barzalona and Joseph O'Brien prove youth can triumph over experience". Daily Telegraph. 4 June 2011. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
|This French horse racing biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|