This article may be confusing or unclear to readers. (March 2020)
|Region of origin||China |
Another surname, 柏, meaning the tree cypress. This one is the 37th name on the Hundred Family Surnames poem. Since 柏 is a character with two readings, it is often mistakenly read as "Bó".In modern Chinese, the proper way to pronounce it as a surname is "Bǎi".
Bai and other variants were ranked 79th within the list of common Chinese surnames in 2006, down from 70th in 1990.
- a surname used by the Mongols.
- a surname used by the Manchus of Irgen Gioro and Bayara Gioro
- during the ancient Tang Dynasty in modern-day Yunnan, the Bai people used the surname Bai after their tribe name
- a surname used by the ancient Donghu people.
- a surname used by the ancient people in KuZu (QiuCi 龟兹）. KuZu is an ancient country located in current XinJiang province of China.
- Bai An (白安, 1991-), Taiwanese singer, Manchus
- Bai Chongxi (白崇禧, 1893–1966), Chinese Muslim general of the Republic of China
- Bai Chong'en, 白重恩 Chinese economist
- Pai Hsiao-yen (白曉燕, 1980–1997), Taiwanese teenage idol and victim of a fatal kidnapping
- Pai Hsien-yung (白先勇, 1937-), Chinese Muslim writer
- Bai Jie (白洁, 1972-), Chinese female footballer
- Bai Jing (白静, 1983-2012), Chinese actress
- Bai Juyi (白居易, 772-846), Tang Dynasty poet
- Pai Kun-Hong (白昆弘, 1970-), Taiwanese baseball player
- Bai Ling (白灵, 1966-), Chinese-born American actress
- Bai Qi (白起, died 257 BC), Qin general of the Warring States Period
- Bai Renfu (白仁甫, 1226–1306), Yuan Dynasty playwright
- Bai Shouyi (白寿彝, 1909–2000) (Arabic name: Djamal al-Din Bai Shouyi) Chinese Muslim historian
- Bai Shuxiang (白淑湘, born 1939), Chinese ballet dancer
- Lou Pai (白露龍, 1947-), Chinese-American businessman and former Enron executive
- Bai Wenqi (白文奇, born 1955), Lieutenant general of the PLA Air Force
- Bai Chunli (白春礼, born 1953), Chinese physical chemist and nanoscientist, President of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Peter Pek, chief executive of the World Branding Forum
- Bai Yansong (白岩松, 1968), Chinese host
- Rose Pak (白蘭; 1947-2016) Chinese-born political activist in San Francisco, California
- Michelle Bai (白冰, 1986) is a Chinese actress and singer
- Bai Jingting (白敬亭, 1993) Chinese Actor
- Bai Jiajun (柏佳骏; 1991) is a Chinese football player
- Bai Wenwei (柏文蔚; 1876-1947), KMT General, Governor of Anhui Province, Advisor to Presidential Palace, Chairman Anhui Provincial Government, KMT Central Party Committee, and Central Executive Committee
- Bai Xiaolei (柏小磊; 1985-) is a Chinese football player born in Dalian
- Bai Yan (柏衍; 1989-) is a Chinese male tennis player born in Nanjing, Jiangsu
- Penname: Bo Yang (柏楊; 1920 – 2008), was a Taiwanese poet, essayist and historian, real name Guo Dingsheng (郭定生)
- Pai Tzu-li, (拜自立) Chinese Muslim General of the Republic of China
As part of a stagename/pseudonymEdit
- Bai Guang (白光 stagename) (1921–1999), birth name Shi Yongfen (史永芬) movie star and singer