the Church of Notre-Dame
|Intercommunality||CC Pays Rethélois|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Didier Marby|
|13.19 km2 (5.09 sq mi)|
|• Density||35/km2 (92/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||57–130 m (187–427 ft) |
(avg. 60 m or 200 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Avalois or Avaloises.
The commune has been awarded two flowers by the National Council of Towns and Villages in Bloom in the Competition of cities and villages in Bloom.
Avaux is located some 22 km west by south-west of Rethel and 38 km south-east of Laon. Access to the commune is by the D523 from Évergnicourt in the south-west which changes to the D137 at the border then continues to the village and north-east to join the D18 south-west of Saint-Germainmont. The D966 forms the western border of the commune as it goes south from Lor to Evergnicourt. Apart from thin strips of forest along the eastern and southern borders the commune is entirely farmland.
The Canal latéral à l'Aisne forms the southern border of the commune and the Aisne river forms the eastern border then runs through the south of the commune parallel to the canal as it flows west to eventually join the Seine at Conflans-Sainte-Honorine.
Neighbouring communes and villagesEdit
|The official status of the blazon remains to be determined.
List of Successive Mayors
In 2017 the commune had 466 inhabitants.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE|
Sites and monumentsEdit
Avaux was once called Asfeld-le-Château as it was the seat of a fortified house of the Counts of Avaux. The chateau has disappeared.
The Church of Notre-Dame contains a Painting: the Nativity of the Virgin (18th century) , which is registered as an historical object.
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2018". INSEE. 28 December 2020.
- Inhabitants of Ardennes (in French)
- Avaux in the Competition for Towns and Villages in Bloom Archived December 10, 2014, at the Wayback Machine (in French)
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Avaux, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM08000040 Painting: the Nativity of the Virgin (in French)
- Yannick Hureaux evoking his friend Yves Gibeau in a conference at Avaux on 22 May 2009 Article on 4 June 2009 extracted from l'Union magazine (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Avaux.|