BMW 4 Series
The BMW 4 Series is a range of compact executive cars manufactured by BMW since 2013. The 4 Series was created when BMW spun off the 2-door models (coupé and convertible) of the 3 Series into a separate series. The 4 Series is currently in its second generation.
|BMW 4 Series|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact executive car (D)|
|Related||BMW 3 Series|
|Predecessor||BMW 3 Series (E92/E93)|
The original 4 Series concept car was unveiled in January 2013 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michigan. Both generations have been produced in the coupé, convertible and 5-door liftback (marketed as "Gran Coupé") body styles. The engines available for the first generation were turbocharged inline-3, inline-4 and inline-6 engines fueled by petrol or diesel. For the second generation, a plug-in hybrid powertrain was introduced. As per the equivalent 3 Series generations, the 4 Series' drivetrain layout is rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive ("xDrive").
The BMW M4 is the high-performance version of the 4 Series. The first generation of the M4 is called the F82/F83 and uses the same turbocharged inline-six petrol engine as the F80/F81 M3.
First generation (F32/F33/F36; 2013)Edit
The first generation of the 4 Series consists of the following body styles:
- 2-door coupé (F32 model code)
- 2-door convertible (F33 model code)
- 5-door liftback (F36 model code; marketed as the 4 Series Gran Coupé)
This generation has been produced since 2014 and is often collectively referred to as the F32. The F32 was introduced as the successor to the E92/E93 coupé/convertible models of the fifth-generation 3 Series range. The F32 is produced alongside - and shares many features with - the F30 3 Series. As with the F30 3 Series range, the F32/F33/F36 is powered by turbocharged petrol and diesel engines with 3 cylinders (petrol only), 4 cylinders, and 6 cylinders.
Second generation (G22/G23/G26; 2020)Edit
The second generation of the 4 Series consists of the following body styles:
- 2-door coupé (G22 model code)
- 2-door convertible (G23 model code)
- 5-door liftback (G26 model code; marketed as the 4 Series Gran Coupé)
This generation was launched in June 2020 and is currently in production. The G22/G23/G26 will be produced alongside - and shares many features with - the G20 3 Series. As with the G20 3 Series range, the G22/G23/G26 will be powered by turbocharged petrol and diesel engines.
Unlike its predecessor, the new 4 Series has a significant departure in design from the 3 Series in order to distinguish between the two models and to move the 4 Series upscale. The most notable of the design changes is the large kidney grille at the front which was inspired by the 1930s BMW 328.
- "First Look: BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept". www.automobilemag.com. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe". www.bmw.com. Archived from the original on 8 December 2012.
- "The new BMW M3 Sedan and new BMW M4 Coupe". www.press.bmwgroup.com. Retrieved 2018-04-22.
- "Domagoj Dukec BMW Design talks about the BMW Concept 4 Series". BMW BLOG. 2019-10-10. Retrieved 2020-06-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to BMW 4 Series.|